Author Topic: Assymetry (Traps)  (Read 2018 times)

ericjason73

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Assymetry (Traps)
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
Hey guys,

I need advice on correcting asymmetry with my traps.  My left trap is prone to be larger and higer than my right...even when using dumb bells.  Any suggestions?

-Eric

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Assymetry (Traps)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:28:50 AM »
-Some degree of imbalance isn't unnatural, don't worry about it unless it's obvious.

-Add a few more sets to the weaker side, and/or do less for the larger side.

-Switch hands while pounding one out, it should help.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
probably has a lot to do with genetics
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »
I say just change the wieght and speed that you do the excersise.  Go lighter and do the reps much much slower. Sometimes you don't see it but if your just pounding out reps you might be bringing one shoulder higher or lower and getting different stretches and contractions.  Slow it down...lighten it up and hit both traps equally don't neglect the bigger one and focus on the smaller one. IMO its what i would do.
bodybuildersreality.com

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:01:45 PM »
Traps are over rated.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 08:13:11 AM »
Use DB's or a trap bar and stand in front of a mirror and study how your preforming the shrugs. Or do  one at a time DB shrugs, alternating after each set, again in front of a mirror. Always start a one arm DB exercise using the weaker side first.  Usually our dominate side (right/left side) will tend to lead the other side and take up a larger percentage of the work loan weither we are aware of it or not. And by nature, one side will always be a little larger than the other. Doing more sets for a lagging side is never the right answer. Good Luck.

dalkiel

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48:24 PM »
I'm having the same problem. Did very heavy/high rep shrugs but produced no results. I'm currently experimenting with one arm dumbell upright rows/front raises.

Let me know if you found a better solution. JPM was right about the dominant side. I barely need weight to "feel" my dominant (left) side work but my stronger yet smaller (right) trap barely feels a thing even during concentrated efforts.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 02:06:18 PM »
i have probeml like that wi coupl muscles,left side of chest,left tear drop,left lat all slightly bigger,tho i really try focus on lifting and contracting weight equally with both sides.
Its weird b/c i think i have better mind muscle connection with right side of body.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 06:11:23 AM »
-Add a few more sets to the weaker side, and/or do less for the larger side.

I don't think making any muscle smaller should be advised, unless it's a severe/aestheticly unpleasing imbalance, by which it would only be temporary. I suggest isolating it and doing some intensity techniques to shock it into growing.

As for anyone with one side smaller/bigger than the other, that probably comes from years of doing things with one side more than the other. Weight training can only help bring the body into balance with the right attention.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »
Db shoulder presses, Db shrugs, Db upright rows, Cross body 1 arm cable uprights - In general db's..
Make sure you alternate your grip deadlifting!!  I have the same challenge..
Good luck.   Stretch - stretch - stretch...

JPM - I already know what your going to say...  lol

XS