Author Topic: Bodybuilding regrets?  (Read 19627 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bodybuilding regrets?
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Maybe you can relate to having some form of bodybuilding regret?

In my case, I have some nagging regrets about NOT doing more bodybuilding stuff.
I don't regret avoiding extreme drug use or getting a good education and career.

I do regret NOT going to more major contests , like the Olympia each year.
I competed at least 40 times , but never competed in the Team Universe or Masters nationals, etc.
My diet has really sucked for the last 10 years and my workouts have been inconsistent at best.
I've gradually gone to less shows each year and quit judging 3 years ago.

I've decided to get back into hardcore bodybuilding on my own terms* ( no BB drugs).
I'll start simple, by cleaning up my diet and training on a consistent basis.
I hope to compete in a regional show next summer and the over 50 masters nationals.
Plus, I'll go to a couple pro contests as well next year.

Waller

• Getbig IV
Re: Bodybuilding regrets?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:01:37 AM »
Not learning the importance of nutrition right at the beginning would be my biggest.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:01:51 AM »
Bodybuilding shows are beyond boring.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:23:29 AM »
Not learning the importance of nutrition right at the beginning would be my biggest.

Bingo.
It really is a LOT more important then anything else.
First thing I did was go to the store and buy plenty of good basic food and protein powder.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:25:44 AM »
Bodybuilding shows are beyond boring.

The addition of so many new NONbodybuilding divisions doesn't help the show , in my opinion.
BUT, wtf, I can oogle a bikini babe bending over and not get too upset.
Plus, I secretly want to make out with some of the hunky MPD dudes...no homo  :o

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:35 AM »
'Bulking' in any shape and form.

Eating too much, at any point in my years of training didn't help anything whatsoever apart from add a few pounds to my PB on big lifts (which probably in turn killed my joints lol)

Wish I had always kept under 12% BF

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:54 AM »

Eating too much, at any point in my years of training didn't help anything whatsoever apart from add a few pounds to my PB on big lifts (which probably in turn killed my joints lol)

T

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:31 AM »
Not working mind/muscle connection from the beginning, and just focusing on throwing weight around.

Ego training got me literally nowhere, it took me a ridiculous amount of time to finally start feeling the muscle im trying to hit actually work.

Im just now getting to the point where i feel the exercises hit the mucle, focusing on feeling it contract all the way through the movement and then focus on the negative, feeling it work all the way back. Its amazing the difference of when you actually start to FEEL the muscle moving the weight.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
Not fully realizing my potential by taking truckloads of drugs and thereby reaching my ultimate goal of having everyone hear stare at a photo of me and whisper in tones of adulation..."The Scott.  He died for us bitches".

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:24 AM »
Not working mind/muscle connection from the beginning, and just focusing on throwing weight around.

Ego training got me literally nowhere, it took me a ridiculous amount of time to finally start feeling the muscle im trying to hit actually work.

Im just now getting to the point where i feel the exercises hit the mucle, focusing on feeling it contract all the way through the movement and then focus on the negative, feeling it work all the way back. Its amazing the difference of when you actually start to FEEL the muscle moving the weight.

Funnily enough, some wierd old German guy in the showers started doing the classic 'give 19 year old boy BB tips while he is in shower furiously washing his ballbag' spiel when I first started training, about 'mind muscle connection' and 'feeling the weight move through the muscle' ' contracting fully every rep' etc, I thought it was just something skinny old guys say cause they're jealous of us bulkers who are banging out real weights

Wish I would have listened  :'(

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:09:58 AM »
Funnily enough, some wierd old German guy in the showers started doing the classic 'give 19 year old boy BB tips while he is in shower furiously washing his ballbag' spiel when I first started training, about 'mind muscle connection' and 'feeling the weight move through the muscle' ' contracting fully every rep' etc, I thought it was just something skinny old guys say cause they're jealous of us bulkers who are banging out real weights

Imagine what more you would have learned had you volunteered to wash his balls...no homo.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:30 AM »

Wish I hadn't been such a tight ass about putting on a little fat.  Could have got strong enough to talk about my lifts on Getbig instead of having to treat my numbers like a fucking national secret.

You can't win.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »

EVERY lifting related injury I had came from sloppy form with too much wt.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:45 AM »
Wish I hadn't been such a tight ass about putting on a little fat.  Could have got strong enough to talk about my lifts on Getbig instead of having to treat my numbers like a fucking national secret.

You can't win.

Good point, but rarely does anyone get inured when using strict form.
Plus, a "little fat" isn't the same as getting fat and chunky like me and many others.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
would have like to did more shows in 90's..

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:15 AM »
lmao @ doing the entire bb thing without the drugs

that's like going to work but not getting paid

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »
would have like to did more shows in 90's..
x2

I competed then, but I wish I had gone to more pro shows during the 90's. I missed a bunch of good bodybuilding and expo experiences.

Anyone else wish they went to more pro events?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
x2

I competed then, but I wish I had gone to more pro shows during the 90's. I missed a bunch of good bodybuilding and expo experiences.

Anyone else wish they went to more pro events?
well i meant competed more than i did,and yes seeing pro shows..

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
Je ne regrette rien

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »
i regret only starting roids at 25 when i could have started at 18

imagine how fucking big and ripped i would have been by now

:(

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 07:32:02 AM »
lmao @ doing the entire bb thing without the drugs

that's like going to work but not getting paid

I hear ya and understand that view.
I'm now 55 and way past any point where anything but personal satisfaction is important.
I can accept not winning . I can longer accept just sitting in the audience.
I want to participate on my own terms. I don't agree with extreme drugs use, but I don't care if others want to.
FYI, I do use prescribed Androgel to keep my testosterone levels in the ideal range ( no more, no less)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
I hear ya and understand that view.
I'm now 55 and way past any point where anything but personal satisfaction is important.
I can accept not winning . I can longer accept just sitting in the audience.
I want to participate on my own terms. I don't agree with extreme drugs use, but I don't care if others want to.
FYI, I do use prescribed Androgel to keep my testosterone levels in the ideal range ( no more, no less)
thats pretty neat but does it surpress natural levels? just curious

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »

maybe you did listen but you seem to have remembered his balls more than his brains
c

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »
maybe you did listen but you seem to have remembered his balls more than his brains

Oh look, it's getbig's worst poster. Good to see you still mastering your craft  ::)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »
thats pretty neat but does it surpress natural levels? just curious
Per one of my brothers that was prescribed Androgel, it does indeed suppress your own output and result in testicular atrophy.  He liked the way he felt but didn't care for that particular side effect so he stopped and within two weeks all was back to normal.