Author Topic: chinups & pullups  (Read 15408 times)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
Re: chinups & pullups
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »
your asshole is bigger than your back?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 06:09:52 AM »
Yes, not a good advert for chinning...

I've started doing them again, and underhand pullups for biceps, enjoying going full circle in my training, you have to warm up on lat pulldowns 1st if you want to protect againt tears

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 07:10:10 AM »
Fundamental exercise.  Unless you're 'husky' in which case you need special techniques and equipment suited for an advanced trainer.  ::)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
One of the best back excercises ever , weighted without... A staple in my workout
Pull downs are for warm ups or a finisher.. I call that a bitch movement
NEVER pull downs over chins never
choice is an illusion

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »
One of the best back excercises ever , weighted without... A staple in my workout

It IS a bitch movement not a real back movement. Chins all the way.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
Lat Pulldowns are more difficult in my opinion.  Especially if you do ZERO rocking motion and do them just like this.  Most people do not do them like this.

Most people do not aspire to be as un-muscular as that

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
Total nonsense. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
I've noticed that most of the fellows who do chins and pull-ups with relative ease at the gym are the slimmer dudes. Less weight to pull up, would be my guess. Form is everything in my opinion. If you can't do these exercises using good form, then start with something where you don't compromise form. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
Total nonsense. 
Yes, the back muscles know instinctively if you are on a chinning bar as opposed to a lat pulldown machine.  ::)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
Nonsence for you but not for me... I speak for myself I have a wig wide muscular back and it's all from chins barbell rows chins deadlifts and chins
Pull down is a bitch movement for me.. Warm up or a finishing movement .. That's it
And that works for me
choice is an illusion

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Nonsence for you but not for me... I speak for myself I have a wig wide muscular back and it's all from chins barbell rows chins deadlifts and chins
Pull down is a bitch movement for me.. Warm up or a finishing movement .. That's it
And that works for me

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Yes, the back muscles know instinctively if you are on a chinning bar as opposed to a lat pulldown machine.  ::)
Yes, because pulling down the weight is different than pulling up your weight.
Also, many lat pull down machines have a pad to put your legs under, so you can in theory use more weight than you weigh or are used to, in a sense, cheating. You can't do that with a pull up, doing one full rep is all or nothing. Also, Pull ups help with grip strength. Shawn Ray would use straps because he said that his has bad grip strength.
Also, I would feel the exercise in my lats more with wide grip pull ups than with pull downs.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
I think pullups are superior because your body remains vertical. Most people lean back when doing pulldowns.

If I do pulldowns I do them like this @.50

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

My thoughts exactly
A pump a squeeze movement... A warm up excersise ... I've never not done chins aside from the fact that chins are one of the best excersises for back. It also is more of a functional movement...
Most bbers are useless outside the gym couldn't clim over a wall if they were being chased by dog for instance
My muscles aren't just for show they are functional
choice is an illusion

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

::)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Yes, because pulling down the weight is different than pulling up your weight.
Also, many lat pull down machines have a pad to put your legs under, so you can in theory use more weight than you weigh or are used to, in a sense, cheating. You can't do that with a pull up, doing one full rep is all or nothing. Also, Pull ups help with grip strength. Shawn Ray would use straps because he said that his has bad grip strength.
Also, I would feel the exercise in my lats more with wide grip pull ups than with pull downs.
Of course... There is no comparison I laugh at guys I see in the gym leaning back pulling that stack down but would not dare go to the chiming bar because they are not able to do even 6 chins
choice is an illusion

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
Can't remember why I stopped doing chins might work back to doing them again. Probably had an injury as usual.

I never felt I could squeeze muscle on it but I suppose I don't on deadlifts either and they are my favourite back exercise.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
For those who struggle with chinups/pullups. try super-slow chinups/pullups on the assisted chin-dip machine at your gym if your gym has that machine. 10 seconds positive..5 seconds negative.  Aim for failure at 5-6 reps.   Do these super-slow chins for 6 weeks and then go back to regular chinups/pullups.  Your reps on regular chinup/pullups should increase by roughly 30-50%.   It works!!  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »

My thoughts exactly
A pump a squeeze movement... A warm up excersise ... I've never not done chins aside from the fact that chins are one of the best excersises for back. It also is more of a functional movement...
Most bbers are useless outside the gym couldn't clim over a wall if they were being chased by dog for instance
My muscles aren't just for show they are functional

How often have you been chased by a dog?  ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
For those who struggle with chinups/pullups. try super-slow chinups/pullups on the assisted chin-dip machine at your gym if your gym has that machine. 10 seconds positive..5 seconds negative.  Aim for failure at 5-6 reps.   Do these super-slow chins for 6 weeks and then go back to regular chinups/pullups.  Your reps on regular chinup/pullups should increase by roughly 30-50%.   It works!!  

Sounds like a plan.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »

getting 'good' at pullups is about learning how to maximize leverage and momentum. Or losing weight.

unless you've never trained your lats then its not about getting stronger, its about learning the groove of the lift by doing the lift.

I can currently do 8 slow, controlled pullups. I could 'improve' my numbers by cheating or maybe becoming more neurologically efficient at the movement but I'm not going to dramatically increase my lat strength unless I up the dose

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 07:52:43 PM »
It is interesting that some jobs which require a degree of physical agility and strength measured this by how many chin-ups a recruit could do. I believe in most cases this exercise was dropped because by-in-large women cannot do chin ups. This flies in the face of equal opportunity employment and gender discrimination. Pushups and sit-ups are still required of all applicants though.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:49 AM »

Boom!

What's the name of this pose, rear double ass cheek?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 03:09:23 AM »
How often have you been chased by a dog?  ;)

You trying to imply a Hebrew poster is incriminating himself, using chins as a means of evading capture?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:11 AM »
I've noticed that most of the fellows who do chins and pull-ups with relative ease at the gym are the slimmer dudes. Less weight to pull up, would be my guess. Form is everything in my opinion. If you can't do these exercises using good form, then start with something where you don't compromise form. 
it was that way when I was in the Marine Corps as well. Most of the guys with a perfect PFT with 20 pullups were very small guys. I struggled with 5 in boot and 10 later on. Of course it doesnt help that youre so weak and beaten down all the time.

Its funny, because the 20+ pullup guys always struggled humping gear and ammo, so while they looked great on the physical fitness test, when we actually went out and had to do grunt shit, they were falling out, passing out, unable to hump their load...

i had to help carry a small kid up a hill called the Reaper in boot, he fell out, couldnt keep up, so we split his gear off and handed it to another 'fat body' (military term for anyone over their BMI charts specified weight), and grabbed him and carried his ass uo the hill in addition to all our gear.

Kid was a cocky ass former track stat when we got there, straight out of highschool. Ill never forget the SDIs look and browbeating he gave that kid when he saw us fat bodies cresting the ridge carrying mr 140lb perfect PFT track star. Kid got a brutal gut check.