Author Topic: Forearm pain during isolation curls  (Read 1908 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
Forearm pain during isolation curls
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »
I have this sharp pain every time I do isolation curls.  I do my sets which are generally between 6 - 10 reps and I feel fine until I set the db down, which I do lightly I dont just drop the weight.  It hurts both forearms internally about three to four inches below the inside of my elbow.  I feel this pain regardless of volume, and it starts as soon as the exercise is complete and last about 3 seconds.  I am afraid that it is maybe  my bones being too weak for the weight but why not bother me during the set?  I dunno, any suggestions?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Forearm pain during isolation curls
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »
It sounds like stress on the tendons/muscles/ligaments, caused from the motion you're using while putting the DB down.

Either:

-Find a different way or motion to put the DB down, such as using both hands, or put the DB on the bench rather than the floor, or turn your wrist in another angle during the motion after finishing the set, etc. Try different things, only after which if the problem's still there it's likely the exercise itself.

-Use a different exercise-IMO DB preacher or spider curls are at least as good if not better.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »
It sounds like stress on the tendons/muscles/ligaments, caused from the motion you're using while putting the DB down.
Either:
-Find a different way or motion to put the DB down, such as using both hands, or put the DB on the bench rather than the floor, or turn your wrist in another angle during the motion after finishing the set, etc. Try different things, only after which if the problem's still there it's likely the exercise itself.
-Use a different exercise-IMO DB preacher or spider curls are at least as good if not better.
What are spider curls? 
The isolation curls are usually just an afterthought for me.  Only when I have exhausted myself with ez bar on the preacher bench and standing straight bar curls and standing db curls/hammer curls.
Its mostly vanity, I like to watch the muscle peak with isolation curls.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:50:15 AM »
Spider curls would be much the same as doing preacher curls on the side of the bench straight up, no slope-perpendicular to the ground.

Probably better than isolation curls but not widely known.

Also try cable curls instead of barbell-better for size, IMO.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »
Stop it.. ;D   Replace with Close grip chins and Hammer curls.  Your new bicep and forearm growth will thank-you..

XS