Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 136447 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage
« Reply #725 on: October 05, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
Arnold won. Get over it. It's 2023.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #726 on: October 05, 2023, 11:07:17 AM »
Exactly. Even Cbs have never confirmed it.

That's what I thought too but the pic of Pearl in a suit holding a microphone that has the CBS logo on it. Still have no idea how that works. There's been demand for it for years. Perhaps it was planned but crew never went? Or something else bumped it off the TV schedule? Who can say why it was not aired ? As the promoter of the show I would imagine that Paul Graham would've been I volved in some way. And he was just a puppet promoter for Arnold. Maybe Arnold himself thought 'I can't let this be aired on TV. There's boos in the audience,  I look like shit compared to my previous shape. This could damage my movie career.' Who knows? But the thought that CBS executives gave a shit about "controversy" or made decisions based on what Boyer Coe or MM or Zane had to say? Baldetdash!

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #727 on: October 05, 2023, 11:17:38 AM »
That's what I thought too but the pic of Pearl in a suit holding a microphone that has the CBS logo on it. Still have no idea how that works. There's been demand for it for years. Perhaps it was planned but crew never went? Or something else bumped it off the TV schedule? Who can say why it was not aired ? As the promoter of the show I would imagine that Paul Graham would've been I volved in some way. And he was just a puppet promoter for Arnold. Maybe Arnold himself thought 'I can't let this be aired on TV. There's boos in the audience,  I look like shit compared to my previous shape. This could damage my movie career.' Who knows? But the thought that CBS executives gave a shit about "controversy" or made decisions based on what Boyer Coe or MM or Zane had to say? Baldetdash!

No cbs logo on that camera. But everything else is spot on. Although the idea that Arnold didn't want it to be aired is void since the photos of the olympia would be published and the fact that he made the short film Total Rebuild centring around his 1980 comeback I don't think Arnold had any issues with his appearance.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #728 on: October 05, 2023, 12:56:00 PM »
No need to not like his appearance, apart from his quads being slender in some shots he looked great, lean, dry and vascular.
No cbs logo on that camera. But everything else is spot on. Although the idea that Arnold didn't want it to be aired is void since the photos of the olympia would be published and the fact that he made the short film Total Rebuild centring around his 1980 comeback I don't think Arnold had any issues with his appearance.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #729 on: October 05, 2023, 02:38:20 PM »
There's no way was this can air on national tv!? What Arnold dwarfing Coe himself and everyone else for that matter, schooling them  at only 80%.
Why would a perfect reaction need to be broadcast anyway, it would have no effect on viewership or ratings or piss off the average person watching at home.
Ive heard the booing going on for ages and drowing out cheers was bullshit anyway, there were boos but plenty of cheers too.
Yea there was a film crew there making "the comeback" or "total rebuild".

Lol After some research" I think Boyer meant that when he actually sat down and got to see the UNEDITTED footage, the loud booing when Arnold was announced the winner was evident .... also, Bill Pearl interviewed top contestants giving their impressions back stage regarding  the results and basically, they were trashing the Judges and Arnolds shape lol .......you could even hear the crowd still booing at that point ....

Remember, Arnold wanted to use his comeback victory to promote his image for the Conan movie , but that footage alone on national tv was probably do the opposite had it air as taped....  same for Weider and IFBB image.

Judging from CBS film ,for some stranger reason Roger walker and Dickerson seemed more dense and were crowd favorites at that point the crew even followed them more than Arnold himself .... As Arnold was looking like a 3rd place finisher

So It looks like Arnold and friends agreed to keep the footage "for free" to release it at some point during the Conan premier (18 months  later?) ....  but Arnold knew better.  ;D

WoooSSHHHHHHHHHHHH  Barracuda Mode

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #730 on: October 05, 2023, 04:37:38 PM »
Lol After some research" I think Boyer meant that when he actually sat down and got to see the UNEDITTED footage, the loud booing when Arnold was announced the winner was evident .... also, Bill Pearl interviewed top contestants giving their impressions back stage regarding  the results and basically, they were trashing the Judges and Arnolds shape lol .......you could even hear the crowd still booing at that point ....

