Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 136480 times)

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
Re: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage
« Reply #550 on: September 01, 2023, 08:36:46 AM »
 8)

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #551 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:34 AM »
Arnold destroying them stood relaxed there and that's without posing.
How Dickerson was ever Mr O still baffles me.
Fact is arnold came back and they had nothing on him, he looks superior, bigger and more pop in all the main poses, everyone disappeared from the side next to him, even his lat spread actually made the second biggest guys, walkers look not so big.
8)

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #552 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
Arnold destroying them stood relaxed there and that's without posing.
How Dickerson was ever Mr O still baffles me.
Fact is arnold came back and they had nothing on him, he looks superior, bigger and more pop in all the main poses, everyone disappeared from the side next to him, even his lat spread actually made the second biggest guys, walkers look not so big.

;D :D 
Arnold was blowing Paul & the other schmoe old men

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »
Poor old Zane. First he broke his penis, then he broke his trophy. Mike Mentzer lost the 80 Olympia then later lost the will to live.

There are others even less fortunate.  Angry little men who live with regret. 43 years later, still angry at themselves for having listened to the wrong advices. Their only recourse is to, impotently, jab at the Austrian Oak, posting endlessly on internet forums, attempting to detract from Arnold's accomplishments,  not having any of their own to focus on instead. Waging a never ending war against reality.  Looking in the mirror each morning telling themselves that Arnold stole the 80 Olympia. They cannot come to a consensus on who should've won; they only know that it shouldn't have been Arnold. These people live an empty existence, knowing the lies they tell themselves carry about as much weight as Rocky telling Mick he won the first match against Clubber Laing. Only, unlike Mick, these little men must go on living, knowing the truth.

Their inability to cope makes you wonder: would they trade in the last years of their lives if it would produce total consciousness on their deathbed? To no longer be haunted, daily, by the thought of Arnold's victory propelling him into a superstardom beyond their wildest imagination? Knowing the thoroughly uninspred existence that would come to define their own legacy?

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #554 on: September 01, 2023, 10:41:03 AM »
Mike always insisted the 80 Olympia was fixed. I believe he has a point. After the contest I was given all the judges' score sheets so could do an analysis of it. The big problem with the judging method was the foolish idea of scoring each round. Ben Weider had hoped to have this contest in the Olympic games so adapted a system of judging resembling diving, ice skating and gymnastics. Disaster occurred because they did not standardize the scores for each round. After the first round the scores should have been collected then a score given so that there was room for a higher score. They didn't do this and in all the rounds too many competitors received a 20 out of 20 score. In effect those scores did not separate the men. Multiply this error by 3 and the results are not accurate. The judges who did separate the men had their scores count for more.

A more important revelation was made by John Fair in an article. (link below) Paul Graham promoted the Olympia that year. They were room mates in Los Angeles in late 1968 and early 1969. Paul was arrested on January 29, 1969 in Honolulu by the FBI for sending stolen cars from LA to Australia. Arnold states in Total Recall, that he made some money driving cars to a dock in Los Angeles that were destined for Australia. Paul took the rap himself and spend over 2 years in a California prison. So Paul and Arnold were close. Randy Roach, 'Muscles, Smoke and Mirrors', believes Arnold did not enter until he knew he had the majority of judges who would place him first. Here is where I made an error when writing about the contest. I was standing in the foyer of the Sydney Opera House just before the prejudging. I was with Frank Burwash and Peter McCarthy. Someone came up to Pete and told him the judges meeting has already started. Peter swore and raced off but was told since he missed part of the meeting he was replaced by another judge but he could judge as a spare. Brendan Ryan, who won a Junior Mr Australia contest was a judge. I assumed Paul replaced Peter with Brendan. Nope, Brendan was already selected to judge. Peter was replaced by Dr Michael Walczak. Four of the judges placed Arnold first. Reg Park, Brendan Ryan, Albert Busek, and Mits Kowashima. Walczak placed Dennis Tinerino first and Arnold second. He placed Dickerson 8th. Jacques Blommaert and Dan Howard placed Dickerson first. Arnold was a good friend of Howard's but Dan didn't let that affect his score. There you have it, before the contest Arnold believed that 5 out of the 7 judges would vote for him. 4 did and that was sufficient to win.

