Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 136431 times)

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2023, 10:30:06 AM »
Joe - " Come back in 81' ,  Arnold will be gone for good, Dickerson doesn't have the arms to beat you and franco doesn't have the legs ....is no brainer ,we'll make a film call "Redemption" .

Mike - what about Platz and Padilla?"

Joe - Unlike you, they didn't even make the top 6 this year "

Mike .... ' Nah, I was robbed by Arnold in Sydney ....  I'm done with this shit  !"

WooooSHHHHHHHHHH

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2023, 02:46:04 PM »
Arnold - " shit Roger still staring at me "

Franco ' "just ignore him "

WooSSHHHHHHHHHHH   10/4/80

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2023, 05:03:29 AM »
I said it before. Arnold was 80% of his peak but even with that when I watch the film I have him winning. Mentzer looked great but he was fifth. He deserved fifth. Roy Callender was ripped off. Dickerson deserved second. His density was on another level. Zane even though he came in super light at 183 lbs looked incredible. He sliced his dick up on a sharp edge on pool lounge chair tanning. He said that hampered his prep while he healed but he still looked fantastic.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2023, 06:24:58 AM »
Exactly. Arnold did NOT look like Arnold. BUT was still better than these guys. He was NOT leaps and bounds better like he normally was but still better. Zane is one guy who when standing alone has the perfect body. ( he was too small this year though)  A statue. Just great. BUT when he stands besides others he looks like a swimmer or a tri athlete or something.  Mentzer is almost the same. He looks good when alone but thats it really. Dickerson really has no reason to be on the stage .   He was ok but just not Mr Olympia material.  no real balance in body parts. Odd shaped. Back then they looked like real bodybuilders. These ass clowns nowdays look like 10 pounds of smashed assholes shoved into a 5 lb bucket.  They all look the same. Back then you could tell who was who by their bodies Not now. Same drugs same training same food and more of the same drugs . No one does anything different.  I liked the old school shows. Maybe up to 10 guys in a contest. Only a few shows a year and they all trained to be big cut proportioned and balanced. They could walk around the block without gasping for air. They didn't carry food with them. Or worry about "macros" or the "anabolic window "  smh.   They trained hard long and often. Ate when they could. slept well tanned and all hung out together.  What happened !!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #504 on: August 16, 2023, 09:06:26 AM »
I said it before. Arnold was 80% of his peak but even with that when I watch the film I have him winning. Mentzer looked great but he was fifth. He deserved fifth. Roy Callender was ripped off. Dickerson deserved second. His density was on another level. Zane even though he came in super light at 183 lbs looked incredible. He sliced his dick up on a sharp edge on pool lounge chair tanning. He said that hampered his prep while he healed but he still looked fantastic.
Agreed,,,tinerino was no slouch either..

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Quote from Bill Pearl from "Arnold schwarzenegger the life of a legend"

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2023, 09:43:46 AM »

Wow … Are you sure it wasn’t Platz who said that ?

Mentzer always said that he came in to defense to Boyers regarding Arnold’s requests,insults and arrogance … he even approached Arnold aggressively and Arnold sat down quiet looking the other way. 

We definitely need Banout , Boyer and /or Zane to join this thread

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2023, 10:36:15 AM »

He broke the man

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2023, 10:36:21 AM »
Nope, 100% Pearl, in another excerpt he said Arnold came looking for him the day after the O as he was told Pearl was bad mouthing him.
Pearl said no Arnold, i just said you're the most ferocious competitor I've ever seen. Arnold said that's good then and that was that.

Wow … Are you sure it wasn’t Platz who said that ?

Mentzer always said that he came in to defense to Boyers regarding Arnold’s requests,insults and arrogance … he even approached Arnold aggressively and Arnold sat down quiet looking the other way. 

We definitely need Banout , Boyer and /or Zane to join this thread

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2023, 10:37:45 AM »
Zane even though he came in super light at 183 lbs looked incredible. He sliced his dick up on a sharp edge on pool lounge chair tanning. He said that hampered his prep while he healed but he still looked fantastic.

