Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 136614 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2022, 06:21:57 AM »
8)

That last shot of Zane reminded me another shot I saw long, long ago...🤔
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »
42 fucking years ago and people still think this shit is relevant. Arnold was gifted the win.

Funny thing is, just this week I saw a new podcast somewhere with John Hansen and Samir Bannout as guests, and Samir was adamant that he thought that about Arnold

It had plenty of views too, so maybe some people just like to retreat into history/nostalgia rather than face the shit-show going on in the World at the moment...?  I mean, I can be as guilty of avoiding the news some days as anyone - and I wear rose-tinted glasses, sonny...  ;D
T

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2022, 06:39:42 AM »
Funny thing is, just this week I saw a new podcast somewhere with John Hansen and Samir Bannout as guests, and Samir was adamant that he thought that about Arnold

It had plenty of views too, so maybe some people just like to retreat into history/nostalgia rather than face the shit-show going on in the World at the moment...?  I mean, I can be as guilty of avoiding the news some days as anyone - and I wear rose-tinted glasses, sonny...  ;D

Funnier thing is that from 1980 to the year 2000 Samir said Arnold was the better man in Sidney despite not being 100% ...

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
That last shot of Zane reminded me another shot I saw long, long ago...🤔

Sure, if you use your bare eyes alone the guy on the right looks better. But according to the FFMI calculator the guy on the left looks way, way better.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
42 fucking years ago and people still think this shit is relevant. Arnold was gifted the win.

After this January 6th business is cleared up I expect a full blown inquiry into the events surrounding the 1980 Olympia.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2022, 05:35:57 PM »
After this January 6th business is cleared up I expect a full blown inquiry into the events surrounding the 1980 Olympia.

I've forgotten who Won - can you remind me & the Mentzer nut Huggers
Plz Who it Was.

:D ;D :D

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2022, 05:53:04 PM »

The US government has the January 6th committee.

Getbig has the August 6th committee.

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2022, 06:31:25 PM »
The US government has the January 6th committee.

Getbig has the August 6th committee.

Set it up! ;D
T

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2022, 11:27:18 PM »

;D Sitting at my dining room table at 11:30 at night giggling. 

a

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2022, 01:45:51 AM »
Did he really !! WTF - That must've Made Him more mentally unstable
Why Didn't uncle Joe help him out ?
I read it here on Getbig a few years ago. I can't remember who it was who posted it.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
Bannout also mentioned how arnold wasn't the arnold of before, totally irrelevant and these guys don't seem to understand that

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2022, 10:25:13 AM »
Bannout also mentioned how arnold wasn't the arnold of before, totally irrelevant and these guys don't seem to understand that

Check out Wayne Gallasch Interview @49:20 about 1980 Mr Olympia...

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2022, 10:28:17 AM »
I read it here on Getbig a few years ago. I can't remember who it was who posted it.

I'm pretty sure Arnold offered to help....pay his rent or something.  I don't know that Mentzer asked him for help- that wouldn't be very 'Randian' of him to ask another man for a handout.  :D

But I remember just before Mikes death or maybe just after a story circulated where Arnold reached out to Mike when Ray went on dialysis and offered to help in some way.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure Arnold offered to help....pay his rent or something.  I don't know that Mentzer asked him for help- that wouldn't be very 'Randian' of him to ask another man for a handout.  :D

But I remember just before Mikes death or maybe just after a story circulated where Arnold reached out to Mike when Ray went on dialysis and offered to help in some way.

If True - That was very magnanimous of Arnold
And show's he was the Bigger / Better Man.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »
I'm sure it was Ray who said Arnold reached out to help him.

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2022, 01:22:48 PM »

Q. Wait a second, Mike and Arnold? Everyone knows about controversial placing at 1980 Mr. Olympia. Did Mike and Arnold finally make peace?

