Author Topic: chinups & pullups  (Read 15450 times)

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
chinups & pullups
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
beneficial or a waste of time ::)

che

• Getbig V
Re: chinups & pullups
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »
beneficial or a waste of time ::)

Pull ups  = best exercise ever .

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
Definitely beneficial.
H

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
agreed. They make my back sore in a way nothing else does.

dnduque

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
they work

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
And dips for the upper body.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
Arnold wrote this in one of his books about pull-ups, do 50 reps however you can, whether it is 1X50 or 5X10. They're hard until you get used to them.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
Arnold wrote this in one of his books about pull-ups, do 50 reps however you can, whether it is 1X50 or 5X10. They're hard until you get used to them.
I did that for years and years every single back work out using that same advice.  I have been lately focusing only on Lat Pulldowns instead and find them to be much better than pullups.  I find pullups to be overrated.  I am very good at them though.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
I did that for years and years every single back work out using that same advice.  I have been lately focusing only on Lat Pulldowns instead and find them to be much better than pullups.  I find pullups to be overrated.  I am very good at them though.

TA, do you feel like you can get more of a contraction and squeeze when doing lat pulldowns due to more control over the weight, as opposed to law pulldowns? I mean, both sort of mimic the same motion, just in different directions.
X

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »

I'm a bit lazy about my workouts. Like you, I prefer lat pull-downs to pull-ups. Nautilus weight assisted pull-ups are fine for me. My lats don't look like Arnold's did, but then neither do his.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
TA, do you feel like you can get more of a contraction and squeeze when doing lat pulldowns due to more control over the weight, as opposed to law pulldowns? I mean, both sort of mimic the same motion, just in different directions.
Totally!  Plus you can do drop sets and really focus on the muscles.  Bring down and pause and really focusing on pulling with the lower arms and elbows while keeping forearms and biceps out of it as much as possible.  With pullups, its possible to do that, but the biceps will always fatigue first and have a lot of involvement.  

The way I do pullups is different than what I see most people doing.  Most people I see short stroke them whereas I would always go all the way up and all the way down even pausing just a second at the bottom.  Even doing that, which is the way I always have, still is not as good as the Lat Pulldown for me.  The whole Pullups are better than Lat Pulldowns is a bunch of nonsense bullshit.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
Totally!  Plus you can do drop sets and really focus on the muscles.  Bring down and pause and really focusing on pulling with the lower arms and elbows while keeping forearms and biceps out of it as much as possible.  With pullups, its possible to do that, but the biceps will always fatigue first and have a lot of involvement.  

The way I do pullups is different than what I see most people doing.  Most people I see short stroke them whereas I would always go all the way up and all the way down even pausing just a second at the bottom.  Even doing that, which is the way I always have, still is not as good as the Lat Pulldown for me.  The whole Pullups are better than Lat Pulldowns is a bunch of nonsense bullshit.

Agreed, that your biceps and for me, forearms, give out first when doing pullups. Yes, I do a pullup in a similar manner. Actually, today I worked back and started off with lat pulldowns. I decided to do wide grip pullups (assisted) last in my work out. I was wondering how it would feel doing them last.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
Agreed, that your biceps and for me, forearms, give out first when doing pullups. Yes, I do a pullup in a similar manner. Actually, today I worked back and started off with lat pulldowns. I decided to do wide grip pullups (assisted) last in my work out. I was wondering how it would feel doing them last.
Probably like shit.  The thought of "why am I doing this" may have even crossed your mind. haha

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
Probably like shit.  The thought of "why am I doing this" may have even crossed your mind. haha

It definitely felt awkward. I am never opposed to trying something new just for the hell of it. But at that point of the work out, it was really difficult to get a squeeze or a pump.
X

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »

It depends on who you are.  Pullups work better for me, especially going all the way down and getting the maximum stretch and contraction on the way up.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
To be fair most people use lat pulldowns not because it works better for them but because they are lazy and or aren't strong enough for pullups.  And to TA's other point you can do drop sets with pullups if you do them weighted.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
I always start my back workouts with pullups when I'm fresh.  Always get more out of it. Learned that from Chris Cormier.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »
Chins/pull-ups are among the best excersises I do them sometimes 3 times in my workout beginning Middle and end. Pull downs do not compare.... Most guys hate pull ups and chins because they are hard.
choice is an illusion

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 11:23:20 PM »
Lat Pulldowns are more difficult in my opinion.  Especially if you do ZERO rocking motion and do them just like this.  Most people do not do them like this.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »
I started doing Lat Pulldowns solely because Pullups had gotten too easy for me.   I was using weight as well.

AmonRa

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
Lat Pulldowns are more difficult in my opinion.  Especially if you do ZERO rocking motion and do them just like this.  Most people do not do them like this.

About as natural as sex in a bottle. What a pathetic lying schmoe!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »
And dips for the upper body.
100% agree, Dips are a great exercise.

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »
I started doing Lat Pulldowns solely because Pullups had gotten too easy for me.   I was using weight as well.

I can't do a pullup now that I'm a huge beast. My forearms give way.