That’s the oldest excuse in the book

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »
 ;D One year bro

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2023, 01:34:20 PM »
Guy was way smaller than Arnold with a thick stomach in comparison, deluded.
;D One year bro

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #512 on: August 17, 2023, 05:29:29 AM »
According to Platz himself

Mentzer was on his way to be the golden child of bodybuilding  in the 80's

The Sandow was meant to be Mike Mentzer's in 1981 had he moved on from 1980

Being beaten by Arnold eventually killed him.   

Thats saying much from someone who is considered the uncrowned 81' Mr.O

[/youtube]

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHH  Oct 4th 1980

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #513 on: August 18, 2023, 05:02:48 AM »
Arms / Misc

TRI

JM Press - 4 sets
Incline Nose Breakers - 4 sets
Dips / Cable Pushdown (supersets) - 4 sets

BI

Seated D-Bell Curls - 4 sets
Hammer-Preacher Curls - 4 sets

Misc - Shoulder Press Machine - 4 sets

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #514 on: August 18, 2023, 07:00:49 AM »
According to Platz himself

Mentzer was on his way to be the golden child of bodybuilding  in the 80's

The Sandow was meant to be Mike Mentzer's in 1981 had he moved on from 1980

Being beaten by Arnold eventually killed him.   

Thats saying much from someone who is considered the uncrowned 81' Mr.O

[/youtube]

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHH  Oct 4th 1980

I noticed Platz has been fairly disparaging of Arnold lately.  LOL. After years of kissing Arnolds ass and being the biggest brown noser ever Platz has realized he's in the final stretch of his life and it never paid off. All the ass kissing and sucking up. He probably burned alot of bridges with his WBF involvement.  He tried acting and had two bit parts in a few obscure movies. So now he's got his schtick training people like he used to train and trying to generate some relevance by bad mouthing Arnold now? When everyone already knows Arnold was always out for himself? Haha. Lame.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #515 on: August 18, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
I noticed Platz has been fairly disparaging of Arnold lately.  LOL. After years of kissing Arnolds ass and being the biggest brown noser ever Platz has realized he's in the final stretch of his life and it never paid off. All the ass kissing and sucking up. He probably burned alot of bridges with his WBF involvement.  He tried acting and had two bit parts in a few obscure movies. So now he's got his schtick training people like he used to train and trying to generate some relevance by bad mouthing Arnold now? When everyone already knows Arnold was always out for himself? Haha. Lame.

Platz is really much of a bullshitter as old meth head was. Out to sell a gimmick. Most of the time he never squated ass to grass. He only did that occasionally. Most of the time he went to parallel. Just ask Lee Priest who had trained with Platz numerous of times.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »
 ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2023, 04:00:58 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2023, 04:09:12 PM »
Mentzer said something derogatory to Arnold which I don’t remember, and Arnold replied, “You didn’t win Olympia last year because your waist was hanging way out, and you won’t win it this year for the same reason.” With that Mentzer lunged at Arnold and several of the officials including Bill Pearl broke it up.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2023, 04:50:00 PM »
Fun fact: the Odor Eaters giant foot mascot from Kingpin looks like Mike Menzter

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #520 on: August 30, 2023, 12:29:44 AM »
^ Munson had a better ending to his story.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #521 on: August 30, 2023, 01:14:50 AM »
Mike always insisted the 80 Olympia was fixed. I believe he has a point. After the contest I was given all the judges' score sheets so could do an analysis of it. The big problem with the judging method was the foolish idea of scoring each round. Ben Weider had hoped to have this contest in the Olympic games so adapted a system of judging resembling diving, ice skating and gymnastics. Disaster occurred because they did not standardize the scores for each round. After the first round the scores should have been collected then a score given so that there was room for a higher score. They didn't do this and in all the rounds too many competitors received a 20 out of 20 score. In effect those scores did not separate the men. Multiply this error by 3 and the results are not accurate. The judges who did separate the men had their scores count for more.