A. A few months ago, Arnold's assistant emailed Mike with a message from Arnold. Arnold was concerned about Ray's health conditions and tried to offer help. For those of you who don't know, Ray had a severe kidney problem. Arnold even wanted to come over to Ray's apartment and offer help personally. At some point Mike spoke to Arnold over the phone and was very touched by Arnold's kindness and concerns. Despite differences of opinions in the past, Mike always stated that Arnold was the greatest bodybuilder of all time and his contributions to the sport are enormous. During the shoot Mike has told me that he would like to have a reunion with Arnold on this videotape.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/valinter.htm

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2022, 12:54:02 AM »
If True - That was very magnanimous of Arnold
And show's he was the Bigger / Better Man.
Or Arnold did it to prove he was superior. Remember at the Arnold Classic when Arnold asked Lou how his autograph signings were going? This was when he was governor of California and Lou was charging $20 for a picture. Arnold was actually trolling the Hell out of him.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2022, 03:14:41 AM »
Or Arnold did it to prove he was superior. Remember at the Arnold Classic when Arnold asked Lou how his autograph signings were going? This was when he was governor of California and Lou was charging $20 for a picture. Arnold was actually trolling the Hell out of him.

“DVDs?”

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2022, 04:09:54 AM »

Yeah could be - Only Not if he helped him Financially though.

have to say Superior or Not it still a Good Thing to Do.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2022, 05:46:34 AM »
Everyone that knows arnold says he's the most generous guy and loves to give back, he doesn't forget anyone on his journey upwards.  The persona back in the day was part of his drive to succeed but alot was also a persona to create controversy and attention to create his brand. For example we know he did actually go to his dads funeral.
From the books I've read Arnold always liked Lou but also knew he was never a threat in competition and knows he's very insecure. A comment from a few years back someone said to Arnold, lou says he's more muscular then you now. Arnold said well let him have that,  he needs that more than I do right now.
Regarding Mentzer he never hated him but found it easy to wind him up, where as Mike took everything so seriously Arnold would always see the funny side of what he's doing but while giving 100%. Plus he always had this mindset of moving forward, not regretting and not looking back.  Some people like Mentzer let things eat them up and destroy them.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2022, 06:43:00 AM »
“DVDs?”

Ha ha, that clip was so f'ing funny. Just trolls Lou so easily and big Louie just never even picked up on it.

Everyone that knows arnold says he's the most generous guy and loves to give back, he doesn't forget anyone on his journey upwards.  The persona back in the day was part of his drive to succeed but alot was also a persona to create controversy and attention to create his brand. For example we know he did actually go to his dads funeral.
From the books I've read Arnold always liked Lou but also knew he was never a threat in competition and knows he's very insecure. A comment from a few years back someone said to Arnold, lou says he's more muscular then you now. Arnold said well let him have that,  he needs that more than I do right now.
Regarding Mentzer he never hated him but found it easy to wind him up, where as Mike took everything so seriously Arnold would always see the funny side of what he's doing but while giving 100%. Plus he always had this mindset of moving forward, not regretting and not looking back.  Some people like Mentzer let things eat them up and destroy them.

Really good take.

Also the Gallaach interview posted above is probably the most objective analysis I've heard of 1980. A very realistic and reasonable take.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »
Ha ha, that clip was so f'ing funny. Just trolls Lou so easily and big Louie just never even picked up on it.

Really good take.

Also the Gallaach interview posted above is probably the most objective analysis I've heard of 1980. A very realistic and reasonable take.

Agreed, Gallaach analysis was interesting. 

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2022, 08:19:24 AM »
Yeah could be - Only Not if he helped him Financially though.

have to say Superior or Not it still a Good Thing to Do.

Exactly. 

If I recall correctly Ray himself told many of the bodybuilders close friends of the era. That Arnold was concerned and offered help. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2022, 01:26:55 AM »

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »

Really good take.

X2

Most competitors were saying that Arnold wasn't even top 5

However, Gallaach has a good point, not the same competing against Arnold and flexing next to him , than having the best seat on the audience and watch the entire contest unfold right in front of you.

WooooSHHHHHHHHHHHHH