Author Topic: Speeding cop on computer kills kid on bike... Gets a "careless driving" ticket  (Read 14045 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
UPDATE TO CASE:
They determined the cop was speeding and using his laptop, both violations.

They gave him a "careless driving" ticket.   He's been back on the force since a few days after the wreck.

People are outraged locally... he killed a 15 year old riding his bike to school... playing on a computer (policy of LSCO is to pull over to use, always) while speeding (at rates of "at least 50 in a 45mph").

He got a careless driving ticket.   No reckless, no manslaughter, no anything.  The same thing we'd get for drifting 2 lanes to turn without signaling, or eating a burger while driving (and hitting nobody).   Careless driving.  A ticket.  And they wait til friday PM news dump to release it.

www.nbc-2.com

In SW Florida, this is a huge hotbutton issue.  

Basically, cop is driving "at least" 50 mph in a 45 mph limit zone.  He runs over kid who is legally in the road, but may not have had lights on his bike (family said he had reflectors, but who knows).   He kills kid with his car.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/26399611/report-released-on-deputy-involved-crash-that-killed-cape-teen

So the Q is - for cops or for anyone - if you are speeding, and it's proven (as it is here with the car chip metrics), are  you at fault?  Is this cop looking at jail time?  Fired from police dept, etc?  

People are HUGELY divided here... some say "Hey, everyone speeds".   Other say "kid was 15, driving to school, cop broke law, lock him up".   What is the legal precedent here?  (Note: "At Least" wording may mean cop was going faster - they do speed bigtime on that street).

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Speeding cop kills kid on bike... who is at fault?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »

Basically, cop is driving "at least" 50 mph in a 45 mph limit zone.  He runs over kid who is legally in the road, but may not have had lights on his bike (family said he had reflectors, but who knows).   He kills kid with his car.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/26399611/report-released-on-deputy-involved-crash-that-killed-cape-teen

So the Q is - for cops or for anyone - if you are speeding, and it's proven (as it is here with the car chip metrics), are  you at fault?  Is this cop looking at jail time?  Fired from police dept, etc?  

People are HUGELY divided here... some say "Hey, everyone speeds".   Other say "kid was 15, driving to school, cop broke law, lock him up".   What is the legal precedent here?  (Note: "At Least" wording may mean cop was going faster - they do speed bigtime on that street).

What time of day was the accident? How dark was it?

It's still August, school isn't in session yet is it? (you said that the kid was on the way to school)

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:30:19 AM »
Speeding doesn't necessarily mean fault or dangerous driving. Depends on situation.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »
If he is found at fault, he should be fired.  If he was on his phone or something, he should be fired.  If he was speeding i.e. reckless driving, he should be given legal punishment.  Accidents happen, and if it was just that, through no real fault of the cop or the boys, then he should get off with just his conscious haunting him for the rest of his life.  This is why I do not bike on the open road.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07:27 AM »
The kid probably didn't even lift.
~

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »
Him being a cop is relevant how? There are different standards for cops?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »
Cops generally dont give tickets for a 5mph over offense.

I think the speeding thing is irrelevant to the situation. It wouldnt have been any different if he was going 45mph.

Itd be one thing if he was going 90 in a 40, then id say its an issue. But 50 in a 45? Please. Wouldnt have changed a thing.

I think itd have more to do with visibility, kid following rules of the road, reflectors, etc.

If the cop couldnt see the kid, then not much he cluld have done.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:19:13 AM »
Kid was hit by cop around 6:15 am.  it was a little dark there.  Some say that means the cop should have been MORE cautious.  First week of school.  Kid was driving his bike.  There were 30 to 40 feet of skid mark where the cop TRIED to avoid hitting kid.  Swerved too.  Bike was well under cop car, kid was launched pretty far.  Violent crash.  

They have 100% proof the cop was speeding, although they haven't said what "at least 50 mph" means.  I guess what I'm asking is, if the kid was doing everything legal - riding his bike with a reflector on a public road where no sidewalks available - And the cop was 100% proven to be speeding - What will the likely response be?

