Author Topic: People who don't earn a university degree  (Read 23978 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: People who don't earn a university degree
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »
Troll score: 0/10

PS: a BA/BS isn't worth shit these days. The best coder I ever hired had a fucking GED.

Yeah but you're his boss. And I'm guessing you have a degree.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
People who don't earn a university degree tend to have a superficial view of the world, and their opinions are often those of others. They believe everything they hear (i.e. news stories, rumors), they sorely lack in critical thinking, and typically are unable to comprehend rudimentary concepts. Hence, most companies won't even consider a non-college grad for a white collar position. A Bachelor's Degree is the price of admission to being taken seriously in high society, and even that is a bare minimum. A graduate degree ia really what's needed

This is a misconception a lot of companies have today, which is too bad. Realistically, a college degree, regardless of how advanced the degree is doesn't ensure these degreed folks are truly critical thinkers. In fact, good old commonsense seems to elude many of the most educated people around, in my experience. If the educational community and businesses keep focusing on degrees as a criteria for recruitment of new employees, many people won't start working until they are 30 or more years old. Once they start earning money, they will owe a good portion of their salaries for student loans....all that to sling a hamburger or bring a customer their water, (okay so some will have better jobs then this, but you get the picture).

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
You mean "ensure"?
Also a drink for old people  ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
The Coach has no degree from an accredited college or university. His "opinions" can all be heard the night before on right wing talk radio, where they sell advertising for gold investments and miracle wrinkle creams.

You sound a little insecure chief. Something you wish to discuss? lol

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
You sound a little insecure chief. Something you wish to discuss? lol
Says the manlet.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
Some people can think, and some people cant!

Degree let non thinkting people start to think a little bit more bcz they are aorund some thinking people who light up their brain.

The problem with degree people is that many of them have a very big trust in "science" and "fact" everything can be discussed! Nothing is easy!

The olde ru get the more shit u can talk because your audicene is young and they think u know...something...that u actually dont...know nothing about. LIfe is strange! Very strange! Knowledge is very strange to! INtellicence is very strange to! All thinking often end in one conclusion with is: I DONT KNOW!

As soon as philosofy will take a bigger part in science, everything will be fucked up!

Poeple who live now always think they are more clever than people who lived THEN! Its a human thing I think!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
You mean "ensure"?

Thanks. You're correct.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
Army War College revokes Sen. John Walsh's degree
By MATT VOLZ and MATTHEW BROWN

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The U.S. Army War College revoked Democratic Sen. John Walsh's master's degree after an investigation completed Friday concluded that he plagiarized a research paper required to graduate, a college spokeswoman said.

The college assigned an academic review board to the probe in August after The New York Times published a story showing Walsh borrowed heavily from other sources for the paper he wrote in 2007.

Walsh was pursuing a master of strategic studies degree at age 47, a year before he became Montana's adjutant general overseeing the state National Guard.

The board of the Carlisle, Pennsylvania-based college took less than a day to hear the case and make its findings Aug. 22. But the process of appeal and review wasn't completed until Friday.

"The board found that then Colonel John Walsh did commit the offense of plagiarism and thus his Master's Degree and status as graduate of the U.S. Army War College should be revoked," War College spokeswoman Carol Kerr said in a statement.

The review board's report found the plagiarism "egregious." A review of Walsh's paper by the school's director of communicative arts found little, if any, original language or research and that it was "primarily composed of verbatim liftings from other sources" presented as if they were Walsh's own work.

"In short, the paper was plagiarized and ... the plagiarism was intentional," the review board said in its report.

Walsh's office released a statement saying the senator disagrees with the findings but accepts the college's decision.

"I apologize to all Montanans for the plagiarism in my 2007 paper, and I am prepared to live with its consequences," Walsh said in the statement. "I may not be a scholar, but I am proud to have been a soldier who has served Montana and this great nation for 33 years in uniform."

His spokeswoman said he was not available for further comment.

Walsh dropped out of the Nov. 4 Senate race after the report about plagiarism. He was appointed to his Senate seat in February when Max Baucus resigned to become ambassador to China.

In August, Montana Democrats chose state lawmaker Amanda Curtis to replace Wash as their candidate against Republican U.S. Rep. Steve Daines. Republicans need a net gain of six seats in November to take Senate control, and Montana is a prime target to pick up a seat that's been in Democratic hands for more than a century.

Walsh spoke to members of the review board by phone the day before it convened in August. He admitted that he plagiarized the paper, but he said it was a mistake. Walsh also said he was taking medication for PTSD and that one of the soldiers he commanded in Iraq in 2005 had committed suicide in March 2007.

The review board noted Walsh submitted several drafts of his paper, including before the suicide, and later submitted a version of the same paper for another class with the plagiarized passages intact.

The board said in its findings that other students have had similar or more serious issues during their time at the war college, but they were able to do the work "without resorting to plagiarism or other cheating."

Walsh appealed the decision on Oct. 6. War College Commandant Major Gen. William Rapp rejected the appeal in a letter dated Friday.

Former Gov. Brian Schweitzer, who appointed Walsh adjutant general, was among those who wrote a letter of support to the college's review board. Schweitzer told The Associated Press on Friday that Walsh should be judged on "a lifetime of leadership" based on his three-decade rise through the National Guard and service in Iraq.

