Author Topic: The Irony of buying a gun vs. voting  (Read 3499 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: The Irony of buying a gun vs. voting
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
The GAO report concluded it does but if you have some other recent report that says it doesn't then I'll be glad to look at it

Link please.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
I can't imagine there is one person on this site who thinks buying a gun without a photo ID is acceptable.   Did you use the word irony correctly?

I find it acceptable for Americans to buy guns without photo ID. Like Straw Man pointed out, they can get fake Id`s anyway and probably easier than a real one. Besides it`s population control, the US is overpopulated anyway.....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »
I find it acceptable for Americans to buy guns without photo ID. Like Straw Man pointed out, they can get fake Id`s anyway and probably easier than a real one. Besides it`s population control, the US is overpopulated anyway.....

and if you also believe that a photo ID should not be a requirement to vote then you have a perfectly consistent point of view

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
and if you also believe that a photo ID should not be a requirement to vote then you have a perfectly consistent point of view

You are correct. 

Speaking of consistent points of view, what are your thoughts on background checks, add them to voting, or removing them from firearms purchases?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
You are correct. 

Speaking of consistent points of view, what are your thoughts on background checks, add them to voting, or removing them from firearms purchases?
hahahahahhahahah

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
You are correct. 

we could give voting and gun ownership some parity

so let's start with a national voter registry with a national voter ID card (that will capture everyone over 18 who is eligible to vote) and then we can use that card to create a national gun registry or gun owner registry

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 09:10:09 PM »
we could give voting and gun ownership some parity

so let's start with a national voter registry with a national voter ID card (that will capture everyone over 18 who is eligible to vote) and then we can use that card to create a national gun registry or gun owner registry

but, all of those things disenfranchise the poor and minorities, that`s what the ID to vote debate is all about, or so it`s being framed.....

Registering a gun is not part of the topic, it`s the act of voting or purchasing a gun, not the gun itself.  Please stay on topic.

So no more back ground checks? or do you add them to voting?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
but, all of those things disenfranchise the poor and minorities, that`s what the ID to vote debate is all about, or so it`s being framed.....

So no more back ground checks? or do you add them to voting?

I'm saying that we should create a national voting registry with automatic registration and photo ID card when you turn 18

I'm fine with that

how about you ?

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
I'm saying that we should create a national voting registry with automatic registration and ID card when you turn 18

I'm fine with that

how about you ?

Why does a regular ID disenfranchise poor and minority people, but a national registry ID doesn`t? That makes no sense.

Again, background checks for guns and voting or no bC for either?  Simple question. If you can`t answer that simple question no reason to continue...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
Why does a regular ID disenfranchise poor and minority people, but a national registry ID doesn`t? That makes no sense.

Again, background checks for guns and voting or no bC for either?  Simple question. If you can`t answer that simple question no reason to continue...

let's create a structure that is not only efficient but also enfranchises everyone

lets expand our democratic participation

I'm sure you're for on board for that

and then we can use that voter photo ID for gun ownership registration, transfer etc...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:48 PM »
In virtually every state in the country you can purchase a gun without a photo ID

What is the argument we most often hear from Republicans in objection to even the most modest gun legislation?
They say it would create an unfair burden on law abiding citizens AND the criminals would still find a way to get a gun anyway so what is the point?

If you believe that argument then the same exact argument applies to voting.   If you were intent of being a fraudulent voter it wouldn't be that difficult to get a fake ID (probably easier then getting a real one) and does in fact create a burden on law abiding citizens who would to cast a legitimate vote

Also, we know that gun violence is a REAL problem and we have zero proof that fraudulent voting is a real problem

So how about some consistency from our Republican friends or at least some honesty. 

When it comes to Republican and some Democratic politicians, honesty is not in their vocabulary.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
In virtually every state in the country you can purchase a gun without a photo ID

What is the argument we most often hear from Republicans in objection to even the most modest gun legislation?
They say it would create an unfair burden on law abiding citizens AND the criminals would still find a way to get a gun anyway so what is the point?

If you believe that argument then the same exact argument applies to voting.   If you were intent of being a fraudulent voter it wouldn't be that difficult to get a fake ID (probably easier then getting a real one) and does in fact create a burden on law abiding citizens who would to cast a legitimate vote

Also, we know that gun violence is a REAL problem and we have zero proof that fraudulent voting is a real problem

So how about some consistency from our Republican friends or at least some honesty.  

