Author Topic: How often do you guys train each body part?  (Read 10527 times)

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
How often do you guys train each body part?
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »
I've tried a lot of different combo's over the years, right now with my busy schedule I'm doing legs/abbs, chest/arms, then back/shoulders/abbs and just rotating on whatever days I can go, usually only three or four times a week.  So I'm just curious how often do you guys train each body part and do you think this is enough? 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: How often do you guys train each body part?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »
Once a week.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
I do chest and bis, legs abs, back and tris,  shoulders traps and abs' then arms only then legs then chest and back shoulders traps arms then  back only chest only legs only in that order mostly and I train sometimes 6-7 days without a day off sometimes 2 days on 1 off sometimes every other day so they get hit we ever they fall into rotation.

T-REX007

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »
Heavy day, light day- reps twice a week
rotating the exercises monthly
not a lot of assistance work- works for me, not everybody I know

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 04:40:54 AM »
Chest x2 Core x3 Arms x2

Everything else x1

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:33:04 AM »
I think if you are training to failure with low sets using heavy weights with 1 to 2 sets an exercise then once a week. If you are training with volume for muscular endurance using moderate weight then twice a week works. A whole body routine works with three times because in general you are only doing one exercise or at the most two per body part. Nothing is written in stone.  Good Luck  ;)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:20 AM »
I think if you are training to failure with low sets using heavy weights with 1 to 2 sets an exercise then once a week. If you are training with volume for muscular endurance using moderate weight then twice a week works. A whole body routine works with three times because in general you are only doing one exercise or at the most two per body part. Nothing is written in stone.  Good Luck  ;)
x2
Good luck
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
I've tried a lot of different combo's over the years, right now with my busy schedule I'm doing legs/abbs, chest/arms, then back/shoulders/abbs and just rotating on whatever days I can go, usually only three or four times a week.  So I'm just curious how often do you guys train each body part and do you think this is enough?  

Actually what you're doing is really good. If you did something like Monday: chest and arms; Wednesday legs and Friday back and shoulders it is a good program. If you can get that 4th workout in great.

There is a lot over overlap as you probably already know. Biceps and triceps gets hit hard on Monday and it gets hit hard on back/delt day.  All the pulling on back day and any pressing for delts is hitting both bicep and tricep. Legs get hit hard on leg day and again on back day where I assume you do deadlifts or power cleans. So the legs get hit on back day.  I could go on but hopefully you get the concept I'm trying to convey about over lap.  The body works as a unit and not as individual body parts. Even once a week you are training body parts twice a week.

Since you're training everything once and sometimes rotationally twice a week I would train heavy with low sets. Not counting warms up if needed something like 2 sets per exercise maybe 3 max.  

I use to train Monday: Chest and Back; Wednesday:legs and Friday: delts and arms with weekends off. I would use something like what's listed below. Warm ups were used as necessary. If I didn't need a warm up I wouldn't do it.   Only work sets are are shown on the following chest and back routine.

Pull ups 2 x max
Seated V grip cable rows 2 x 12
Single dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Bench 2 x 6 then 1 x 1
Incline bench 2 x 6
Flat flies 2 x 10
Weighted dips 2 x 10

Deadlift 2 x 4 then 1 x 1
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15

ab work.

Tuesday would be cardio then Wednesday would be legs and so on.

I would try to keep training days as listed but both life and your body doesn't work off of calender commitments. If I missed a training day I would just do it the day after. This training system was power bodybuilding. It increased strength and build.  

Anyway these are my thoughts on your question you put out to the board.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
For years my 4 day breakdown has been
Monday - legs
Tuesday - chest/tris
Thursday - Back/bis
Friday - shoulder/arms

Sometimes I don't do tris or bis on chest/back days so I'll throw in some arms on Friday after shoulders. Gives 72 hours between overlapping body parts. Sat/Sun are random activities.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 02:28:08 AM »
I've tried a lot of different combo's over the years, right now with my busy schedule I'm doing legs/abbs, chest/arms, then back/shoulders/abbs and just rotating on whatever days I can go, usually only three or four times a week.  So I'm just curious how often do you guys train each body part and do you think this is enough?  
I have mostly trained each muscle group once a week. I think a very productive split is a 3 day split. has went out of popularity in recent years because of 4 day splits. End of the Day nothing is carved in stone.I Know a guy in the gym who trains on a 3 on 1 off split and still makes great gains hitting each muscle 2x a week.
        Good Luck  

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »
Not so much how often you train each body part, but how much you need to train each body part. Could be once to 3 times a week (3 being the max..usually). If not making progress (size/strength) on 3 time, than reduced that to twice a week. Last resort would be once a week, which has been to be found a key factor for a lot of guys, putting more gains into motion..

I got to read a lot of old Iron Man magazines, loaned to me when a teenager by an original Muscle Beach veteran. The program of Vic Downs always stuck in my mind, even today. Though other men adopted his workout scheme, so he probably wasn't the first.  Downs was from Canada and didn't start any lifting until he was 32. Downs was built like a brick wall, very rugged looking. This was in the early to late 60'ws.

He worked each body part once a day, based on a 6 day a week workout program. Doing 3 exercises for each body part...using the 5X5's for each exercise.

Example..if memory serve me right:

Mon...Back  5X5          3 exercises each
Tues...Delts   5X5            "           "
Wed...Triceps   5X5          "           "
Thurs...Biceps  5X5          "            "
Fri.....Chest   5X5             "           "
Sat...Leg  5X5                  "           "

Abs every day..10-15 minutes
Worked at a fast pace in all training. Fairly strong guy, been told.

Anything in life, or BB'ing , can be worth a try. Though this style program may not be meant for everyone. Nothing is really.

Good Luck
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
I train chest, back, legs and delts once a week........arms twice a week and calves twice a week.

juicemachine

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
I just train everthing once a week in a full body circuit workout.

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
I`m training every body part once a week.

[Mon. Chest / Tue. Back / Wed. Shoulders / Thu. Arms / Fri. Legs]

Larger muscle groups 4 exercises, smaller ones 3. Sets between 4 and 6 with 6 to 8 reps.
Forearms are trained with biceps and triceps, traps with shoulders and calves with legs.
Abs only for warming up.

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
5x/week.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
everything once a week, chest i train twice a week because it sucks.

My calves also suck, but thats a whole other issue. I could train them every day and still receive only minimal growth.  :-\
X

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
I´m training each Body-part every 5 days, (3 workouts in 5 Days), cause this fits best with my working times (working in different shifts). I adjust my volume/intensity-ratio to this 5-Day-Cycle. For example a bit more sets for back, medium volume for Chest and legs....so the recuperation for each Bodypart will be close to optimal in 5 Days (cause some muscles recuperate faster i hit them with more volume, others i do less sets)

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 06:16:32 AM »
Once per week

Chest, back (width movements)
Legs

Shoulders, traps, triceps
Back (deadlifts + rowing movements), biceps

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
Usually twice.  Sometimes I will only do legs once per week if there is still residual soreness.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
3 times