Author Topic: Jersey giant Johnnie Morant  (Read 50032 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Re: jersey giant johnnie morant
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
Back in the day, when Anadrol was real, the rumor was that Frank Santoriello took 10 per day.  A guy I knew had nose bleeds from 2 a day.  Today, if anyone says they have real Anadrol, I laugh.  2202s are long gone.

Simple Simon

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2014, 03:17:58 PM »
Back in the day, when Anadrol was real, the rumor was that Frank Santoriello took 10 per day.  A guy I knew had nose bleeds from 2 a day.  Today, if anyone says they have real Anadrol, I laugh.  2202s are long gone.
I knew a guy who took 10 Anapalon 50s a day (oxitosona), he was a big fat sack of shit.

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
I traning with Johnny Morant, here in Vegas, I think its right after he won his pro card.After we go through traning they were video tapping him.Walking down sahara blvd then Las Vegas BLVD.
All the pro bodybuilders and wrestlers used to train at George Eifermans gym.It was a hole in the wall.Maybe 1500sq, but it was as hardcore as it gets.
I just saw Jason Arntz at the Mr Olympia Expo.He works for Professional Supplements.I beleeive it was him.He is short, but he was really small.Maybe 160lbs? Not big at all.
I hung out with him when he turned pro.He was at the MHP booth, I am friends with Gerrard Dente.
Good guy.Atfer the Arnold Expo, we would all go out to eat at this nice Italina resteraunt downtown.We had a blast.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
and we cant forget the man who helped build most of these guys,john kemper(rip)

Kemper had a great Reeves-like build.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:24 AM »

I agree Harley,just like the real dbol,im sure u remember the ciba-giegy ones back in the early 80,s and man oh man did them things get u huge,i remember after 2 weeks of taking 7 a day I was strong as a bull and got round and hard,it was like magic
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »
The truth is that guys, even pros, took relatively less gear back then than do the pros of today.  To begin with, Growth Hormone didn't really hit the hardcore gyms in a big way until the late 80's and even then, not many knew too much about it.  I remember the first guy, Dean Barreca, who had something they called IGF and he told us it had to be taken in a very complex time-sensitive manner.  No one could get but he had some connection with Porter Cotrell in Kentucky I believe.  The drugs in the 80's were, for the most part, so real that high dosages just weren't needed.  Of course, the guys with great genetics benefited the most but you would be surprised at how many guys won difficult high level NPC shows with just about 800 mg of test and 1 anadrol a day.  And cardio?  There was 1 stationary bike at Westside Muscle and it basically collected dust.  High level NPC guys spent years in the gyms before they could break the top 3 at the Mr. NJ or Suburban.  The guy who won those shows usually would go on to win the Jr. USA or Jr. Nationals the same year. Then, he would take 1-2 years to improve enough to break the top 5 at the Nationals.  Amazing physiques like Gerard Dente, Beau Matlock, Edgar Fletcher, etc . didn't become pros!!!!  Me personally, I would take each of their physiques over some of what I see in the top 10 of the Olympia, but again, I favor a little different style of physique. 

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »
I agree Harley,just like the real dbol,im sure u remember the ciba-giegy ones back in the early 80,s and man oh man did them things get u huge,i remember after 2 weeks of taking 7 a day I was strong as a bull and got round and hard,it was like magic
I would never touch Anadrol because of all the stories of nosebleeds and also insane nightmares and of course toxicity. The Ciba Dbols were the best.

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »
I just saw Jason Arntz at the Mr Olympia Expo.He works for Professional Supplements.I beleeive it was him.He is short, but he was really small.Maybe 160lbs? Not big at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

False not true! Just saw Jason at the NPC NJ 4 weeks ago, big, full, hard I would say close to 200lbs. A very nice guy! We spoke about the late 80's early 90's and bodybuilding.  A great family man and good business guy, he is keeping busy, but still puts his time in the gym!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

False not true! Just saw Jason at the NPC NJ 4 weeks ago, big, full, hard I would say close to 200lbs. A very nice guy! We spoke about the late 80's early 90's and bodybuilding.  A great family man and good business guy, he is keeping busy, but still puts his time in the gym!

