Author Topic: Dorian Yate was the last real bodybuilder  (Read 10569 times)

blackpele

• Getbig III
Dorian Yate was the last real bodybuilder
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
Dorian had no guru, no trainer, no social media to hype himself, nothing, the guy even left his home at 15 year old, having a real job in a factory, no gay for pay, prostitution or shit like that.
 Today's bodybuilders are a joke, I still remember Phil Heath being interview at last year's Olympia, the chick asked him why he can't stand up and he told her that his guru had him sitting for at least three hours.........

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Dorian Yate was the last real bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:58 AM »
Hardly any of the early 90's guys had gurus... They all did it on there own, now even the gurus have gurus...

I remember a few yr back taking the piss on one of the UK boards when a well known 'expert' was training and prepping guys and was getting his own prep done off somone else?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
Dorian had no guru, no trainer, no social media to hype himself, nothing, the guy even left his home at 15 year old, having a real job in a factory, no gay for pay, prostitution or shit like that.
 Today's bodybuilders are a joke, I still remember Phil Heath being interview at last year's Olympia, the chick asked him why he can't stand up and he told her that his guru had him sitting for at least three hours.........

if you think nobody advised dorian on his prep or that there was no g4p you must be naive

everyone learned from somebody or several people .. the science of getting ripped is more complexthan people think and dorian was very very conditioned for most of his shows

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »
Hardly any of the early 90's guys had gurus... They all did it on there own, now even the gurus have gurus...

I remember a few yr back taking the piss on one of the UK boards when a well known 'expert' was training and prepping guys and was getting his own prep done off somone else?

Ha, that sounds familiar.  who was it. are they still around now.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »
if you think nobody advised dorian on his prep or that there was no g4p you must be naive

everyone learned from somebody or several people .. the science of getting ripped is more complexthan people think and dorian was very very conditioned for most of his shows

Theres a difference between learning from people and having your will handed over to another person. Dorian was always an individual.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:00:16 AM »
whatabout leroy

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:08:16 AM »

Big difference getting pointers off experienced people, to being spoonfed what to do on an hr to hr basis... He gad no guru full stop... Neither did Shawn or Nasser etc etc

Simple Simon

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 04:11:54 AM »

Said the guy who wants money to do it then tells them to eat meat and veg.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
didnt yates base some of his training principles from the mentzer brothers?
R

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 04:32:27 AM »
whatabout leroy

COME ON YATES, YOU GOT IT, ONE MORE THERE

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:33 AM »
didnt yates base some of his training principles from the mentzer brothers?

Kinda sorta. Dorian trained with Mike for about a week and Mike took major advantage and tried to make it seem like he trained Dorian and was a big part of his success. Yates talks about this in his youtube videos.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:47:30 AM »
laugh at the claim of dorian being a natural!!

not saying he did megadoses of anything but surely he did deca at one time or other during his career no  ???

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:14 AM »
laugh at the claim of dorian being a natural!!

not saying he did megadoses of anything but surely he did deca at one time or other during his career no  ???

i heard yates talking to a bodybuilder at my old gym and him saying quote(the reason no one will beat me mate is because no one is got the BALLS to take as much DRUGS as me consistantly),quote(and no one is willing to train as hard as me day in and day out), quote(and stay strict on his diet year round also,no off time for me mate)  this was 92-93
R

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 05:12:02 AM »

i heard yates talking to a bodybuilder at my old gym and him saying quote(the reason no one will beat me mate is because no one is got the BALLS to take as much DRUGS as me consistantly),quote(and no one is willing to train as hard as me day in and day out), quote(and stay strict on his diet year round also,no off time for me mate)  this was 92-93

yup

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 05:15:17 AM »

He talked about this in some videos after his retirement..

That badically he was so OCD during his Olympis run that everything he did, evey action he took, was pointed at winning his next O... whether it be diet, training, drugs... loke a man possessed, he pushed everything else out of his life..

