Author Topic: is back extensions necessary?  (Read 5553 times)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
is back extensions necessary?
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
i would think theyre not necessary that you hit that part of the back enough with deadlifts and barbell rows but then i remember dorian yates doing them and he really narrowed down the number of exercises he would do and yet he thought it was important enough to include so what do you say?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: is back extensions necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
Doing an exercise where gravity "elongates" the spine is vital. Reverse hypers may be even better.
Gravity is a bitch and once the damage is done you may regret a lot of things.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »
It's a fantastic lower back and hamstring exercise. You even feel the glutes contracting. I think the first I heard of it was when Vasily Alekseyev was photographed using a gymnastic horse with his legs braced with a barbell across his neck.  Shortly after the so called hyper extension bench was being made by various companies. I personally think it's one of the most important exercises going. Is it necessary? Is any exercise necessary? Just another tool in the case.

When you do a semi stiff legged dead lift it effects the lower back hard but the resistance falls off at the top. When you combine it with back extensions you really have a complete lower back workout.

Early in my lifting life I always was hurting my lower back. When I put back extensions in it seems my lower back was bullet proof.

the trainer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
It's a fantastic lower back and hamstring exercise. You even feel the glutes contracting. I think the first I heard of it was when Vasily Alekseyev was photographed using a gymnastic horse with his legs braced with a barbell across his neck.  Shortly after the so called hyper extension bench was being made by various companies. I personally think it's one of the most important exercises going. Is it necessary? Is any exercise necessary? Just another tool in the case.

When you do a semi stiff legged dead lift it effects the lower back hard but the resistance falls off at the top. When you combine it with back extensions you really have a complete lower back workout.

Early in my lifting life I always was hurting my lower back. When I put back extensions in it seems my lower back was bullet proof.

Outed

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
thanks guys!

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
Here's mine collecting dust in the basement.

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
Reverse hypers are even better, but most gyms don't have a reverse hyper bench.  I just bought one from Westside Barbell.  Best piece of equipment I've ever used.  Nothin will give you the kind of pump this thing does in your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings.  Decompresses your disks at the same time it adds pounds to your squat and deadlift. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
No coincidence Thecumchugger wants his lower back to look tight for his bf.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
I think lower back is only noticeable when body fat is low.

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
I think it helps alot... I know it's helped my squat and bench... I go really heavy though. I would say don't get crazy with it though. No real reason to get crazy with it. Just get a nice squeeze...
i

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »
i would think theyre not necessary that you hit that part of the back enough with deadlifts and barbell rows but then i remember dorian yates doing them and he really narrowed down the number of exercises he would do and yet he thought it was important enough to include so what do you say?

well considering you're a homosexual

meaning you fuck men

the answer is i don't know

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
I think it helps alot... I know it's helped my squat and bench... I go really heavy though. I would say don't get crazy with it though. No real reason to get crazy with it. Just get a nice squeeze...

you must be one of the bigger guys here then.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »

Stronger the posterior chain the bigger the squat and deadlift. Goes right along with saving the knees.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
When I used to do these every workout, my lower back was as thick and a cock and as strong as a bull.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
As mentioned above, the squat, Dl, cleans, Hi-pulls, BB rows can only be improved with lower back work.. Some gain an extra 10b to 15 lbs on their squats fairly fast.  Also improvement in overhead pressing.

Also want to work the abs with serious intent, meaning using heavier weight and a lower rep patters. Abs and the lower back support each other, and working both equally hard insure equal muscle balance, encouraging more strength.....not weak link. Probably could throw that lifting belt away, the one that some guys get addicted too (and tend to wear incorrectly anyway).

Having a bar on the shoulders (GoodMorning for example) and holding the bar in front of the body (SLDL's for example) give different dynamic to each movement. Extensions are excellent for most BB'ers. An exercise that would do well to become a habit in training sessions.

For unusual heavy development and back thickness, checkout  some of the Olympic & power lifters.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:16 AM »

yes good post... i´ve combined it before with leg curls and it does work very well. Felt it in my Hamstrings because i did a slightly shorter range of motion to keep them working. A very good glute and lower back exercise for the majority of people and not just bodybuilders.