Author Topic: Elbow Pain  (Read 5931 times)

vwgti_vr6

• Getbig I
Elbow Pain
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
Lately, been getting pain in the elbow after tricep workouts.  Hurts only when you flex the arm.  Because of this it's also effecting my bicep workouts somewhat.  Anyone know how to prevent this or what to do to stop this pain.  First time in 5 years of lifting that i have ever got it.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
Re: Elbow Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:14:01 PM »
I had the same problem.  This is what worked for me done before ANY upper body exercise, yes inlcuding back & bi's;

-start glucossamine/chondroitin/msm supplementation if not already (takes about 1mo before you feel it)

-20mg/day glutamine

-rub extra strength tiger balm in large amounts over elbows deeply (doesn't smell good, but works the best for me) just before leaving to go to the gym.

-use elbow sleeve type wraps

-use ice gel pack upon arriving home from the gym

-ALWAYS warm up the joint by doing slow non-lock out single arm reverse cable press downs for a few light light sets to get the blood pumping

-Stray away from close grip and french presses for awhile, this proved to be vital to my recovery

-If you have a hand bike at the gym warming up on this will prove to be incredible at warming up the joint minimizing pain in both the elbow and rotator cuffs (pyshical therapist got me on that one)

-add some good fish oils to your diet, you could be lacking some good fats if you are too lean

I know this sounds like alot but I had to take drastic measures to eliminate it using the most advise combined from others. 

I still get a little from time to time but if I go back to the tiger balm/elbow sleeve, I usually eliminate all pain from that alone since I consistently still do the warm-up.

vwgti_vr6

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 06:52:19 AM »

it's ironic because you described for me to do almost everything i currently am.

will try to warm up on bike prior to workout and avoid those close grip bench and french presses for a little while.  I do believe i may have even hurt the elbow with seated cable french curls.

Also, will try out the ice pack after the workout.
p.s - that tiger balm does smell kinda strong - not something you want to put on for a night out on the town.
Thanks!

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:48:18 AM »
it's ironic because you described for me to do almost everything i currently am.
will try to warm up on bike prior to workout and avoid those close grip bench and french presses for a little while.  I do believe i may have even hurt the elbow with seated cable french curls.
Also, will try out the ice pack after the workout.
p.s - that tiger balm does smell kinda strong - not something you want to put on for a night out on the town.
Thanks!

LOL...you also want to wash your hands with hot hot water after you apply the tiger balm.  I put it on one day at the gym and went to the bathroom (really bad mistake). :-[ ;D

I forgot to mention, to try not locking out on chest/tri movements for a while.  That seems to help for me too, puts alot of stress on the joint.

Also, believe it or not, pull ups and lat pull downs seem to flare it up sometimes too.

The days that it bothers you alot, I would take a few motrin after you get home with your next meal to alleviate some of the inflamation.  You probably already do that one though.

Lastly...if you stop elbowing people in the forehead and maybe go for the throat, it will be alot easier on the swelling. LOL!!! ;D

Ringo

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 09:00:19 PM »
I had this problem when I was a little younger, due to an elbow injury. One thing a therapist recommended to me was to do more one-arm exercises. Like alternating pulldowns for tris or something. It keeps you from working it to the point of further aggrevation and then compensating with your other arm. Just a thought.

Ringo

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
might be because of the exercises you do. i used to get pain doing overhead type exercises, when i dropped them and replaced them with others for triceps, it disappeared.
Z

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
I am using elbow wraps right now and it seems to help with the pain a bit, but are neoprene sleeves better?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »
I have had the same problem.  The only time I would have the problem is if I did a bi's and tri's day.  In other words, my elbows were not properly warmed up before I started to work them.  Now I work tri's the same day and after i do either chest or shoulders.  This allows for my tri's to be nicely warmed and I have had no pain.....

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
I am using elbow wraps right now and it seems to help with the pain a bit, but are neoprene sleeves better?
when I tried Neoprene's it was awesome! I only use them when im going a little heavy and my elbow is giving me problems....I broke my right elbow when i was younger from Bmxing. I have lost a few degrees of motion now...not much but i can't completly lock out my right arm....surprisingly both my arms the same size!?!
bodybuildersreality.com

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 01:29:08 PM »
I have had the same problem.  The only time I would have the problem is if I did a bi's and tri's day.  In other words, my elbows were not properly warmed up before I started to work them.  Now I work tri's the same day and after i do either chest or shoulders.  This allows for my tri's to be nicely warmed and I have had no pain.....

That's what I've rcently started doing, and it has been great.  No more pain in the elbows.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »
I actually had to get surgery done because of bone spurs at the tip that were pressing against the nerves. Although not 100% (never will again) I had tremendous relief and can now do skull crushers and overhead extensions again. One note though, most of the pain in the elbow is from bad form ( bouncing the weight up instead of muscling it up on any extensions, and locking elbows out on presses when doing heavy weight). Make sure to use muscle, not momentum and BE REAL and use the weights that you can do at least 8 reps with with NO SPOT.