"That was the John Walsh I selected, not the John Walsh that was a literary scholar or a person who understood the nuances of grammar and putting things in quotations," Schweitzer said.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
master degrees in engineering are keys to the universe

dustin

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
I don't have a degree but I purchased a nice new house, cars and paid for my wife's education and live comfortably just by not being a douche bag. I didn't even learn anything about finances until after purchasing my house too, so things are looking even better now that I budget properly, invest, etc.

I think people should get some life experience first. Now that my wife's almost done school, I'll be going to school for something where I'll actually get a job. Not going to get a BA/BS or anything else without a tangible vision. Most young idiots go to school without a clue, rack up a hundred thousand grand in debt and end up working at drive-throughs and coffee shops because they're socially retarded and have no life experience.

A fine academic background is a nice thing to flaunt, but it doesn't mean much if you're renting a shitty apartment, driving a beater car manufactured in the 1980's, making minimum wage and contemplating committing suicide to escape your unimaginable debt.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
I think we all have to take into account that 99% of USA college degrees are for the most part pretty simple and the equivalent of UK high school A levels which you sit at 17.

I had an American family member with a degree in electrical engineering over working in my firm for 6 months last year and his level of knowledge was akin to the stuff my 15 year old daughter was learning in her Scottish school standard grade physics.

A very nice money maker for the colleges mind you. ;)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
99% of USA college degrees are for the most part pretty simple and the equivalent of UK high school A levels which you sit at 17.

::)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
I think we all have to take into account that 99% of USA college degrees are for the most part pretty simple and the equivalent of UK high school A levels which you sit at 17.

I had an American family member with a degree in electrical engineering over working in my firm for 6 months last year and his level of knowledge was akin to the stuff my 15 year old daughter was learning in her Scottish school standard grade physics.

A very nice money maker for the colleges mind you. ;)

I know 2 guys with masters from the Kentucky University and the Massachusetts University. They are the best in their fields and are doing great monetary wise. When you compare them to guys who got masters in south-american countries... the difference is quite notorious.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
I know 2 guys with masters from the Kentucky University and the Massachusetts University. They are the best in their fields and are doing great monetary wise. When you compare them to guys who got masters in south-american countries... the difference is quite notorious.

Maybe the problem is that ""BIG" AL MCKECHNIE"'s "firm" only attracts low-intelligence applicants.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
what is there to understand of life that is more complicated than; we re just  animals spwaned randomly into this world to fight each others for ressources until we die.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
The educational system in Germany, where my son and grandchildren live is different from the U.S. By the time a person enters what would be their high school sophomore year, they begin studies for a career based which is based on their aptitude and not on what they or their parents imagine for them. If tests show you have the ability to become a doctor and this is what you want to do, your education is geared to accommodate this early on. If like my daughter-in-law, you want to be a fashion designer but don't seem to have the talent for this, you can still study for it, but you must pay for your education.

My grandson is 19 years old. He is studying to go into musical instrument repair and he works part time as a musician, playing drums in a band. One of my granddaughters who is 24 years old is in college studying for and currently working in early childhood development. My youngest granddaughter is 17 years old and she is studying Spanish. She's presently fluent in English and German. She wants to be a flight attendant for an international airline. Clearly many young folks in Germany seem to be allowed more latitude when it comes to education and choosing a career.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »

Notorious is an interesting word to use in this situation.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »
I am one of those people who enjoys going to college, taking classes in subjects which interest me at the time, but with no regard for a degree being my end goal. I've been a perennial student all of my life. At this point I am comfortably retired, meaning I am not excessively wealthy, but I don't have money worries either. I clearly have no need for a degree at this point in time.

I believe I have been fortunate, in that I started working when job experience meant something and companies didn't primarily hire folks because they held a degree. I also appreciate that my stepfather taught me a trade. Although I chose not to make a career in that trade, I found work in it when other employment wasn't available.

I admire people who have achieved a degree and then went on to use it for a good purpose. I also know people whose careers had nothing to do with their education and who were satisfied with how their lives turned out. Likewise, I know people who are highly educated and yet woefully underemployed and unhappy in their careers. It is my belief that our current educational system and culture is very limiting for many people.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »

Mr. No

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
The Coach has no degree from an accredited college or university. His "opinions" can all be heard the night before on right wing talk radio, where they sell advertising for gold investments and miracle wrinkle creams.
This.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
Those gimmicks are so boring these days.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
You mean like academics that believed everything that Obama said and got duped into voting for him....twice? lmao. People graduating with a Bachelor's generally don't make shit within the first few years. Sure, most companies want to hire with a degree but most look at a resume and a commitment along with integrity, enthusiasm, work ethic and willing to learn. We hire interns in the field they are studying (Kinese, ex science, S&C) because we teach them how to apply what they learned in the class room to programming and learning our system. We don't hire someone just because they have a "degree" in anything. From there, we evaluate within 60 days based on everything I mentioned AFTER the degree.

Read "Winning" by Jack Welsh

Hope this helps...troll.

You're very sensitive about your lack of formal education Joe. Don't always get so upset when these threads come up.

And Jack Welch had a PHD in Chemical Engineering. Jeff Immelt a MBA from Harvard and degree in Maths from Dartford.

None of these men would've made it to the top without a formal education unless they started their own companies and became rich that way.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2014, 05:30:21 PM »
Also a drink for old people  ;D

Do you think it is better than protein drinks? I haven't tried Ensure, have you?  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

This old fart read your other post in this thread. Unfortunately, it was less then impressive, as they usually are. You could use some education when it comes to the English language, BTW.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »

Girls and sons

I don't take kindly to disrespect

People who don't earn a University degree