good to hear,when I heard he looked small and 160 I was shocked, it would be safe to say that Jason is always in top shape or close to it year round.when I trained at diamond I can honestly never remember a time when he was smooth,id always see him at the counter eating his yam with chicken breast. hes a very dedicated bodybuilder and he trains hard as hell,i remember being in the leg room doing legs while he was there doing legs also and he was very intense.just around the time he turned pro he was training at the same time as me in early morning,he was training with his brother and some Italian dude,pretty thick also.tony Fernandez used to help him with his dieting alot
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
    Whatever differences I may have with Jason Arntz, several things are for sure.  He is never small (this is in terms of the real world, not the bodybuilding stage).  Few guys ever carry around that amount of thickness for so long. He is still thick.  To see him in clothes, up front, is to wonder how can a person achieve that type of girth.  He really is thick for his height and considering he does not compete.  Jason's eating habits are a lifestyle.  That type of dedication and sacrifice have to be admired.  He, in many respects, does still live the lifestyle.
    I remember doing legs at Diamond Gym with Craig at the same time Jason was doing legs with now deceased Matt Duvall.  I am not sure I ever met a friendlier, more down to earth pro bb than Matt Duvall. 
    I am one of those training partners that likes to yell at the other guy while training and get things amped up.  I have been known to "trash talk" during training but without malice or mean intentions.  Jason was a bit surprised when I started trashing him, in front of him, challenging him during our repsective yet simultaneous leg workouts.  Matt, however, immediately began smiling and absorbed all of my hazing and gave it back just a bit.  It was a very fun workout and we all thrived off each other's energy.  I once, while doing legs with my old training partner, Vinnie Galanti, was asked to leave a gym (I believe it was a Powerhouse in Denville, NJ).  I yelled and taunted Vinnie so much that the soccer moms got upset and called the front desk.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
u know whats cool is that diamond gym hasn't really changed at all in all these years as far as equipment and atmosphere go,dont get me wrong they still get new pieces from time to time but the leg room is pretty much the same since 1982 when I used to legs there,only difference is the locker rooms used to be downstairs next to the leg room,now they r upstairs.the atmosphere is still hardcore and basic,u know when u walk in there its time to get down to some good old fashioned busting ass training,both john and Shirley are awesome,it was sad to hear john died, everybody misses him
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
I agree as Dwayne, the owner, does a fantastic job of paying homage to John and keeping the place hardcore.  Dwayne really is a credit to the gym and bodybuilding and he too, possessed and still does, a great physique.  He is very welcoming to bodybuilders and just a friendly, nice guy.  There is though, compared to years ago, a paucity of true, hardcore bodybuilders in all gyms.  You knew you achieved something back in the day if your photo was on the wall of Diamond, Westside or Strong & Shapely.  Craig was always sure to film some Battle for the Olympia workouts at Diamond.  We also did a good leg workout at Bev Francis' in Long Island which they captured on a Battle for the Olympia.  I really enjoy those videos as you get a really good look at just how insanely impressive are all those physiques.  Watching guys working out just before the Olympia really emphasizes just how incredible those guys, all of them, really look.  When you watch those videos, it's very different than looking at pictures posted on the web of the guys on stage.  I know many guys don't like Richard Jones, especially on stage, but when you see him walking around, training and posing, by himself on those videos, you wonder just how far from perfection is a physique like that.  Any true fan should see what these guys look like in those videos and the impression is everlasting and quite motivating.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
I agree as Dwayne, the owner, does a fantastic job of paying homage to John and keeping the place hardcore.  Dwayne really is a credit to the gym and bodybuilding and he too, possessed and still does, a great physique.  He is very welcoming to bodybuilders and just a friendly, nice guy.  There is though, compared to years ago, a paucity of true, hardcore bodybuilders in all gyms.  You knew you achieved something back in the day if your photo was on the wall of Diamond, Westside or Strong & Shapely.  Craig was always sure to film some Battle for the Olympia workouts at Diamond.  We also did a good leg workout at Bev Francis' in Long Island which they captured on a Battle for the Olympia.  I really enjoy those videos as you get a really good look at just how insanely impressive are all those physiques.  Watching guys working out just before the Olympia really emphasizes just how incredible those guys, all of them, really look.  When you watch those videos, it's very different than looking at pictures posted on the web of the guys on stage.  I know many guys don't like Richard Jones, especially on stage, but when you see him walking around, training and posing, by himself on those videos, you wonder just how far from perfection is a physique like that.  Any true fan should see what these guys look like in those videos and the impression is everlasting and quite motivating.

