Author Topic: Is this a good workout or not???  (Read 2194 times)

sketer

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Is this a good workout or not???
« on: February 14, 2006, 05:30:15 PM »
If this is not that good of a workout then can some1 tell me what to replace and stuff becas I have been doing alright butI am totally pissed cas my arms looked so small today I was thinking I was losing strength and it threw my whole workout away so I quit for the day...Some1 please just help me,I am also drinking 2 to 3 cups of whey protein everyday i workout and I jog everyday and eat a alright amount of protein in regular meals,but please som1 tell me wat I need and dont need---O and by the way alls I hav is barbell excercises so if u add anything make sure its a barbell workout or isolated workout...
Monday
Biceps-Barbell Curls
50LB   Set 1=20x      Set 2=20x     Set 3=20x   Set 4=20x
Chest-Flat Bench press
140LB   Set 1=10x    Set 2=7x    set 3=7x    Set 4=7x
Traps-Barbell Upright Rows
70LB   Set 1=20x    Set 2=20x    Set 3=15x    Set 4=15x
Triceps-Close Triceps Position pushups
Set 1=40x   Set 2=30x    Set 3=30x    Set 4=25x
Abs/oblique-Crunches and bicycle crunches
  Set 1,2,3, Do as many as can of regular crunches and bicycle crunches
Tuesday
Traps and upper Back-Barbell Shoulder Shrugs
80LB   Set 1,2,3,4=Do as many as possible
Lats-Pullups
Set 1=20x    Set 2=20x   Set 3=17x    Set 4=17x
Lower Back-Dead lifts
95LB   Set 1,2,3,4=Do as many as possible
Wednesday
Chest-Flat Bench Press
140LB   Set 1=10x   Set 2=7x   Set 3=7x    Set 4=7x
Biceps-Barbell Curls
50LBSet 1=20x     Set 2=20x    Set 3=20x   Set 4=20x
Shoulders-Side Lateral Raises
10LB each hand   set 1=20x   set 2=20x   set 3=20      set 4=20x
Thursday
Full Upper Body Workout
Friday   Calves-Jog or jump rope   Hamstrings-Leg curls   Glutes-Dead lifts
Saturday   Calves-Jog or jump rope   Hamstrings-Leg curls   Glutes-Dead lifts
Sunday   OFF DAY

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Is this a good workout or not???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:50:46 PM »
- Reps are quite high
- Deadlifts on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday??
- A "full body workout" on Thursday, in addition to all the upper body work done on Mon, Tue, and Wed?

Very strange split to say the least.  I'd say your upper body is overtrained to hell, not to mention your low back.  You could greatly simplify things by training each bodypart once per week, or hit each part twice per week using an upper/lower split done four days per week.

You also mentioned you jog every day, which is going to hamper your ability to gain muscle.  Then there's the whole diet aspect to consider.

I'd suggest checking out the "Training protocols" thread toward the top of the page which will give you sample programs you can use or design your own program around.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »
your regime is hot garbage :(

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »
your regime sucks big time.

1. do no more than two muscle groups per day.

2.  start with the bigger muscle group (e.g. chest before biceps, back before triceps)

if you're so concerned about your arms, dedicate one work-out just to biceps, triceps, and forearms.

do deadlifts every other week, that's enough.

do squats - nothing packs mass like heavy squats.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:03:24 AM »
No.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:09:51 AM »
-Reps are too high, keep them in the 8-10 range using more weight.

-Hit each muscle twice a week, at least 3 days apart. 6-9 sets for smaller muscles, 9-12 sets for larger mucles. Go to failure on most sets.

-Substitute exercises some of the time, as as another alternative, use one exercise for a month then switch to another. For biceps, substitute preacher curls or pulley curls. For triceps, try lying extensions or bench dips. For chest, substitute flys or if dumbbells are available, do dumbbell presses. For lats, chins, pulldowns or various rowing motions. For shoulders try presses.

-In some but not every workout, shock the muscles by adding compound supersets-for triceps do lying extensions followed by bench dips, for shoulders laterals followed by presses. Other times, mix in  other intensity techniques on the last set or two of each exericse-partials, rest-pause, etc.

-Change the order of exercises-larger muscles like lats or chest should come first, followed by arms or shoulders, with traps last, IMO. If you want your arms to improve, ensure that they are worked on a separate day and are done first.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »
That isn't progressive weight training. You do 4 sets per exercize without increasing your poundage?
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 10:19:11 AM »
Progressive training has to do with succesively overloading the muscle by increasing the intensity through any number of variables, such as increases in the number of reps, increases in weight, shortened rests between sets, supersets, partials, drop sets, etc.

Increasing the weight using an ascending pyramid's only one avenue. I prefer keeping the weight constant and increasing reps. Others like a descending pyramid. Research suggests that a declining pyramid's better for size, ascending better for strength. The difference is that an ascending pyramid really only involves one serious set-the initial sets amount to warmups that aren't needed if sufficient warmup's already done.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 05:28:55 AM »
Progressive weight training has to do with increasing the intensity by adjusting any number of variables, only one of which is the amount of weight used by pyramiding. Progressive training includes adjustment of variables such as increases in the number of reps, increases in weight, shortened rests between sets, supersets, partials, drop sets, etc.
Increasing the weight using an ascending pyramid's only one avenue. I prefer keeping the weight constant and increasing reps. Others like a descending pyramid. Research suggests that a declining pyramid's better for size, ascending better for strength. The difference is that an ascending pyramid really only involves one serious set-the initial sets amount to warmups that aren't needed if sufficient warmup's already done.

Increasing reps per set but not increasing the poundage on the bar seems ass backwards to me.
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 08:03:12 AM »
Apples & oranges. Your approach is one of many, all of which are worth trying for a few weeks each as part of experimenting with progressive overload training.