Author Topic: JM Press  (Read 32052 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
JM Press
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
Was spotting a guy tonight in the Gym with this (you need a spotter ! ) and i have done this exercise before but as a "Tiger Dip" or push up. A very demanding Tricep exercise.

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: JM Press
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
I have tried these before but I couldn't really get used to them. I heard people swear by these for tricep strength and size. Perhaps will give em' another try soon. I have been doing close grip incline presses and those are also great for triceps and overall pressing strength.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
I've done them both the original way Jim Blakely demonstrates them, as well as a variation. Both are quite effective, IMO.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
I have a new found love for these things, actually made my bench go up at age 48... A staple from now on...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:12:46 AM »
I have a new found love for these things, actually made my bench go up at age 48... A staple from now on...

I noticed an appreciable bump in strength from them as well.

I keep my elbows pointed a little higher during the movement than the gentleman in the video. I also use a lighter weight, which may better allow this form.

Additionally, I shorten the stroke of the rep to just shy of locking out to keep tension on the tri's. (You've probably figured out that I train more for hypertrophy than power...Forgive me, Chaos!)

I remember Blakeley describing the negative portion as letting your forearms "fold on top of your biceps." So, I've always imagined the exercise as performing a skull-crusher lowering the bar to the neck, rather than the forehead or behind the head.

Larry Scott was known to use a variation in which he lowered the bar to about the same level, but his biceps ended up parallel with the side of his body at the bottom of the rep. It was still an extension/pressing movement, but done with a different elbow positioning.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:44 AM »

I noticed an appreciable bump in strength from them as well.

I keep my elbows pointed a little higher during the movement than the gentleman in the video. I also use a lighter weight, which may better allow this form.

Additionally, I shorten the stroke of the rep to just shy of locking out to keep tension on the tri's. (You've probably figured out that I train more for hypertrophy than power...Forgive me, Chaos!)

I remember Blakeley describing the negative portion as letting your forearms "fold on top of your biceps." So, I've always imagined the exercise as performing a skull-crusher lowering the bar to the neck, rather than the forehead or behind the head.

Larry Scott was known to use a variation in which he lowered the bar to about the same level, but his biceps ended up parallel with the side of his body at the bottom of the rep. It was still an extension/pressing movement, but done with a different elbow positioning.
Good Post Monty... have you a pic of Scott doing it. Maybe i have seen it but not sure. his variation sounds intresting.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
Good Post Monty... have you a pic of Scott doing it. Maybe i have seen it but not sure. his variation sounds intresting.

I'm certain that I have posted a picture of Scott doing them, but I believe it was Funk who posted a better split picture depicting both the top and bottom portions of the rep. Mine only showed the top part, and it's the other pic that you need to see to understand the elbow positioning.

I also remember seeing an article in which Larry described the movement. That article & link appeared either in the Larry Scott thread pinned on the Training Log board, or it may have been in the Scott or Gironda thread in the History section.

I'm only going from memory, here. I used to have all of that stuff at my fingertips on my old computer before it crashed & burned.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:21:44 AM »

I'm certain that I have posted a picture of Scott doing them, but I believe it was Funk who posted a better split picture depicting both the top and bottom portions of the rep. Mine only showed the top part, and it's the other pic that you need to see to understand the elbow positioning.

I also remember seeing an article in which Larry described the movement. That article & link appeared either in the Larry Scott thread pinned on the Training Log board, or it may have been in the Scott or Gironda thread in the History section.

I'm only going from memory, here. I used to have all of that stuff at my fingertips on my old computer before it crashed & burned.
Yes i am sure Funky Bro has posted it.. He has his finger on the pulse.. :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
Not the picture I was thinking of, but it shows what I described above:

And, here's a link to an article - not Larry's, but it describes the movement fairly well: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arms-without-equal-larry-scott-arm-workout.html

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
Not the picture I was thinking of, but it shows what I described above:

And, here's a link to an article - not Larry's, but it describes the movement fairly well: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arms-without-equal-larry-scott-arm-workout.html
EXCELLENT.. Thanks Monty  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Gets the lower inserts of the triceps pretty well.  Lots of focus on the tendon/joint area, so perhaps try not working to any extreme weight when getting use to it. And a good warm up ..absolutely. Certainly can help with a full lockout  at those triceps/elbow inserts. Great crossover movement, just go slow at first. As in the pictures, an EZ bar might be a good idea to start with, rather than a regular bar, better grip, better feel  to the wrist..all the way down to the elbows.

Skull crushers (though most guys lower to the chin/throat area...truth be told) are akin to these JM extensions. Original SK's are meant to be an extension movement, but most guy's semi press out the weight like JM.  Most weight on a SK I've seen was a bit over 300 for 3-4 reps. . ..all part of his regular tricep workout.  Probably more weight done somewhere...I'm sure. This was in Orange county.

Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
Gets the lower inserts of the triceps pretty well.  Lots of focus on the tendon/joint area, so perhaps try not working to any extreme weight when getting use to it. And a good warm up ..absolutely. Certainly can help with a full lockout  at those triceps/elbow inserts. Great crossover movement, just go slow at first. As in the pictures, an EZ bar might be a good idea to start with, rather than a regular bar, better grip, better feel  to the wrist..all the way down to the elbows.

Skull crushers (though most guys lower to the chin/throat area...truth be told) are akin to these JM extensions. Original SK's are meant to be an extension movement, but most guy's semi press out the weight like JM.  Most weight on a SK I've seen was a bit over 300 for 3-4 reps. . ..all part of his regular tricep workout.  Probably more weight done somewhere...I'm sure. This was in Orange county.

Good Luck.

Yes! I'm glad you found this thread, friend!!

Several people have approached me, asking if this movement bothers my elbows. I learned a while back that a slow and controlled negative reduces the "pain" commonly associated with skull's and similar movements.

It is also widely believed that lowering the bar to BEHIND the head, rather than to the forehead, yields less stress on the condylar tendons. That may be the case, but I can honestly say that, with careful/strict form, the JM Press has NEVER bothered my elbows - and, this is coming from someone who used to have appreciable condylar tendonitis!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
Montague

Yeah, lowering the bar behind the head puts the elbows in a closer range of a straight up & down position, giving more of a direct focus on the triceps themselves. And doing away with any pressing motion, and becoming more of an extension movement it was intended to be. As I have mentioned many times before, the elbows will usually lead the way, and in return have a greater influence on the path and result of a exercise.

People don't need to fear giving the elbows joints/ligaments and tendons punishment, if knowing how to strengthen that complex through logical training. There are certain training programs that can almost insure durable and strong joints. Thing being, most guy's lift too heavy, much too often and going to failure on just about every set, every workout. Self defeating, if nothing else.

Wise decision on your part about the slow and controlled negatives. Negative training can become very important in anyone's training plans. And yes, JM pressing can be very rewarding. Gironda did a version for lighter BB'ing exercising and of course the pump. Actually I don't think there are any true new exercises in lifting. just other versions and training protocols.

Keep up the good works and stay cool,
 Good luck.

F

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »
Great thread, thanks guys.
sept 10th APF

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »
I did these for years when i was into powerlifting.  They are a great exercise for strength.

8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
 ;D i always use the ez curl bar for these saves a lot of strain on the wrists.
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
I found that if I lower to my mouth area, it feels the best for me. (Right elbow is messed  up).
So I renamed them after my dentist in the case I drop it one day (The Gangi Press)...

He laughed at that, but said "Keep that bar away from your teeth"... :)