Author Topic: People who don't earn a university degree  (Read 23983 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: People who don't earn a university degree
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »
Senior Management/Business Development roles mostly...

Helping with start-ups and fuck-ups.
Ok, so anyone can just start sending resumes in and showing up in person without any experience or any credentials and land a 100,000 dollar job, you just have to be persistent and try?
Is that what you are saying?  ???

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
There is no situation or circumstance in professional life where having a college degree hurts you.

That's not to say that a college degree is essential to have a reasonable likelihood of success in all endeavors, but trying to argue that one is somehow better off not having a formal college-level education in 2014, which numerous posters in this thread are trying to do, is simply ignorant.

The other part that doesn't make any sense is when people argue about things like "initiative", "real-world experience", "work ethic", as if (i) you don't need these things to be successful in a university undergraduate program ??? and (ii) by spending the ages of 18-22 in a university, you can't obtain these things ???.  Arguments like those demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what modern universities are like, what it takes to be successful at one, and what the lifelong benefits of this experience are.

I will make no further posts in this thread since arguing against anything I've said here in a serious fashion with conviction is sheer idiocy.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
There is no situation or circumstance in professional life where having a college degree hurts you.

That's not to say that a college degree is essential to have a reasonable likelihood of success in all endeavors, but trying to argue that one is somehow better off not having a formal college-level education in 2014, which numerous posters in this thread are trying to do, is simply ignorant.

The other part that doesn't make any sense is when people argue about things like "initiative", "real-world experience", "work ethic", as if (i) you don't need these things to be successful in a university undergraduate program ??? and (ii) by spending the ages of 18-22 in a university, you can't obtain these things ???.  Arguments like those demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what modern universities are like, what it takes to be successful at one, and what the lifelong benefits of this experience are.

I will make no further posts in this thread since arguing against anything I've said here in a serious fashion with conviction is sheer idiocy.
What does that even mean?  There is only one earth that we all live on.  Do they know something we don`t?  ???

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »

Comments for HR interviewers like, "Considering you're extensive education in this field, do you think you'd be happy in this position?" suggest that there are those who do get hurt. Or how about this one, "I see that you have a Master's degree in ____ what employment experience do you have in ____?"

Having said the above, one hopes they are the exception, but it does happen. There are some circumstances where a college degree hinders you in the professional world.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
People who don't earn a university degree tend to have a superficial view of the world, and their opinions are often those of others. They believe everything they hear (i.e. news stories, rumors), they sorely lack in critical thinking, and typically are unable to comprehend rudimentary concepts. Hence, most companies won't even consider a non-college grad for a white collar position. A Bachelor's Degree is the price of admission to being taken seriously in high society, and even that is a bare minimum. A graduate degree ia really what's needed

I thought it was the opposite, that university grads believe everything they read, talk about tv series, don't have their own opinions and don't think outside the box?

Maybe it's just me.

But I agree, in a 'high' society you need bachelors degree at minimum to be taken seriously, but in my experience those kind of people definitely don't think outside the box.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »

X2
Statistically, people with college education do better than people who only completed highschool. Trying to bring Bill Gates and other exceptions into the discussion is absolutely retarded.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »
X2
Statistically, people with college education do better than people who only completed highschool. Trying to bring Bill Gates and other exceptions into the discussion is absolutely retarded.

That I can agree on. But a far as believing in other people opinions, not thinking outside the box, not capable of critical thinking etc. imo has nothing to do with having a university degree. jephrius just wants to act like a tough guy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
Really?  Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard and never got his degree. Real failure 'eh. ::)

What does Bill Gates bench press?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
If I needed to to paint a door, why would "thinking outside a box" be beneficial and how would one go about it?  I suppose I could look for creative ways to paint the door.  Maybe buy a fur coat roll around in some paint and rub against the walls.  Maybe I could fill a baby pool full of paint and then do cannonballs until the paint goes on the wall to my liking.

Is this good?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
What does Bill Gates bench press?
Bill Gates can bench press 650 lbs easily thinking outside the box.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
Maybe someone can program a box to do all the thinking so that way we can just leave all the work to the boxes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Maybe someone can program a box to do all the thinking so that way we can just leave all the work to the boxes.

It's been tried, but someone has to operate the boxes and tell them what to do.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Ok, so anyone can just start sending resumes in and showing up in person without any experience or any credentials and land a 100,000 dollar job, you just have to be persistent and try?
Is that what you are saying?  ???

We are discussing landing a role where you have expertise. I presume you get that and are just trying to be a smartass with the above comment.

What you need to do is to get outside of the "sending resume's" box.  ;D

The pool of places to apply comes from people you know directly, people that your network can put you in touch with and totally cold contacts. Sending a resume to a cold contact is pointless.  Most likely they won't even get to read it. Their secretary will tear it up. You can see her as the angry gatekeeper and your job is basically to get past her and directly to the person making a decision.

I will admit, there is a bit of an 'art' to getting personal contact details of the people you want to sit in front of. The higher up they are, the harder it is. For most people, that whole process will be a mystery BUT most people probably have a buddy in corporate sales and they can fill you in on the 'tricks' associated with getting someone's attention.

You should not be sending resume's. You will have their attention for a limited time. All you need to do initially is to tell them what you can do for them. As a backup, also be ready to tell them what you have done before.