A more important revelation was made by John Fair in an article. (link below) Paul Graham promoted the Olympia that year. They were room mates in Los Angeles in late 1968 and early 1969. Paul was arrested on January 29, 1969 in Honolulu by the FBI for sending stolen cars from LA to Australia. Arnold states in Total Recall, that he made some money driving cars to a dock in Los Angeles that were destined for Australia. Paul took the rap himself and spend over 2 years in a California prison. So Paul and Arnold were close. Randy Roach, 'Muscles, Smoke and Mirrors', believes Arnold did not enter until he knew he had the majority of judges who would place him first. Here is where I made an error when writing about the contest. I was standing in the foyer of the Sydney Opera House just before the prejudging. I was with Frank Burwash and Peter McCarthy. Someone came up to Pete and told him the judges meeting has already started. Peter swore and raced off but was told since he missed part of the meeting he was replaced by another judge but he could judge as a spare. Brendan Ryan, who won a Junior Mr Australia contest was a judge. I assumed Paul replaced Peter with Brendan. Nope, Brendan was already selected to judge. Peter was replaced by Dr Michael Walczak. Four of the judges placed Arnold first. Reg Park, Brendan Ryan, Albert Busek, and Mits Kowashima. Walczak placed Dennis Tinerino first and Arnold second. He placed Dickerson 8th. Jacques Blommaert and Dan Howard placed Dickerson first. Arnold was a good friend of Howard's but Dan didn't let that affect his score. There you have it, before the contest Arnold believed that 5 out of the 7 judges would vote for him. 4 did and that was sufficient to win.

Article on the 80 Olympia by John Fair:       https://starkcenter.org/igh_article/igh1101p04/

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #522 on: August 30, 2023, 01:33:41 AM »
Mike always insisted the 80 Olympia was fixed. I believe he has a point. After the contest I was given all the judges' score sheets so could do an analysis of it. The big problem with the judging method was the foolish idea of scoring each round. Ben Weider had hoped to have this contest in the Olympic games so adapted a system of judging resembling diving, ice skating and gymnastics. Disaster occurred because they did not standardize the scores for each round. After the first round the scores should have been collected then a score given so that there was room for a higher score. They didn't do this and in all the rounds too many competitors received a 20 out of 20 score. In effect those scores did not separate the men. Multiply this error by 3 and the results are not accurate. The judges who did separate the men had their scores count for more.

A more important revelation was made by John Fair in an article. (link below) Paul Graham promoted the Olympia that year. They were room mates in Los Angeles in late 1968 and early 1969. Paul was arrested on January 29, 1969 in Honolulu by the FBI for sending stolen cars from LA to Australia. Arnold states in Total Recall, that he made some money driving cars to a dock in Los Angeles that were destined for Australia. Paul took the rap himself and spend over 2 years in a California prison. So Paul and Arnold were close. Randy Roach, 'Muscles, Smoke and Mirrors', believes Arnold did not enter until he knew he had the majority of judges who would place him first. Here is where I made an error when writing about the contest. I was standing in the foyer of the Sydney Opera House just before the prejudging. I was with Frank Burwash and Peter McCarthy. Someone came up to Pete and told him the judges meeting has already started. Peter swore and raced off but was told since he missed part of the meeting he was replaced by another judge but he could judge as a spare. Brendan Ryan, who won a Junior Mr Australia contest was a judge. I assumed Paul replaced Peter with Brendan. Nope, Brendan was already selected to judge. Peter was replaced by Dr Michael Walczak. Four of the judges placed Arnold first. Reg Park, Brendan Ryan, Albert Busek, and Mits Kowashima. Walczak placed Dennis Tinerino first and Arnold second. He placed Dickerson 8th. Jacques Blommaert and Dan Howard placed Dickerson first. Arnold was a good friend of Howard's but Dan didn't let that affect his score. There you have it, before the contest Arnold believed that 5 out of the 7 judges would vote for him. 4 did and that was sufficient to win.

Article on the 80 Olympia by John Fair:       https://starkcenter.org/igh_article/igh1101p04/

Yeah & they also fixed it so the Queer Chimp would place 2nd & Mike would place 5  ::)

Yes all the judges were in on the screwing over of Mike  :o

Do you really believe that - or Maybe No one had an overall Better physique
Than Arnold - others had better body parts yet lacked else where.

And how the hell did that judge get Dennis in 1st place - why aren't you
questioning that ??

Arnold won - End of.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #523 on: August 30, 2023, 04:13:51 AM »

Yup...Paul Graham covered Arnold`s ASS in more ways than one !!   :D

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #524 on: August 30, 2023, 06:08:17 AM »
^ Munson had a better ending to his story.

Menzter got munsoned!