I dont understand this. Im living in washington and I have to show my fckn passport to pick up the rifle I just bought, and had to get an FFL.

Math not adding up with that graph.

Also, i would think showing ID to purchase a gun is a no brainer.

Garbage Man

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 01:14:04 AM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:50 AM »

what a ridiculous riflescope to have on that weapon......

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 06:21:28 AM »

I love this.  What you have there is your average militia member.
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »
I love this.  What you have there is your average militia member.
i think hes even more sad, looks like an airsoft 'simulator' to me.

They spend 10s of thousands of dollars on replics and REAL military gear, including optics, visible and IR lasers,  quad rails, foregrips, plate csrriers and stictch authentic unit logos, only to round out all that insanity with a gun that shoots plastic BBs.

I mean, they buy legit milirary hardware and real firearms accessories and mpunt them on their plastic pea shooter.

I never understand those guys. Fuck juat volunteer for the real military already.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
I dont understand this. Im living in washington and I have to show my fckn passport to pick up the rifle I just bought, and had to get an FFL.

Math not adding up with that graph.

Also, i would think showing ID to purchase a gun is a no brainer.

Think harder

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/29/clintons_line_was_true_the_sad_facts_about_assault_weapons_and_voting/
As for guns, under federal law, you can buy a gun through a private seller without even showing an ID. And assault weapons have been fair game since the ban on them expired in 2004. Here’s a Department of Justice report (emphasis added):

Individuals who buy guns from an unlicensed private seller in a “secondary market venue” (such as gun shows, flea markets, and Internet sites) are exempt from the requirements of federal law to show identification, complete the Form 4473, and undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
I have over 30 fire arms.....I've had to produce ID every FUCKING TIME. Texas, Kentucky, Ohio, Kansas and Missouri.  This is bullshit. The guy at the counter takes ur ID and paperwork and does your background check. They write down the ID number for the ATF checks. IF you want to vote you should have ID. I guess there are a lot of blacks and latino's that don't drive, don't cash checks, don't use a credit card, library pharmacy  etc etc etc. This is all so Dems can cheat.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Think harder

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/29/clintons_line_was_true_the_sad_facts_about_assault_weapons_and_voting/

Ok.....unlicensed dealers....what the fuck does that have to do with voting ID. Plus Salon...really..douchbag liberal bullshit at its finest. If you cant get an ID maybe you shouldn't vote.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
Ok.....unlicensed dealers....what the fuck does that have to do with voting ID. Plus Salon...really..douchbag liberal bullshit at its finest. If you cant get an ID maybe you shouldn't vote.

it shows you can get a gun in this country without a photo ID

gun violence is an actual problem in this country where as voter fraud is so infrequent as to be statistically inconsequential

the only consequential result of requiring a photo ID when voting is to disenfranchise voters

btw - very odd that the pro-gun members of our board seem unaware of the "gun show loophole" (and of course it's not just gun shows)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
it shows you can get a gun in this country without a photo ID

gun violence is an actual problem in this country where as voter fraud is so infrequent as to be statistically inconsequential

the only consequential result of requiring a photo ID when voting is to disenfranchise voters

btw - very odd that the pro-gun members of our board seem unaware of the "gun show loophole" (and of course it's not just gun shows)

Gun violence is not a problem in this country.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
Gun violence is not a problem in this country.   

it's a much bigger problem than voter fraud and of course with much more dire consequences

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/13/gun_nuts_powerful_new_enemy_how_pediatricians_are_taking_on_the_nra/
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

The U.S. firearms fatality rate among children under 15 years old is nearly 12 times higher than in 25 other industrialized countries combined, a stunning lapse of core government responsibility.

About 3,000 children and teens die from gun injuries every year. (That exceeds one Sandy Hook Massacre every three days.)
A child or teen dies or is injured every 30 minutes from guns.

According to The New England Journal of Medicine, among children and young people (1 to 24 years old), gun-related injuries caused 6759 deaths nationally. For perspective, that’s twice as many deaths as caused by cancer, five times as many as heart disease, and 15 times as many as infections.

To those fatality numbers, add the 20,000 children rushed to emergency rooms with gun injuries every year.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
it's a much bigger problem than voter fraud and of course with much more dire consequences

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/13/gun_nuts_powerful_new_enemy_how_pediatricians_are_taking_on_the_nra/

No its not - we have a problem w ghetto gang bangers and thugs.