I agree,i remember all those cool photos up on the walls,nicky lavitola,Lucho,morant,duccasee,matlock,craig richardson,armando pires,julio Camacho,dwayne broadway ect, the names go on and on,i remember in between sets id be checking out all the pics.they still got that platz poster in the legroom which is cool
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
    Armando Perry and his brother had physiques like no one else.  Talk about posing!!!  Rock hard, no bloated gut, muscular and entertaining.  Where is that today?
    Would love to ask you one day about your BJJ background but I know this is a bodybuilding forum.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
    Armando Perry and his brother had physiques like no one else.  Talk about posing!!!  Rock hard, no bloated gut, muscular and entertaining.  Where is that today?
    Would love to ask you one day about your BJJ background but I know this is a bodybuilding forum.

yea man Armando and gill,hes known as jesse now,had sick legs,armando was another beau matlock as far as shape went,totally flawless imo,i miss it there,i remember in 1983 I was working out and in comes ricky steamboat and mr wonderful paul orndorff,i was like oh shit :o also I was training one morning in 82 and worked in on lat pulldowns with mrs Olympia Carla dunlap,i had some great times there
R

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
   Armando Perry and his brother had physiques like no one else.  Talk about posing!!!  Rock hard, no bloated gut, muscular and entertaining.  Where is that today?

Is Armando Perry's brother Manny Perry who became a stunt man and stood in for Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk? I met Manny a few times in Venice. Really nice guy with a good sense of humor. Great physique as well!

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
I conducted the interview and wrote the text to which that middle pic was accompanied at MuscleMag.

Nice guy, by the way.

I enjoyed your articles, and Zulak's honesty about competitive bodybuilding over 20 years ago was a breath of fresh air. I read MMI religiously from the late 80's into about the mid 90's. Not so much after they got carried away with the whole Muscletech thing.  :-\
A

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
    I once accompanied Craig to the MMI headquarters in Canada for Craig's photoshoot.  The people there worked out of a massive warehouse. They couldn't have been nicer.  Robert Kennedy himself came out and shook hands and chatted with us for a short time.  He was very nice.  I remember a long conversation in the office of their main writer who had a funny nom de plume (I think it was Johnny Fitness) who just loved the old school bodybuilding, especially Arnold.
    At some point, I found myself alone wandering throughout the mostly empty building and came upon their many stacks of inventory.  There they had every MuscleMag magazine ever printed.  It was great going through them all and then looking at all the boxes of videos and clothes and equipment you just sadly knew they were never going to ever be able to sell again. 
    Their photoshoots were long and exhausting.  They got everything they could for the money they paid the bodybuilder.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
Is Armando Perry's brother Manny Perry who became a stunt man and stood in for Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk? I met Manny a few times in Venice. Really nice guy with a good sense of humor. Great physique as well!

no his brother has long blond hair and his name is gill,but hes a stripper and known as jesse the last 15 yrs or so
R

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
Back in the day, when Anadrol was real, the rumor was that Frank Santoriello took 10 per day.  A guy I knew had nose bleeds from 2 a day.  Today, if anyone says they have real Anadrol, I laugh.  2202s are long gone.