Will cop be charged/fired?   I'm just curious if there's a precedent for this.  Most estimate he was actually going 60-ish, based upon the crazy skid marks and violence of crash... and cops FLY thru that area usually.  That actual number will be released later - they just made it clear he WAS speeding and emphasized "at least".  So *IF* it ends up being 50 or 60 mph... and he killed a 15 year old kid... does that cop see charges?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »
Kid was hit by cop around 6:15 am.  it was a little dark there.  Some say that means the cop should have been MORE cautious.  First week of school.  Kid was driving his bike.  There were 30 to 40 feet of skid mark where the cop TRIED to avoid hitting kid.  Swerved too.  Bike was well under cop car, kid was launched pretty far.  Violent crash.  

They have 100% proof the cop was speeding, although they haven't said what "at least 50 mph" means.  I guess what I'm asking is, if the kid was doing everything legal - riding his bike with a reflector on a public road where no sidewalks available - And the cop was 100% proven to be speeding - What will the likely response be?

Will cop be charged/fired?   I'm just curious if there's a precedent for this.  Most estimate he was actually going 60-ish, based upon the crazy skid marks and violence of crash... and cops FLY thru that area usually.  That actual number will be released later - they just made it clear he WAS speeding and emphasized "at least".  So *IF* it ends up being 50 or 60 mph... and he killed a 15 year old kid... does that cop see charges?
50mph in a 45 is nothing. 55 in a 45 would probably make a bit of difference. 60mph in a 45 could be considered reckless driving by police standards.

If the kid didnt have reflectors and couldnt be seen, cop probably shouldnt be charged unless he was going in excess of 15mph over. Now, if the kid DID have all the proper gear, hell probably be charged no matter what.

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
The driver is responsible for operating his vehicle.  Doesn't matter what his profession is.  Being that he's a cop, his cell phone record probably lists a  call to the 16 year old counter girl at the local deli prior to his killing the child on the bike. The hero was probably on his way there and not paying attention to the surroundings....the scumbag.

The child's family should expect the cop to be cleared of any wrongdoing.  They should then pursue an alternate form of justice.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »
I react strongly when I see cops speeding in non-emergency situations. The police are not above the law.
A

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:43:08 AM »
Need to know the race of the kid before I can answer.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »

Basically, cop is driving "at least" 50 mph in a 45 mph limit zone.  He runs over kid who is legally in the road, but may not have had lights on his bike (family said he had reflectors, but who knows).   He kills kid with his car.

So the Q is - for cops or for anyone - if you are speeding, and it's proven (as it is here with the car chip metrics), are  you at fault?  Is this cop looking at jail time?  Fired from police dept, etc? 

People are HUGELY divided here... some say "Hey, everyone speeds".   Other say "kid was 15, driving to school, cop broke law, lock him up".   What is the legal precedent here?  (Note: "At Least" wording may mean cop was going faster - they do speed bigtime on that street).

Who is at fault?

Primary Captain and The Organization

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »
50mph in a 45 is nothing. 55 in a 45 would probably make a bit of difference. 60mph in a 45 could be considered reckless driving by police standards.

If the kid didnt have reflectors and couldnt be seen, cop probably shouldnt be charged unless he was going in excess of 15mph over. Now, if the kid DID have all the proper gear, hell probably be charged no matter what.

This is what I'm curious about.   I always had the belief that if you're speeding, you're speeding.  Even if practically, there probably isn't much difference in stopping time at 45 vs 46 mph.  I always figured, if you're speeding, you're liable, criminally, etc.

So it's not really a debate on "could the cop have stopped at 45 mph vs 55 or 60 mph?