Article on the 80 Olympia by John Fair:       https://starkcenter.org/igh_article/igh1101p04/

Mostly bs.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #555 on: September 01, 2023, 10:43:39 AM »
I took the best photos at the prejudging at the 80 Olympia. A year earlier there was a pro bodybuilding contest there and I calculated where the best seat would be to take photos. So I selected a seat at waist level to the competitors on stage and of course in the middle of the Opera House. I had a sturdy tripod and an excellent camera with very good telephoto lenses. I took 360 black and white photos of the judging. At night I took colour slides. Here is an edited photo of 4 of the competitors. I removed all the background distractions.

Yeah and Arnold still looks the best.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #556 on: September 01, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »
Mentzer said something derogatory to Arnold which I don’t remember, and Arnold replied, “You didn’t win Olympia last year because your waist was hanging way out, and you won’t win it this year for the same reason.” With that Mentzer lunged at Arnold and several of the officials including Bill Pearl broke it up.

Too short. No back development and too much fat in the glutes. He really thought he was going to win. 😀😃😄😁😆😅🤣😂

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2023, 10:47:59 AM »
When I saw this photo it told the story of the shape Arnold was in. This was the first call out for comparisons and Arnold wasn't in this group. There he is with his head down wondering why he entered the contest. Mike is smiling because he felt the call out meant those guys placed ahead of Arnold. That wasn't to be and when Arnold was called in later groups he rose to the occasion and stole the show.

More fool old meth head. 🤣

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #558 on: September 01, 2023, 10:59:31 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #559 on: September 01, 2023, 11:18:03 AM »
Arnold won at just 80% of his best. Mentzer was a sick, weak, mentally ill guy in his 40's.  He looked like he could barely walk and picking up a 45lbs plate was a chore for him. Some say it was this contest that ruined him but my view it was his meth drug use and smoking.  Zane is always quick to say he beat Arnold. When was that? 1969?  Roy Callender looked amazing but was always over looked. Very little Weider coverage for him but he was just as good as Robby.  Dickerson for a period in his long contest history for three years looked incredible. I think behind scene knowledge of his gay films that were out there kept him from winning the big one until they couldn't deny him anymore. Coe looked amazing but deserved maybe to be switched out with Zane for third. Mentzer fans cry foul but he came in fifth. No he didn't come in second, third or fourth.

Think Arnold sitting in his various mansions thinking about the 1980 Olympia?  Have you seen his spread in Austria? 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #560 on: September 01, 2023, 01:33:00 PM »
i like zanes read/take  on the show interesting,,,at the end of the day arnold whipped himself into almost arnold 'shape'in quick time and with modern for that time condition..

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #561 on: September 01, 2023, 01:36:07 PM »
Arnold won at just 80% of his best. Mentzer was a sick, weak, mentally ill guy in his 40's.  He looked like he could barely walk and picking up a 45lbs plate was a chore for him. Some say it was this contest that ruined him but my view it was his meth drug use and smoking.  Zane is always quick to say he beat Arnold. When was that? 1969?  Roy Callender looked amazing but was always over looked. Very little Weider coverage for him but he was just as good as Robby.  Dickerson for a period in his long contest history for three years looked incredible. I think behind scene knowledge of his gay films that were out there kept him from winning the big one until they couldn't deny him anymore. Coe looked amazing but deserved maybe to be switched out with Zane for third. Mentzer fans cry foul but he came in fifth. No he didn't come in second, third or fourth.

Think Arnold sitting in his various mansions thinking about the 1980 Olympia?  Have you seen his spread in Austria?

Or maybe he caved and sucked the judges dicks...

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #562 on: September 01, 2023, 05:17:50 PM »
Yea, that's pretty embarrassing for the others.
i like zanes read/take  on the show interesting,,,at the end of the day arnold whipped himself into almost arnold 'shape'in quick time and with modern for that time condition..

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2023, 01:11:40 AM »
Poor old Zane. First he broke his penis, then he broke his trophy. Mike Mentzer lost the 80 Olympia then later lost the will to live.

