Author Topic: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?  (Read 12785 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
People take this shit way too seriously.  I have read a boatload of stories of fans getting shot, stabbed, beaten up etc.. at games. 

Meanwhile in Russia. ;D

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 06:41:33 AM »
I am a FANATIC when it comes to my sports teams. (ohio state, browns, cavs, indians). When Ohio State lost to Va. Tech, my entire week was ruined! I didnt watch sportscenter for a week after that. And after the two losses last year, i put it behind me like a tramatic experience.

When Leborn left the 1st time, i stopped watching him play. I didnt see the finals for 4 years. I sent about 30 nasty emails to the Heat and burned all my Lebron shit! Now, im fucked b/c i have ZERO Lebron wear! LOL

GO BUCKS

F-MICHIGAN

MikMaq

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
This.  Society is too distracted with sports and the drivel known as "reality television", to concern themselves with matters of real importance.  As long as American Idol is on T.V and Walmart is open, life is good in most people's eyes. 
Please what are these important things, and more importantly how any average person could deal with those things while being an adult.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Humans are tribal creatures.

We need to feel like we belong to a group.

We need a common enemy.

Following a sports team can fulfill this innate desire in us.

Following a religion is another example. There are plenty more.

To advance as a civilization we need to evolve  to overcome this destructive aspect of our genetics.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
typically guys don't like sports because they weren't good at them

E
E

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
typically guys don't like sports because they weren't good at them

E
Dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Most people who watch sports, never played them.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
Brainwashed since birth.  I gave up the sports fan thing around 12 or so.  I realized it's just a money maker with no team loyalty.  The saddest, is when people rally behind a team, as if they are playing for them.  Do people think athletes really give a shit about the people in the city?
There is so much hype around every event, I see how people buy into it.  I can respect the athletes, but the fanboys are just sad to watch.  You know...the guy who wears a Farve jersey to the sports bar on Sunday...as if he's about to do battle...instead it's usually a fatbody sucking down wings and beer.
N

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »
Betas

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »
Fans are crying and acting like fools and the players just move on and don't give a fuck. They go back, change into their Tom Ford suits, drive their Ferraris back to their 10,000 sqft pads and have top 10 models suck them off while the average Joe beats his kids and wife because "his" team lost.

;D

I'm with you, man. Ridiculous. I mean, I get why watching sports is fun, and I understand rooting for a specific team, for whatever reason, but so many take things WAY too far.

"We won! We won!" ::)

YOU didn't win a damn thing, tosser.

Me, I am always too immersed in my own physical endeavor, powerlifting, to really have much time to devote to other mens' athletic pursuits.

Most weekends, say, while Freddy "Scamper" Mantits is eating greasy wings, chugging back bottle after bottle of estrogen-promoting brew, screaming at his rat-bastard kids to shut the fuck up and his wife to bring him the phone so he can order another grease wheel, all while watching "his" team do battle, I'm squatting big wheels and pressing hundreds of pounds, becoming a mega-man of inhuman might and manliness.

Freddy's just building his mantits and farting relentlessly into his couch, growing fatter and weaker with each and every game.  

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »
like sonny said in the movie  A BRONX TALE,  go ask mickey mantle to pay your rent and see what he tells you :D
R

MikMaq

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
Dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Most people who watch sports, never played them.
Straw man argument from getbig ultimate scientist ::)

Ignoring the fact that when your an adult who actually has a real job there is no time etc,

The reality is no one is saying it's cool to watch and have never played a day.

This is an uber american phenom of acting like playing the game isn't important.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
I hate watching sports. I hate the Monday morning quarterbacking and everyone's comments about what they would have done if they were the coach, or why a player sucks.

You never played a sport in your life, you were picked last in gym class, but you know more then the best coaches in the game. I cant listen to that crap.

Then these guys that wear jersey's with a guys name on the back. What kind of a loser wears another guys name?

MikMaq

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
I hate watching sports. I hate the Monday morning quarterbacking and everyone's comments about what they would have done if they were the coach, or why a player sucks.

You never played a sport in your life, you were picked last in gym class, but you know more then the best coaches in the game. I cant listen to that crap.

Then these guys that wear jersey's with a guys name on the back. What kind of a loser wears another guys name?
there are douches in all walks of life, has nothing to do with watching sports.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

wrong

most that hate them were picked last in gym

this is what makes bodybuilding such a great sport, anybody can excel at it

E
E

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Straw man argument from getbig ultimate scientist ::)

Ignoring the fact that when your an adult who actually has a real job there is no time etc,

The reality is no one is saying it's cool to watch and have never played a day.

