Author Topic: Your favorite...  (Read 3902 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Your favorite...
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:04:12 AM »
Shoulder movement?

Anything exotic out there?

I'm a big fan of bodyweight handstand presses...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Your favorite...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
Tried those for awhile, meh. I like the standard military press.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:16 AM »
cable lateral raises for sure

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »
Atho not a delt movement,  seated dumbell shrugs....

A slight lean forward, pure trap movement... dumbells dont hit side of body, no bar pulling you forward etc

Much more scapular recruitment alsos...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
Not actually favorites, but have used them...on occasion. Just some exercise not usually seen in the glossy magazines, video's, etc.....really old school stuff, which lifters have used.

1) DB one arm press and reverse negative lateral raise (don't know any official name for them), which I have mentioned before. Find it best to hang/grip something with the free hand for extra support. If feeling that you wish to do both presses together...than help yourself. That would be like a reverse crucifix.

Press a moderate weighted DB overhead. Now lower that DB , to the side as if doing a full lateral raise...slowly and in control all the way to the bottom position. That's where the negative comes. Should be able to handle a much heavier weight than where doing a normal lateral DB raise.  Again press the DB overhead and repeat the exercise for 6-8 reps. 3-4 sets should do it.

2)  Overhead BB press and reverse front raise. Back to a bit of negatives again.

Press a BB overhead, now lower the bar in front, as when doing a anterior/front delt raise. A few guy's have told me that  when getting up to a heavier weight, on the bar, they may feel loss of balance or a slight pressure on the lower back. If so, than place one foot back or behind the body with a slight bend to the knee. This seems to give better support. Can apply this to regular overhead pressing also. For the next rep, clean the bar back to the shoulders and repeat the another press and reverse front raise. 6-8 reps. 3-4 sets. Can also do this one with DB's it that suits your needs.

(just a suggestion..never do regular BB front raises with a curl grip ((hands griping under the bar)). Put's an extreme amount of strain & stress on the biceps lower inserts as well as the wrist and elbow joints...but, than again, it's your body....EZ bars seem to work well with front raises. ... hammer grips seem to work well for DB front raises)

3) One Arm Lateral DB Raises.  Actually this is one of my favorites for shoulders. This is a cheating exercise to the max. The DB is hurled up to a bit above shoulder height, using much body English. Hold the DB in front of center ofthe body and swing the weight up...simple enough. Hits the lateral, front and even read delts.  6-8 reps. 3-4 sets. Cheating styles can be very rewarding, when done correctly, for size and strength..just a personal view...if preferring by the book, full ROM..your choice than.

The up-right row, Hi-pulls and front press have given me the best results for the whole shoulder girdle.

Good Luck.
F

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 05:39:25 AM »
in the last 35 Years of Training my favorite exercises for special muscle groups changed a lot.

First 10-12 Years (behind the neck presses, worked up to 160 kg for 4 reps)
next 6-8 Years (frontpress smithmachine, worked up for 5-6 reps with 160kg)
next 6-8 Years (dumbell press, 8-10 reps with 55-65 kg dumbells)
after that, some kind of machine press (Hammer-Strength, Nautilus...using also sometimes 1-arm presses)

+ always did some kind of side laterals....Dumbells for higher reps and not that heavy 15-20 reps etween 35-45 lbs., or lateral raises
in the 6-10 rep-range with heavier weights on machines like nautilus (250 lbs. for 10 reps.....

if the body get´s older you have to deal with it....find the exercises where you still can train heavy + proper form.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Tried those for awhile, meh. I like the standard military press.
yes me too. infact just doing Military press and BB upright rows(superset) will give a good all round workout. pushing and pulling.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 03:17:52 AM »
Right now I think I'll go with front laterals with a barbell while using a narrow grip. I'm able to get a much stronger contraction in the front delts than I can with the dumbbell front laterals.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
Wes & Chaos convinced me to try behind-the-back upright rows on a Smith. I was quite pleased with the fullness it added to my lateral deltoid, which has always been my most lagging upper body area.

I also saw some improvement in development using face-pulls done "Poliquin-style." The external rotation, to me, is what makes it more of a rear delt movement as opposed to an upper back one.

Some seated lateral raise machines can be used by bending the torso 90 degrees at the waist, planting your head against the back of the seat, and raising the arm pads with your elbows. An old-timer showed me that variation, which is analogous to the pull-over machine, IMO, which places the tension in a more desirable location - the elbows.

"Lead with the elbows..."

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
yes me too. infact just doing Military press and BB upright rows(superset) will give a good all round workout. pushing and pulling.

x3

Although, I'll take shrugs over uprights. I think it's my body type, very long arms. Uprights bother my wrists and don't seem to hit the traps as hard.