Author Topic: Adjustable dumbbell preference  (Read 8005 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Adjustable dumbbell preference
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Do any of you guys own IronMaster or Power Block adjustable dumbbells.  Which system is better?  I know most that want a traditional dumbbell go with the IronMaster but the Power Blocks look amazingly fast to change the weights.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
Re: Adjustable dumbbell preference
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
I think aj has the iron master ones and loves them.  I have the bowflex 1090s.  They work well, but you have to coddle them.
Y

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
I ha power blox stage 3 up to 130lbs in my home gym but u better not drop them good handles some times awkward

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
I guess the power blocks can break if you drop them?  I don't drop dumbbells but I know many do.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Wouldn't break if u dropped them but they can b scratched easily they have a weird Finish on them that will chip they are made of steel but the bars in between the heavy sides on either side of the handle r narrow and could bend kind of like u see dbs at gym where assholes drop like an 80lber and its bent these would get bent out of shape easier than a traditional db.   Use just have to hold one to understand what I mean.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:14 AM »
Not sure which system is better but I've had the Power Blocks (up to 125lbs) for 10 years now and am very happy with them.

They are still as new but I don't drop them on the floor though. No major problem with scratching.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Any mechanical mechanism will, sooner or later, break up. Why not join a gym with a fixed collection of dumbbells?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
Any mechanical mechanism will, sooner or later, break up. Why not join a gym with a fixed collection of dumbbells?

Do you really want to drive the discussion as to why people might prefer to work out at home?

Let's see....

Ability to customize
Privacy
Cost
etc.......

but no, scrap all that because your adjustable dumbbells could fail some point down the line?
Y

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
Do you really want to drive the discussion as to why people might prefer to work out at home?

Let's see....

Ability to customize
Privacy
Cost
etc.......

but no, scrap all that because your adjustable dumbbells could fail some point down the line?

No, I understand the motivations of home trainers, simply because I was once one of them. The problem I see with most equipment, made for home use, is it's poor quality. It seems flexible, but adjusting things all the time becomes annoying after a while. There's a good reason why you won't find a commercial gym with adjustable dumbbells like these.
I can go on about other reasons why I prefer a well-equipped gym, but that's not my goal.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
No, I understand the motivations of home trainers, simply because I was once one of them. The problem I see with most equipment, made for home use, is it's poor quality. It seems flexible, but adjusting things all the time becomes annoying after a while. There's a good reason why you won't find a commercial gym with adjustable dumbbells like these.
I can go on about other reasons why I prefer a well-equipped gym, but that's not my goal.

Ok....felt like you were.

It's like anything - there's varying levels - the ones I described that aj has are rock solid.  The bowflex ones need coddling.

Commercial gyms don't have them because they become cost prohibitive because they'd need multiple sets, in addition to the possibility of breaking them.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
cam't beat the feel pf the old school db. ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »
I have a big basement with 9 foot ceilings. Space isn't a problem. I'm considering down sizing my house. If you want dumbbells from 10lbs to over 100lbs in a very small area then Power Blocks and Iron Master are the way to go. Get one of their adjustable benches with attachments and you can work out at home in a very small space.

What I use now is spin lock dumbbell handles and plates on a bench that's waist high. I can make dumbbells to 75lbs very quickly. I use fixed hex dumbbells for the higher weights. This is a picture of my dumbbell rack.

Regarding breakage I heard repeatedly that Iron Master can take dropping without damage. The newer Powerblocks can also be dropped but I would be very wary of doing that intentionally time after time. I don't drop dumbbells but I realize many do.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Maybe hard to see but the bench behind the squat rack is the place I make dumbbells with spin lock handles. I even have 1lbs plates for small increments.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
Those are the biggest weight discs I've ever seen on that bar, what they weigh?

When I was a young teen my dad used to get discs burnt out of plate at work and cycle home with them in his rucksack 1 at a time, the hills must have killed him!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »

When I was a young teen my dad used to get discs burnt out of plate at work and cycle home with them in his rucksack 1 at a time, the hills must have killed him!
you kept him fit... ;D  I have my Home Gym too but not so good as Funky or Richīs. I have what i need though.. can Dip,chin,squat,bench...small stuff leg extensions/curls,preacher curls too.. Calfs i do mainly one legged DB raises with or without weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:55 AM »

Those bumper plates are 55lbs each.  Concerned about my floor when I Olympic lift and I have been getting away from it as I get older. I can drop the bar and the barbell will bounce. My 35lbs bumper plates look more like conventional plates.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »
I'm using bumper plates now, for SLDL's and Hi-pulls. Bounce then off a wooden planked hopper....heavy duty training. 12 - 20 reps.  That may come as a surprise, but higher rep, heavier training, can build impressive stamina (strength + endurance) at the same time, not to mention solid muscular weight. Even most lifting platforms have to be reinforced a bit, if seriously training with bumper plates.  Really old school stuff. Can be done on cement flooring, if the hopper is built well enough.

Good luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 03:15:44 AM »
you kept him fit... ;D  I have my Home Gym too but not so good as Funky or Richīs. I have what i need though.. can Dip,chin,squat,bench...small stuff leg extensions/curls,preacher curls too.. Calfs i do mainly one legged DB raises with or without weight.

If I had the room I'd have a small home gym set up, ideal for those days you finish work too late or you only have time for a quiky.. Id miss the gym gossip too much to train at home full time

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 04:34:00 AM »
If I had the room I'd have a small home gym set up, ideal for those days you finish work too late or you only have time for a quiky.. Id miss the gym gossip too much to train at home full time
Yes Steve does this when he canīt get to the Gym. I got most of it when i was doing Night shifts because it was just more convenient to sleep..train and eat at home. Now i am working in a Gym i alternate my workouts between the Gym and at home. Being honest sometimes itīs hard to get peace to train in the Gym. Not a big Gym so you get to know people. I train and i see someone doing something wrong and they look at you as if to say is that right? I just canīt ignore them. you know what i mean... guess i am too friendly  ;D.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 04:49:41 AM »
Funky Bro...when i see this pic i think of James Bond Gold Finger... :D