There are others even less fortunate.  Angry little men who live with regret. 43 years later, still angry at themselves for having listened to the wrong advices. Their only recourse is to, impotently, jab at the Austrian Oak, posting endlessly on internet forums, attempting to detract from Arnold's accomplishments,  not having any of their own to focus on instead. Waging a never ending war against reality.  Looking in the mirror each morning telling themselves that Arnold stole the 80 Olympia. They cannot come to a consensus on who should've won; they only know that it shouldn't have been Arnold. These people live an empty existence, knowing the lies they tell themselves carry about as much weight as Rocky telling Mick he won the first match against Clubber Laing. Only, unlike Mick, these little men must go on living, knowing the truth.

Their inability to cope makes you wonder: would they trade in the last years of their lives if it would produce total consciousness on their deathbed? To no longer be haunted, daily, by the thought of Arnold's victory propelling him into a superstardom beyond their wildest imagination? Knowing the thoroughly uninspred existence that would come to define their own legacy?
Arnold used bodybuilding to springboard him into real estate, Hollywood and politics. His drive was for much more than just bodybuilding. Even had Mentzer won the Olympia he never would have achieved anything beyond that. Zane, Dickerson and the rest won the O and never went any further.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2023, 02:17:43 AM »
Reading through "Arnold the life of a legend" Barbara Outland said Arnold told her in 1969 he'd be governor of california. That's vision, drive and determination, everything he's wanted he's achieved while others stand by whining about what they can't do etc.

Arnold used bodybuilding to springboard him into real estate, Hollywood and politics. His drive was for much more than just bodybuilding. Even had Mentzer won the Olympia he never would have achieved anything beyond that. Zane, Dickerson and the rest won the O and never went any further.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #565 on: September 02, 2023, 02:36:52 AM »
Or maybe he caved and sucked the judges dicks...
Arnold took cock & it´s well known ..no one talks about it or wants to hear it but it´s true.
he sold his ass for fame & fortune.

one story was that he was with some others & they needed some dough..Arnold just said wait here & he visited an old schmoe´s mansion ..came back with money to buy all the food..etc.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #566 on: September 02, 2023, 02:38:59 AM »
Hell...old Joe gave Arnold his wrinkly old cock... :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #567 on: September 02, 2023, 03:23:20 AM »
^^^^You are ignoring this loser.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2023, 10:54:22 PM »

Exactly. They either become personal trainers or move on to become regular Joe's. 😃

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2023, 12:33:29 AM »
Reading through "Arnold the life of a legend" Barbara Outland said Arnold told her in 1969 he'd be governor of california. That's vision, drive and determination, everything he's wanted he's achieved while others stand by whining about what they can't do etc.
Polar opposite of Mentzer.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2023, 10:06:07 AM »
Polar opposite of Mentzer.

Mentzer was a menace to Weider empire . At the time Mentzer was a favorite to win the Olympia and his Heavy Duty training was gaining popularity too fast within the industry…
Trashing Arnold’s  training methods in his seminars was a direct attack to the so called “ Weider principles “ as well. 

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »
Mentzer was a menace to Weider empire . At the time Mentzer was a favorite to win the Olympia and his Heavy Duty training was gaining popularity too fast within the industry…
Trashing Arnold’s  training methods in his seminars was a direct attack to the so called “ Weider principles “ as well.

Complete conspiracy crap. Weider had methzer writing for his magazine espousing all his HIT nonsense. methzer was NEVER a threat to either Arnold or Weider. Hit is no secret. Many books, articles and vids have been made about it. The real reason it never took off is because it simply does not work.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #572 on: September 04, 2023, 12:30:42 AM »
Complete conspiracy crap. Weider had methzer writing for his magazine espousing all his HIT nonsense. methzer was NEVER a threat to either Arnold or Weider. Hit is no secret. Many books, articles and vids have been made about it. The real reason it never took off is because it simply does not work.
It took a longtime for people to figure that. Many still haven't.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #573 on: September 04, 2023, 03:19:07 AM »
It took a longtime for people to figure that. Many still haven't.

I can't see why. It's obvious. No top athlete or serious trainer uses meth head's methods. 5 decades of this hit guff and it has failed to deliver. It has had more than enough time to prove itself.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #574 on: September 05, 2023, 12:06:11 AM »
I can't see why. It's obvious. No top athlete or serious trainer uses meth head's methods. 5 decades of this hit guff and it has failed to deliver. It has had more than enough time to prove itself.
His cult of personality blinds them to the actual results of the training.