Author Topic: People who don't earn a university degree  (Read 24030 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: People who don't earn a university degree
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
95% of what I know I learned after college. And I think the relationships I formed in college were even more helpful than the degree.

The most import things I have done have been to relentlessly network, build and maintain relationships, and in the past to have made lots of cold / warm sales calls - overcoming the fear of rejection / failure while honing your communications skills goes a long way.
Good point! If all I got from uni was critical thinking, it was a bargain.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »
I kiss asses and own appreciating assets.

You think meatheads who brag about making a measly $200k a year in a very expensive area in the same breath they complain about barely being able to pay their bills are "rich". Like I said, you're a dumb, naive, unsophisticated kid who tries really hard to come off as otherwise.

It's very obvious that your limited knowledge of anything comes from googling and copy / paste jobs. There is no depth of knowledge of anything. Maybe lay off doing the getbig and google thing 20 hours a day 7 days a week and get some actual experience in something(s)?

And you ironically project your liberal ideologies onto others instinctively - you yourself very obviously envy others, believe in wealth redistribution, whine about "income inequality", etc constantly. To you and your ilk, the pie doesn't grow - so it needs to be handed over to your govt to be reallocated. Or if the pie does actually grow, you believe that those who actually contribute the most are "disproportionately" rewarded, correct?
I don`t think you are rich by any means to be honest with you.  I think you are most likely average to below average income earner who tries to act like a big shot.  Tread Lightly is all I am going to say.  :D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
I pay 220 dollars a month on student loans.  I don't regret the decision to go to college as it was the 90's and there were few options available.  However, nowadays there are online colleges like Stonebridge Associated Colleges and Ashworth College where I got my diploma in Fitness as well as Health Care Management for a much lower price. 

People need to explore their options....ultimately if you insist on going to an actual college and get a 4 year degree then I would spend as much time in a community college as possible to keep your fees down.  For people who are going to start their own businesses then I'd advise against it and simply take the courses you need to succed
A

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
When I am selecting a candidate for a key job I have a 1600 rule.
I do not interview anyone who did not go to a university founded after 1600.

This narrows it down to :
University of St Andrews – founded 1413
University of Glasgow – founded 1451
University of Aberdeen – founded 1495
University of Edinburgh – founded 1583

All subsequent universities are nothing more than technical colleges in my opinion.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
The people I know well enough to give an opinion on that didn't go to college are very uninteresting. They all seem to not give a shit about anything. Ask them about politics, or current events, or the latest at getbig and they just don't care. They also seem to be in bad relationships and don't get along with people.

I mean in college you get stuck with at least 1 roommate and you have to learn how to get along with them. I lived with 4 other guys, so I'm sure that helped me learn how to deal with people. Had I not attended college who knows if I would get along with people like I do.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
I pay 220 dollars a month on student loans.  I don't regret the decision to go to college as it was the 90's and there were few options available.  However, nowadays there are online colleges like Stonebridge Associated Colleges and Ashworth College where I got my diploma in Fitness as well as Health Care Management for a much lower price.  

People need to explore their options....ultimately if you insist on going to an actual college and get a 4 year degree then I would spend as much time in a community college as possible to keep your fees down.  For people who are going to start their own businesses then I'd advise against it and simply take the courses you need to succed
arent you unemployed?

Back on topic, who "choose" his/her career ? like 0.000001% of mankind?  Most train in/ adapt to what is available to them?
Also there are more and more people, both skilled and unskilled, and less and less jobs, who can seriously believe it's going to end well?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
I know succesful people both with & without degrees.

My assumption is always that I am the odd one out & that people at that level generally have them. I worked for a guy for 12 years before he mentioned he never had one.

In think it's a stretch to say you can tell them apart from degree holders, even when working with them.

These claims that degree holders are better/worse are likely no more than a little confirmation bias on the part of people wanting to validate their own choices in life.

My own reasons for not taking a degree at 18 were financial. I intended to work a couple of years and then go back. Having money, a car & women then made it seem less important.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
arent you unemployed?

Back on topic, who "choose" his/her career ? like 0.000001% of mankind?  Most train in/ adapt to what is available to them?
Also there are more and more people, both skilled and unskilled, and less and less jobs, who can seriously believe it's going to end well?

Shut the fuck up you piece of garbage.