This is an uber american phenom of acting like playing the game isn't important.
Its a statistical certainty based on viewership, moron.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »

That's horseshit. Most people watch sports because they did play them. Otherwise they wouldn't understand what they're watching.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »
I watch because 1. I like it. I like watching the strategy and planning of a team game, what works and what doesn't. 2. I observe the athletes and watch how they prepare. Nothing better than true athleticism and watching a spectacular play and 3. I know coaches and players on some of those teams.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
like sonny said in the movie  A BRONX TALE,  go ask mickey mantle to pay your rent and see what he tells you :D

I swear to GOD I was going to post that. Great line , but I think Sonny added The Yankees don't give a crap about you kid and then said the Mickey Mantle  rent line.

I had a season ticket for the ATL Braves for a couple years. I was divorced/single at the time and found it to be a wholesome outlet.
LOL, a lot better then getting drunk in a bar or wasted on drugs, but I digress.

The energy and atmosphere of the ballpark was cool and I got lost in the game.
I even purchased and wore a replica Braves Jersey at most games.
I never attended the extra events they offered for season ticket holders and rarely watched any wrap up shows where pundits yak about the game.

Once I got engaged and got a more normal lifestyle going again, I stopped wanting to go to so many games.
Now, I'm content to watch games on TV via the various sports packages you can purchase for a fraction of the cost of going to the actual game.
( MLB Extra Innings ,  NHL Center Ice, etc ).

I have teams and players I enjoy seeing and I tend to root for them while they are playing the actual game.
Once the game is over, I don't want to dissect every aspect of the game and listen to sports media go on and on and on.
For me , it's fun and entertaining plus I respect the athletic skill displayed.
I don't feel any major connection however, with any team . I'm just a fan of the sport.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 12:13:28 PM »
That's horseshit. Most people watch sports because they did play them. Otherwise they wouldn't understand what they're watching.
How do you account for the large number of females who watch?

Also, its obvious the overall statistics of viewership is comprised of people who never played sports.  Do you realize the millions and millions and millions of viewers? 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »

Also, its obvious the overall statistics of viewership is comprised of people who never played sports.  Do you realize the millions and millions and millions of viewers? 

this is can attest to.  Some of the hottest pussy I've ever seen was at NFLgames.  Not sure if these chicks are the wives or GF of the players or just fans but there are some hot chicks at these games.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »
this is can attest to.  Some of the hottest pussy I've ever seen was at NFLgames.  Not sure if these chicks are the wives or GF of the players or just fans but there are some hot chicks at these games.

If you notice, a lot of these chicks are the ones who buy the Jersey's of the Quarterback or the "cute" guy on the team. Yankees had Jeter, Sox had Elsbury(that's one of the reason's the Yanks got Elsbury) they knew tons of chicks would go to the games to see him play and buy his Jersey. So many chicks have Tom Brady's jersey for the sole reason he's married to Gisele. A lot of these chicks are dreamers/delusional and think these guys are like boyfriends to them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »

Also, its obvious the overall statistics of viewership is comprised of people who never played sports.  Do you realize the millions and millions and millions of viewers?  

Females don't play sports?? My wife probably follows sports more than i do.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
I would like to say teams are just brands that create an emotional attachment but for football (soccer) in Europe it is different. You choose your team young for whatever reason (normally family or location - family for me) and that is it. You never change. That fact alone, that you can never change, means you have a bond of loyalty from the start.

If your team has success or a chance at it you get involved in their quest for success. If they do shit you bitch and moan about it, which is just as fun and less stressful. Last season was horrible for me (liverpool fan). I had become numbed to being mediocre after 5 years of being shit. Then suddenly we are 1st in league, favourites. We have to win every match. Defence is shit so every game you think they will fuck up but they keep going. 3rd last match, nearly there, they lose. 5 years of apathy then 6 months or so of hope and optimism blown away in one match. They come 2nd. Best player sold.

Now playing shit, doing shit I feel better cos I don't care as much. Fuck Demba Ba. I still have nightmares about Luis Suarez leaving too.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
If you notice, a lot of these chicks are the ones who buy the Jersey's of the Quarterback or the "cute" guy on the team. Yankees had Jeter, Sox had Elsbury(that's one of the reason's the Yanks got Elsbury) they knew tons of chicks would go to the games to see him play and buy his Jersey. So many chicks have Tom Brady's jersey for the sole reason he's married to Gisele. A lot of these chicks are dreamers/delusional and think these guys are like boyfriends to them.
I have two Brady jerseys (home/away)  :-*

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
I have two Brady jerseys (home/away)  :-*
What sports did you play when you were a kid , Shizzo ?