Remember, Arnold wanted to use his comeback victory to promote his image for the Conan movie , but that footage alone on national tv was probably do the opposite had it air as taped....  same for Weider and IFBB image.

Judging from CBS film ,for some stranger reason Roger walker and Dickerson seemed more dense and were crowd favorites at that point the crew even followed them more than Arnold himself .... As Arnold was looking like a 3rd place finisher

So It looks like Arnold and friends agreed to keep the footage "for free" to release it at some point during the Conan premier (18 months  later?) ....  but Arnold knew better.  ;D

WoooSSHHHHHHHHHHHH  Barracuda Mode

Yeah you're making it all up now.

Sandrock

• Getbig III
  • Born with a mustache in a Supernova
« Reply #731 on: October 05, 2023, 04:52:19 PM »

Might be the CBS logo on the mic that Bill Pearl is holding.

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #732 on: October 05, 2023, 10:37:14 PM »
Like I always said, Dickerson should have won
Olympia 80 & 81 but not 82.
His density and back (+legs&calves) were unmatched.
$

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #733 on: October 06, 2023, 12:29:41 AM »
Like I always said, Dickerson should have won
Olympia 80 & 81 but not 82.
His density and back (+legs&calves) were unmatched.
No way. He looked like a flea next to Arnold.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #734 on: October 06, 2023, 12:49:44 AM »
A droopy lopsided flea. Arnold looked better in the mandatories and they all disappeared from the side compared to him.
No way. He looked like a flea next to Arnold.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #735 on: October 06, 2023, 12:53:25 AM »
A droopy lopsided flea. Arnold looked better in the mandatories and they all disappeared from the side compared to him.
Dickerson was lucky to win in '82.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #736 on: October 06, 2023, 05:53:13 AM »
So who really knows or can confirm CBS presence? I see plenty online regarding yet not one photo of them ever being there. None of the TV crews nor the cameras have any identifying CBS logos that would otherwise be present

Hope this helps

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   Oct 4th 1980

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #737 on: October 06, 2023, 06:58:31 AM »
Ok, I see that now. Never saw this picture before or noticed the mic
h

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #738 on: October 14, 2023, 12:31:00 PM »
Cbs were never there.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #739 on: October 15, 2023, 12:55:18 AM »
Cbs were never there.
Obviously, CBS was there.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #740 on: October 15, 2023, 10:13:31 AM »

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #741 on: October 15, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »
Vincent Basil was there, he can confirm...

MajorDomo

• Getbig III
  • I'm here to chew bubblegum
« Reply #742 on: October 15, 2023, 11:54:56 AM »
This was one heck of an Olympia- still talking about it 43 years later lol

kevin25

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #743 on: October 15, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
In 43 years, it will still be discussed on Getbig  ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #744 on: October 16, 2023, 12:56:40 AM »
In 43 years, it will still be discussed on Getbig  ;D
We will all be dead.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2023, 05:42:08 AM »

WHO SHOULD HAVE WON THE 1980 MR OLYMPIA CONTEST?

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #746 on: October 16, 2023, 09:03:26 AM »
We will all be dead.

I'm priming my son to carry the torch.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #747 on: October 16, 2023, 09:22:09 AM »

Arnold won. Case closed. The hit cult can shove it sideways.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #748 on: October 17, 2023, 12:08:22 AM »
I'm priming my son to carry the torch.
For Getbig or the Olympia?

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #749 on: October 17, 2023, 05:45:36 AM »

Great editing job, who did this ? a Mentzer/Getbigger ?

Just in this thread alone you can find interviews/audio of Padilla saying Arnold won  despite not being 100 %

Tinerino had a great point of why this is the most controversial Olympia

Never mind Arnolds shape; Any pro bodybuilder would have felt disrespected the way Arnold entered the show, treated fellow competitors and didn't listen to the judges while posing .

I still think Arnold was the best on stage though
but ,   can you name a MrOlympia winner that regrets winning a particular sandow ?

In his Netflix Bio series , Arnold did not mention the 1980 Olympia , So basically mainstream audiences think he was done with bodybuilding after winning O 1975 in Africa ,  that tells you right there something is off. like he wants to erase that chapter of his life, At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Arnold believes he didn't compete in Australia 1980.lol

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH  Oct.4th 1980