Author Topic: Cardio for shin splints  (Read 2968 times)

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Cardio for shin splints
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
My current cardio is 30 minutes of 1% incline treadmill running @ 6.5 mph.  I have always used the treadmill because it has the nmost bang for the buck.  More recently my shins have begun acting up again.  I can't run more than 1 mile on hard surfaces without stopping.  I have relatively new nike running shoes, and wear relatively thick socks.

I feel like the elliptical doesn't do a thing compared to the treadmill.  Also the stair stepper is definetly less effective in my mind.

What can you guys suggest for cardio that would be equivelant to the above workout? ???

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Cardio for shin splints
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »
God I couldn't imagine going that fast.  I do 2.0 mph at 10 degrees with long strides.  The last 5 minutes I go to 15 degress.  I usually do 20 minutes before training and 20 minutes after training.  The way I am training now I am getting allot of cardio working out.  We do allot in just an hour or less.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:28:36 AM »
My problem is that I rest longer than i should in order to recuperate 100% for the next lift, so I don't get this benefit.  If you could, where would you rank the effectiveness of your method versus a straight shot jog for 30+ minutes? 

The walking would probably alleviate some shin paint though.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »
My current cardio is 30 minutes of 1% incline treadmill running @ 6.5 mph.  I have always used the treadmill because it has the nmost bang for the buck.  More recently my shins have begun acting up again.  I can't run more than 1 mile on hard surfaces without stopping.  I have relatively new nike running shoes, and wear relatively thick socks.
I feel like the elliptical doesn't do a thing compared to the treadmill.  Also the stair stepper is definetly less effective in my mind.
What can you guys suggest for cardio that would be equivelant to the above workout? ???

What are you trying to accomplish with cardio?  Mostly burning calories/fat?
Try 20 mins of intervals.  There's many different ways to do them.  I like doing the old BFL style blitz.  On a scale of 1-10 figure out what YOUR 5 is (10 would be running for your life - you got no more in ya).  Go for 2 full mins at your level 5.  Then for the next min take it to a 6, then 7, then 8, then 9, then back down to 6.... Then, at the 19th minute take it to a 10 - for one minute, then back down to a 5.
Minute        Level
1                 5
2                 5
3                 6
4                 7
5                 8
6                 9
7                 6
8                 7
9                 8
10               9
11               6
12               7
13               8
14               9
15               6
16               7
17               8
18               9
19              10
20              5
Shin splints is an overuse injury and can be caused by running on hard surfaces or running on tip toes.  Try to focus on pushing thru the heels.  Some people find it helpful to add heel walks to their workout.  If you to pronate then you are also more susceptible to shin splints.  If you do have a tendency to pronate, then you probably have other issues you're not even aware of, such as in the hips, hams or glutes....

:

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 12:22:16 PM »
WOW Thanks for that detailed account!  :D

My problem though has become that i can't reach minute 12-15 at the moderate pace I use.  I don't think I could jog/sprint for 20 minutes especially at this increased rate.  i can however try the other points you mentioned and see if thats the problem.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
Having had the same problem, I'd suggest first trying a much higher incline, which changes the angle and effect on the shins. Another alternative if that doesn't work, is to walk very fast, nearly the point of jogging while still walking, again using a high incline. Good cardio but does not create the same impact on the feet.

Disagree on the stepper though-If good-sized steps are used, its very effective if 20-30 minutes at higher intensities is done. Also disagree on the elliptical-if a machine like a Precor that can adjust to considerable incline's used with real intensity for 20-30 minutes, it's excellent. Also feels less like work than most other alternatives, even when the work's still being done, which is why they're popular.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 01:41:35 PM »
Thanks pumpster, I've never tried inclining the eliliptical!   :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »
Thanks pumpster, I've never tried inclining the eliliptical!   :D

BTW - the 20 min blitz can be applied to anything, so you might wanna try it on the eliptical.
:

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
I tried the ONLYME method today, and I have to it worked well.  I did 15 min on the stair stepper pre-workout then 20 minutes post workout.   I was sweating the whole workout after the pre workout priming. 

I'll try the elliptical 20 min blitz next cardio workout !  Thanks all. 8)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:35:24 PM »
They have shoes for shin splints too. They are elevated in the toe area to make you walk less on your toes.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »
[I feel like the elliptical doesn't do a thing compared to the treadmill.  Also the stair stepper is definetly less effective in my mind.]

Nope, guess again-- Try doing the elliptical for 5 min warmup ---then one minute as fast as possible with arms pumping, then rest 1 min, then go hard then rest etc. I try to get over 100 rpm on the fast minutes.
Even at level 2 or 4 on manual that will really burn your quads and give your heart a great workout. I can run long distances, but that type of effort definitely gets the job done in less time.

Also, try icing your shins after you run even if they don't hurt you as a preventative measure until you get back over this hump!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »
one minute as fast as possible with arms pumping, then rest 1 min, then go hard then rest etc
Rigorous intervals on elliptical, stairs, rowing machine, skier or bike (spinning) are tremendous.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »
I'll try to acheive the higher RPM range and see if how it feels next.  I've since tried a cardio circuit of sorts, and it didn't feel as effective as a fast jog/run on the treadmill....but perhaps I need to up the intensity