The only thing that existed was being better, being bigger, being more conditioned, eating correctly, druggimg correctly...

He never took time off and he never backed off... which ultimately is why he tore so many muscles...

He also stated when he retired he was so lost without that all encompassing lifestyle that he floated around, got himself into trouble because he had nothing to focus his mind and insane drive and willpower on anymore. I think he said it nearly would have killed him had he not met Gal and started to find some balance in his life.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 05:19:50 AM »
He talked about this in some videos after his retirement..

That badically he was so OCD during his Olympis run that everything he did, evey action he took, was pointed at winning his next O... whether it be diet, training, drugs... loke a man possessed, he pushed everything else out of his life..

The only thing that existed was being better, being bigger, being more conditioned, eating correctly, druggimg correctly...

He never took time off and he never backed off... which ultimately is why he tore so many muscles...

He also stated when he retired he was so lost without that all encompassing lifestyle that he floated around, got himself into trouble because he had nothing to focus his mind and insane drive and willpower on anymore. I think he said it nearly would have killed him had he not met Gal and started to find some balance in his life.

I recall him explaining his behaviour with that he wanted to treat BB as a serious job, and thus would be serious all the while he was competing professionally.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 05:23:14 AM »
I recall him explaining his behaviour with that he wanted to treat BB as a serious job, and thus would be serious all the while he was competing professionally.
yeah ive hear him say that as well, the interviews im speaking of were fairly recent, and he was reflecting on his competition days.

That he went full bore into BB so much that he drove everything else out, and everything was eating, sleeping, training, hormones.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »
Kinda sorta. Dorian trained with Mike for about a week and Mike took major advantage and tried to make it seem like he trained Dorian and was a big part of his success. Yates talks about this in his youtube videos.

I think he was in the gym with Mike for one day and Dorian let the down out Mentzer run with the scam that he was his trainer.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:11 AM »
I think he was in the gym with Mike for one day and Dorian let the down out Mentzer run with the scam that he was his trainer.
Something like that. Dorian used a variation on his ideas, but he trained with much, much more volume than Mentzer advocated.

I believe he even said he trained with a ton of volume in the beginning of his career as well....

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »

Good post and I agree.
Now, we have a ton of social media postings.
Had Dorian been Mr Olympia today, no doubt he would have utilized social media to enhance his fan base.

The modern sports world has a lot more analysis and fan attention on every detail due to social media and even fantasy leagues.

Kai, Jay and Phil are as much a bodybuilder, as Yates and Arnold were in their times.

Simple Simon

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:36 AM »

Bullshit.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:41 AM »
Bullshit.

I have a hard time believing that. If anything, I thought he always downplayed the drugs and claims to have taken no more than the next guy. Even if people didn't buy it, I thought that was his official stance with everyone.
O

Simple Simon

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 06:27:20 AM »
I have a hard time believing that. If anything, I thought he always downplayed the drugs and claims to have taken no more than the next guy. Even if people didn't buy it, I thought that was his official stance with everyone.
I lknow someone who travelled with him to a few of his Olympia's and is still a close friend of his, the statement of taking more drugs than anyone is totally out of character for him.
The comments about being dedicated year round are totally in character, thats why he said flex and Kevin would never beat him, they didnt live the life 24/7 365 days a year.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »
I lknow someone who travelled with him to a few of his Olympia's and is still a close friend of his, the statement of taking more drugs than anyone is totally out of character for him.
The comments about being dedicated year round are totally in character, thats why he said flex and Kevin would never beat him, they didnt live the life 24/7 365 days a year.
His interview i was speaking of he only spoke of the drugs as 'hormones', and never talked about usage except when directly asked about letting his kid use, and he very fankly and matter of factly states 'of course, he already does, theyre just hormones.'

He syas everything he learned originally came from things like Llewellyns book on hormones and that he didnt uae anything crazy, just the same stuff that everyone else used