I find that hard to believe. Anadrol 50 was probably the most powerful steroid in pill form ever made. I don't know what type of garbage passes for real Anadrol in the black illegal drug trade today. I just would bet a lot of money it's not the same as the one that was made in a legit pharmaceutical company back in the day. I know guys that would take one a day. If they were insane two. Ten a day would have been toxic.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
I did say that that was the "rumor" in the day but it came from a very reliable source.  Santoriello didn't last very long anyway.  I agree with you as per the stength of Anadrol from Syntex in the orange box.  Guys who legitimately benched 550-600lbs. (right in front of everyone every Monday at 4:30 pm at Westside) only took 2 per day (along with other stuff). 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
maz's gym when u were there had some great bbers/powerlifters,when i started in his original gym in fair;lawn ,,we had big andre douglass legit 500 lb incline he was massive he loved abombs...dean barreca as u mentioned was just getting into competing he was lightweight at the time...when u were with craig and he was tight with maz u had andre now competing bbing,joe cruz nice build we competed on stage for an overall,dean now in prime doing suburban and the jersey,john riggo riggins rip ,like craig was great teenager shredded and went full bore into evrything,,maz had good crew...

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
Dear old-school-lifter,
    Thanks so much for mentioning me along with all those great guys.  Although I am no bodybuilder, nor have I ever competed,  I have had the good fortune to train with IFBB Pro Craig Richardson for the past 15 years.
    I first entered a gym in the mid-1980's.  It was Westside Muscle in Rutherford, N.J.  The place was filled with great competitors such as Tom Shoebridge, Chris Catena, Vinnie Galanti, Rob Lopez and a host of others.  My training partner, Rick Jones (he competed and beat Mike Morris) and I soon began training with one of the true greats, Darryl Perry.
    I was at all those shows mentioned by gracie bjj and njflex and remember guys guest posing just before they hit all the magazines and became "famous."
    I later trained with Vinnie Galanti in preparation for his 1997 USA show in Texas where he placed a very respectable 4th Place.
    Soon thereafter, I met up with Craig Richardson and have trained with him ever since.
    I have had the most incredible experiences in having trained in so many different gyms, meeting so many bodybuilders and seeing it all from "behind the ropes."
    Bodybuilding is certainly not without its multitude of problems and divergent opinions, but for most of us, it has provided us with a bit more purpose and enjoyment in our lives, no matter what personal sacrificies we chose to make.
Harley

hey Harley

great to have you back on the boards
always enjoyed the BFO with you training with craig

in case folks didn't know, Harley is a BJJ world champion as well as avid lifter
and he doesn't like to blow his own trumpet which is why im stating the above!

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Dear old-school lifter,
   Thanks for the kind words.  I did come on board many years ago but admittedly, didn't care too much for the very harsh criticism just because I had a personal confrontation with Dorian Yates.  I didn't realize peoples' heroes were infallible.  I first came on to offer an honest inside to the sport since I am so lucky to be "behind the ropes" for a few things.  Training with Craig for 15 years has really given me a unique insight into bodybuilding, its players, its despots, its gurus, its money-men and its idols.  I thought people might want to know some stuff and I offered to answer questions as honestly as I legally could.  I knew you needed thick skin for this board but it just seemed a bit too unwarranted solely for a difference of opinion or someone not believing "the dosages."
   I wanted to come back on just because I miss the stories of real bodybuilding, reading opinions, especially those which differ from my own and engaging in discussions and seeing pictures.  I just found the mean spirited racism not really relevant to a board supposedly designed to talk about bodybuilding related issues.  Sure, bodybuilding, like all aspects of life, has its corruptions and abuses, but we are all drawn to it for at least other good reasons.  Bodybuilding, while I am sure having shortened my life span and caused much of the daily pain I feel as soon as I crawl out of bed, is worth it to me.  I achieved things, meaningless to most, but things no one thought I could do but me, and that mattered.  And in the end, we all want to be judged well by others but if we do the things we oursleves admire, then the rest of the world can take their criticisms of us and shove it up their self-defeeating, pessimistic, non-achieving and non-aspiring asses. 
   Of anything I've done in my life, the photos I have of me in shape mean more to me than any Ph.D., law degree or anything else.  Anyone can sit down for 3 years and earn a law degree.  Most people, if they really wanted to, could earn enough money to buy a Ferrari.  But, like most people on this board, it's the things you can't be which we admire most and chasing those things and achieving some of them, to me, has made all the difference.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
I meant to write, "its the things you can't buy..."
Sorry, learning how to post and spell check and attach photos.
Just happy to be here.