The parents said he had reflectors on bike.  Cops saying otherwise, but the bike was smashed under cop car and taken into impound with the car.   Cops are doing a huge campaign on getting sidewalks, lights, etc... and that's all good... but these cops do routinely break the speed limit by 15 mph, when they're just cruising around.   It's foggy, dark... if he's going 40 instead of 60, things probably end differently.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »
If the kid was black then it was his fault according to getbig experts.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:55:32 AM »
Interesting. This is what's happening in my home town this week. All residential school zones will have a reduced speed limit in the areas surround the school.

That's in km/hr. It's under 19 mph for you Yanks.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
This is what I'm curious about.   I always had the belief that if you're speeding, you're speeding.  Even if practically, there probably isn't much difference in stopping time at 45 vs 46 mph.  I always figured, if you're speeding, you're liable, criminally, etc.

So it's not really a debate on "could the cop have stopped at 45 mph vs 55 or 60 mph?

The parents said he had reflectors on bike.  Cops saying otherwise, but the bike was smashed under cop car and taken into impound with the car.   Cops are doing a huge campaign on getting sidewalks, lights, etc... and that's all good... but these cops do routinely break the speed limit by 15 mph, when they're just cruising around.   It's foggy, dark... if he's going 40 instead of 60, things probably end differently.

Eh... its not really a black and white line on speeding.

Cops in most places ive lived wont stop you for anything under 10mph over....

I think the thing youre missing is, the speed is largely irrelevant. He hit the kid, so really unless he just couldnt see the kid, hes going to be at some kind of fault. But no, i wouldnt say just because he was going 5mph ovwe makes him automatically guilty. By your logic he could have been going .01mph over and be guilty because he broke the law.

Thats how children look at things, the reality is everything is shades of gray.... there is no black/white in the real world.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »
. but these cops do routinely break the speed limit by 15 mph, when they're just cruising around.   It's foggy, dark... if he's going 40 instead of 60, things probably end differently.

Yes they do.  The problem is the mentality that allows them to rationalize breaking the law.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »
But no, i wouldnt say just because he was going 5mph ovwe makes him automatically guilty. By your logic he could have been going .01mph over and be guilty because he broke the law.

Thats how children look at things, the reality is everything is shades of gray.... there is no black/white in the real world.

I guess I should phrase it as leagally/criminally culpable.

if he's going 25% over the speed limit... 60 in a 45, let's say... he's near a school, first week of school, where kids are all over on bikes, and he's knowingly breaking limit in a non-emergency way... will he see charges?

And then we'd work backwards... 55 in a 45 is a big deal.  50 in a 45 is probably not ideal either.   What is the LEGAL CUTOFF, I guess I'm wondering.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Laws only apply to the public, Cops are above the Law

i see them all the time talking on their cellphones or txting in traffic, using their emergency lights to beat a traffic jam and then turn off the lights

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
using their emergency lights to beat a traffic jam and then turn off the lights

There are 3 different levels of getting to an emergency call, code 1, code 2 and code 3.

Code 1 they only use the lights to go through intersections.

Code 2 they have the lights on the whole time.

Code 3 is they have lights and sirens on.

It depends on the type of emergency they are going to.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
There are 3 different levels of getting to an emergency call, code 1, code 2 and code 3.

Code 1 they only use the lights to go through intersections.

Code 2 they have the lights on the whole time.

Code 3 is they have lights and sirens on.

It depends on the type of emergency they are going to.

Fail.  Your post mentions nothing about race, docking, or schmoeing.  Your Knooger card has been rescinded.

MikMaq

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »
Kid was riding to fucking school.

It's not like he was running around gangbanging.

Cop should serve automatic year in prison.

Regardless of speed he should of seen that kid at that speed limited

Why can't people admit they just don't pay attention when driving.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
Him being a cop is relevant how? There are different standards for cops?

YES. 
Ψ

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »
I react strongly when I see cops speeding in non-emergency situations. The police are not above the law.

I see cops doing dangerous stuff on the road A LOT, and in non-emergency situations.  These douche bags love to flaunt it.
Ψ