Back on topic, you Getbigggers who are just getting out of high school have a lot more options available so explore them to make the best decision....but don't think you can get through life without additional training and education.  Bill Gates may have been a dropout but he was a genius...so was Zuckerberg and Jobs.   
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
I pay 220 dollars a month on student loans.  I don't regret the decision to go to college as it was the 90's and there were few options available.  However, nowadays there are online colleges like Stonebridge Associated Colleges and Ashworth College where I got my diploma in Fitness as well as Health Care Management for a much lower price. 

People need to explore their options....ultimately if you insist on going to an actual college and get a 4 year degree then I would spend as much time in a community college as possible to keep your fees down.  For people who are going to start their own businesses then I'd advise against it and simply take the courses you need to succed

I agree these are good options for some people. However, some employers look at where you went to school and where you got your degree. If you want to work for one of these companies, having a degree from a prestigious college is important. If one wanted to be a school administrator, for example, having a Masters or PHD from Stanford or one of the top Eastern universities would definitely open some doors for you. Of course once you get the position, you still have to prove yourself.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
I agree these are good options for some people. However, some employers look at where you went to school and where you got your degree. If you want to work for one of these companies, having a degree from a prestigious college is important. If one wanted to be a school administrator, for example, having a Masters or PHD from Stanford or one of the top Eastern universities would definitely open some doors for you. Of course once you get the position, you still have to prove yourself.

True...depends on your long term goals.  If you wish to be a teacher, then there's no way around not getting a degree.  People need to think about their long term goals to decide
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »

True...depends on your long term goals.  If you wish to be a teacher, then there's no way around not getting a degree.  People need to think about their long term goals to decide

Another thing, one doesn't have to go immediately to college following high school graduation. It might be sometimes more difficult and complicated to work on a higher education later on, but it isn't impossible. My son who graduated high school second in his class, attended one year of college and decided he wanted to do something different. He joined the military and proceeded to have a 22 year very successful career. He also went back to school and got his degree on the military's dollar. He says he has no regrets.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
I don`t think you are rich by any means to be honest with you.  I think you are most likely average to below average income earner who tries to act like a big shot.  Tread Lightly is all I am going to say.  :D

Is that some sort of threat?

I don't care what you think. It's obvious that you don't know much about the things you jumped on me about (that I do happen to know a great deal about) when you first made all those ignorant assuptions about me and my posts. How does it feel to have it turned around on you?

You started it, kid.
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
Is that some sort of threat?

I don't care what you think. It's obvious that you don't know much about the things you jumped on me about (that I do happen to know a great deal about) when you first made all those ignorant assuptions about me and my posts. How does it feel to have it turned around on you?

You started it, kid.
???

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
???

I take "tread lightly" as some sort of veiled threat.

Not accusing you or anyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on here or who has been on here was the clown who filed a completely phony complaint to the SEC about me a couple of days ago. It came from a state I don't live anywhere near and have no clients living in or anywhere near, and was not legit and not from anyone I've ever advised.
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
Nursing #1

Then I'm covered either way. My wife has a degree in nursing and mine is in engineering.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Funny these people that say 'Well Michael Dell/Gates/Whoever don't have degrees and look at them today'

Yes dickhead, because the average person are directly comparable to Bill Gates. Who by the way, had a technical SKILL that billions of people don't have. But I understand why people need to justify their lack of education in such a way.

Unless you start your own business, you'll be at the bottom of the food chain your whole life.

Not quite. You do need some post-secondary education. But that doesn't necessary mean college. Trade schools and tech schools (in certain fields) can get you in the door to make some good money.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
I take "tread lightly" as some sort of veiled threat.

Not accusing you or anyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on here or who has been on here was the clown who filed a completely phony complaint to the SEC about me a couple of days ago. It came from a state I don't live anywhere near and have no clients living in or anywhere near, and was not legit and not from anyone I've ever advised.

Purely coincidence  ::)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

I think it's more like that in the US and UK.

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
I don`t think you are rich by any means to be honest with you.  I think you are most likely average to below average income earner who tries to act like a big shot.  Tread Lightly is all I am going to say.  :D

I have no money in my bank account, Adam. I am a pauper because you yet owe me money (thousands for coaching services rendered).

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

Im with you Vince.  Please don't go spending dads money on a $200k law degree unless you have a clear goal regarding the future.

I had one friend who literally went to college until he was 32.  He has 2 Masters' and a law degree (never took the bar) and works in the public sector doing low-paid studies and such.  I think his loans are approx $1,200 a month! 

That being said, its MUCH easier to get a job in finance, for example, if you attended a top 100 university.  It also helps if you're not retarded but that diploma alone goes a long way.

Hey, i got my real estate license years after my college degree and real estate has made me much more money...40 hr course and a test back in '03