Author Topic: Mount Rushmore - Wrestlers and Mgrs  (Read 19288 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Mount Rushmore - Wrestlers and Mgrs
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Heard this question on Jim Cornette and Jim Ross' podcast

Who would be on your Mount Rushmore of wrestlers and Managers

Wrestlers

Stone Cold, Bruno, Hulk Hogan..not sure of 4th

Managers

Heenan, Jim Cornette, JJ Dillon or Paul E, Gary Hart

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: Mount Rushmore - Wrestlers and Mgrs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:11:11 AM »
Heenan, Paul E, Jimmy Hart & either Cornette or Blassie for my managerial choices.

Hogan, Sammartino, Austin & Flair for wrestlers.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Heenan, Paul E, Jimmy Hart & either Cornette or Blassie for my managerial choices.

Ditto on the wrestlers

Managers: Albano, Blassie, Heenan, The Grand Wizard

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
bruno, hogan, austin, cena.     each had longevity and love them or hate them  defined their era. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
 :)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
:)

I think Hellwig made the biggest impact in the shortest time. He didn't occupy that spot for long, but it was enough to cast doubt in Hogan's mind.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »

Wrestlers

Managers

Most here know that I am a HUGE Bobby Heenan mark.
I've never met him personally, and this assessment is based solely on his professional qualities.

He managed like a wrestler, and wrestled like a manager.
Think about it - he would oftentimes sell a hit better than the guy he was "managing." And, the bumps he took were fantastic!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Wrestlers

Managers

I was a big fan of Gary Hart's persona. 
~

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
I think Hellwig made the biggest impact in the shortest time. He didn't occupy that spot for long, but it was enough to cast doubt in Hogan's mind.

Do you think if Hellwig wasn't so difficult and left 2-3 x he would have had a longer run and perhaps eclipsed Hogan?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
Do you think if Hellwig wasn't so difficult and left 2-3 x he would have had a longer run and perhaps eclipsed Hogan?

Personally I don't think people could buy the Warrior as anything other than a wild man...

As cheesy as it could be sometimes, Hogan could convey different moods and speak in complete sentences.
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »

UW was a flash in the pan. If he was truly worth a fraction of what he thought he was worth, Vince would have paid it. Simple...

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:23:35 AM »

I'd put JJ in w/ the managers but for wrestlers that's the cream of the crop in terms of where they brought wrestling to.
$

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »

Goldberg was the same with less yelling. No staying power in terms of them performing on a big stage for a while.
$

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
Goldberg was the same with less yelling. No staying power in terms of them performing on a big stage for a while.

Yeah. I also think that for characters that are so one-dimensional, there's only so much you can do with them.

I've mentioned this before: guys like Flair would revisit feuds - usually multiple times. They could work programs that drew money with the same talent over and over.

The paradigm of Hogan, UW, Goldberg, etc. is that they had a buildup, and then the grande finale in which they mowed down their opponent. There was seldom a "part II." As a result, the promotion had to bring in new faces to feed the formula.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »

Yeah. I also think that for characters that are so one-dimensional, there's only so much you can do with them.

I've mentioned this before: guys like Flair would revisit feuds - usually multiple times. They could work programs that drew money with the same talent over and over.

The paradigm of Hogan, UW, Goldberg, etc. is that they had a buildup, and then the grande finale in which they mowed down their opponent. There was seldom a "part II." As a result, the promotion had to bring in new faces to feed the formula.

I read this really interesting article that had me think about something I never realized.

It was about finishers and how they are shit now. He talked about how in the older matches you'd see Hogan break down a dude with brute strength then leg drop him. Or Flair attack a guys knee until the right time to do a figure four. They weren't magic movies. You had some like Jake the Snakes or Macho Man's finishers who were flash ones that were meant to be sudden and over with but otherwise the finisher was treated like an art form. Now they are just like super moves that magically end things. I think this is where the Goldbergs and UW's suffer. It's just brute force and no selling.
I watched some old Flair matches and seeing it from that lense really made it better then the newer stuff.
$

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
Slaughter, Martel etc used to go to work on the back to set up their respective finishers, you knew where they were heading and believed how much pain the guys were in.

Today there are some absolute stinkers, moves that when you analyse them arent much different than a suplex or back drop. When was the last time you saw somebody go down to a suplex or a back drop!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
Slaughter, Martel etc used to go to work on the back to set up their respective finishers, you knew where they were heading and believed how much pain the guys were in.

Today there are some absolute stinkers, moves that when you analyse them arent much different than a suplex or back drop. When was the last time you saw somebody go down to a suplex or a back drop!

CM Punk has to have the worst finisher I've ever seen for the level of stardom he's achieved. That shit looks like something I'd pull on my cousin when I was 12.
$

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 08:38:38 AM »

The "Rock Bottom" was essentially a shove.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
That's true but he sold it well. Just like when Rick Rude would do his neck breaker. I thought when I was a kid dudes were dying. Or the Perfectplex, you knew a dude couldn't get out of it.
$

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
Warriors splash has to be the worst of all time for superstardom. Back in the day you genuinely thought the Dooms Day device would kill you, or that the Tombstone would knock you out, hell you even believed The Bossman Slam to an extent. Some of the shit they throw together these days is ridiculous, MVP had to be the worst.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
That's true but he sold it well. Just like when Rick Rude would do his neck breaker. I thought when I was a kid dudes were dying. Or the Perfectplex, you knew a dude couldn't get out of it.

No, no, no... the opponents sold it well!

Honky Tonk Man's "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" was the same thing. The success of that move depended almost entirely on your opponent. He could have done a knip-up, gave a middle-finger ala Dynamite Kid, and continued the match, thereby destroying the move's credibility. Granted, he would have forfeited his pay and been blackballed in the industry, but...

Hennig had some strength & technique. I remember the pop he got when he did the fisherman's supplex on Big Show.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
Warriors splash has to be the worst of all time for superstardom. Back in the day you genuinely thought the Dooms Day device would kill you, or that the Tombstone would knock you out, hell you even believed The Bossman Slam to an extent. Some of the shit they throw together these days is ridiculous, MVP had to be the worst.

The Doomsday Device was one of the most inconsiderate pieces of moves ever conceived.
Bret & Anvil based their "Heart-Attack" on the DDD, but their version was much more forgiving on the opponents.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
I remember thinking Earthquake was killing motherfuckers when he'd start jumping around the jobbers.
$