This whole process does take a bit more effore than printing out the same application letter 500 times with a different name at the top, attaching a resume & sticking them in envelopes and posting them out.

If you do what everyone else does, you get what everyone else gets. The fact that most people think sending in resumes to posted job applications is the only way to get a new job is great news for people that are thinking outside the box.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »
We are discussing landing a role where you have expertise. I presume you get that and are just trying to be a smartass with the above comment.

What you need to do is to get outside of the "sending resume's" box.  ;D

The pool of places to apply comes from people you know directly, people that your network can put you in touch with and totally cold contacts. Sending a resume to a cold contact is pointless.  Most likely they won't even get to read it. Their secretary will tear it up. You can see her as the angry gatekeeper and your job is basically to get past her and directly to the person making a decision.

I will admit, there is a bit of an 'art' to getting personal contact details of the people you want to sit in front of. The higher up they are, the harder it is. For most people, that whole process will be a mystery BUT most people probably have a buddy in corporate sales and they can fill you in on the 'tricks' associated with getting someone's attention.

You should not be sending resume's. You will have their attention for a limited time. All you need to do initially is to tell them what you can do for them. As a backup, also be ready to tell them what you have done before.

This whole process does take a bit more effore than printing out the same application letter 500 times with a different name at the top, attaching a resume & sticking them in envelopes and posting them out.

If you do what everyone else does, you get what everyone else gets. The fact that most people think sending in resumes to posted job applications is the only way to get a new job is great news for people that are thinking outside the box.
I`d probably just show them all 42,000 of my Getbig posts, its quite the body of work that covers all subjects, insults, battles, adversaries, "thinking outside the box".  Then I will direct them to my Apenis Degree signed by Goodrum himself from the College of Delusional Morons.  

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »
who gives a fuck about a degree money is all that matters and if you don't think so you're the one with a clouded vision of reality.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »
I`d probably just show them all 42,000 of my Getbig posts, its quite the body of work that covers all subjects, insults, battles, adversaries, "thinking outside the box".  Then I will direct them to my Apenis Degree signed by Goodrum himself from the College of Delusional Morons.  

You are hired!

When can you start?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »

You are hired!

When can you start?
Well that was easy.  I was thinking about your post earlier and wondering why more people with or without degrees don`t offer to take less pay for a job.  Wouldn`t that impress a hiring manager if someone said, "I can do the job for 5,000 less easily".  What would you think if you heard something like that?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
Well that was easy.  I was thinking about your post earlier and wondering why more people with or without degrees don`t offer to take less pay for a job.  Wouldn`t that impress a hiring manager if someone said, "I can do the job for 5,000 less easily".  What would you think if you heard something like that?

In the U.S. it is like saying you don't have any confidence in yourself. Now if instead you said, I can do this job and much more for the company....you'd probably get somewhere. Just be ready to back up what you say.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:43 PM »
In the U.S. it is like saying you don't have any confidence in yourself. Now if instead you said, I can do this job and much more for the company....you'd probably get somewhere. Just be ready to back up what you say.
See, if someone said that to me, I would take it the opposite way and that they have complete confidence.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
See, if someone said that to me, I would take it the opposite way and that they have complete confidence.

You might be right. I chair the board for a non-profit corporation. I do it for free. I didn't even have to ask for the position, they asked me.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2014, 12:49:31 AM »
Depends on what you got a degree in.
In the UK, any moron can go to university and get a degree in some pointless subject.

Spot on, the number of CV's I see for people applying for jobs in the city with degrees in Sports Science, Bio-chemistry...etc I lost count.

S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2014, 01:40:32 AM »

My first thoughts would be
- they may well be crap & desperate
- they'll still keep looking for a job after I hire them. If they know they can get another $5k elsewhere, then at some point, they will.

Garbage Man

• Getbig II
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2014, 02:33:20 AM »
Go to school, kids.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »
You are now the king of assumptions I see.  Your whole existence is based on kissing asses as you yourself admitted.  Just curious, why do you feel the need to mention the fact that you are 45 years of age in every post?  Are we supposed to be impressed by that or something? I am sure on your 46th revolution around the sun you will still be kissing the asses of those you envy.  So whats the point?

I kiss asses and own appreciating assets.

You think meatheads who brag about making a measly $200k a year in a very expensive area in the same breath they complain about barely being able to pay their bills are "rich". Like I said, you're a dumb, naive, unsophisticated kid who tries really hard to come off as otherwise.

It's very obvious that your limited knowledge of anything comes from googling and copy / paste jobs. There is no depth of knowledge of anything. Maybe lay off doing the getbig and google thing 20 hours a day 7 days a week and get some actual experience in something(s)?

And you ironically project your liberal ideologies onto others instinctively - you yourself very obviously envy others, believe in wealth redistribution, whine about "income inequality", etc constantly. To you and your ilk, the pie doesn't grow - so it needs to be handed over to your govt to be reallocated. Or if the pie does actually grow, you believe that those who actually contribute the most are "disproportionately" rewarded, correct?
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
95% of what I know I learned after college. And I think the relationships I formed in college were even more helpful than the degree.

The most import things I have done have been to relentlessly network, build and maintain relationships, and in the past to have made lots of cold / warm sales calls - overcoming the fear of rejection / failure while honing your communications skills goes a long way.
A