Author Topic: Supreme Court to hear gay marriage cases in April  (Read 14680 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Supreme Court to hear gay marriage cases in April
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
On this, the majority strongly disagreed.

"The identification and protection of fundamental rights is an enduring part of the judicial duty to interpret the Constitution," said Justice Anthony Kennedy, who read the majority opinion. As for the court's role, he said:

"The dynamic of our constitutional system is that individuals need not await legislative action before asserting a fundamental right. The Nation's courts are open to injured individuals who come to them to vindicate their own direct, personal stake in our basic charter. An individual can invoke a right to constitutional protection when he or she is harmed, even if the broader public disagrees and even if the legislature refuses to act."

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
certainly plenty of biblical precedent for that so I assume you're all for it

BOOOOMM!!!

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
roberts is a left wing puppet now.  He and hilary will wreck what is left of the constitution and the borders.

all the john roberts puppets from a few years back...

Take a chill pill.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2015, 02:40:45 AM »
If God didn't destroy the US because of the genocide of the Native Americans or because of the slavery of the African children, then he really isn't going to give a shit about two people of the same sex marrying.

Religious idiots just need to get another brain cell and get over it.

Gays getting married is a SIN!!

Genocide and slavery is fine.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
So to all the idiots proclaiming they will move, or self immolate, or divorce their own spouses, or go to jail, etc...   

When does the festive actions take place?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2015, 07:59:53 PM »
He is a real piece of work. 

Obama: Americans need to shift religious views to accept gay marriage
June 27, 2015

After the Supreme Court issued its ruling on gay marriage Friday, President Obama gave a speech in which he said Americans need to change their religious views to be accepting of gay marriage, the Daily Caller reported. To that end, he encouraged gay marriage supporters to "help” people overcome their deeply-held religious views.

“I know that Americans of goodwill continue to hold a wide range of views on this issue,” he said. Initially, he exhibited a bit of respect for those who oppose same-sex marriage.

"Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” he said. “All of us who welcome today’s news should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom.”

"But today should also give us hope that on the many issues with which we grapple often painfully real change is possible,” he added. The implication was clear: Those who disagree with the idea of gay marriage based, for example, on their religious views, must change to be more like progressives who accept gay marriage.

“Shifts in hearts and minds is possible,” he added. “And those who have come so far on their journey to equality have a responsibility to reach back and help others join them. Because for all our differences, we are one people — stronger together than we could ever be alone.”

"That’s always been our story," he continued. "We are big and vast, and diverse. A nation of people with different backgrounds and beliefs, with different experiences and stories, but bound by our shared ideal that no matter who you are, or what you look like, how you started off, or how and who you love — America’s a place where you can write your own destiny.”

A post at the conservative blog Chicks on the Right posted it's translation of Obama's comments. "All you crazy religious people who believe in traditional marriage need to change your beliefs!" the blog said. "They're holding you back from joining up with the rest of us super-smart people who aren't burdened by those pesky moral standards given to you by a Higher Power. We know soooooo much better than you and we certainly know soooooo much better than God! Drop the religion crap already and come join us in supporting something you find morally repugnant! Give it time - you'll get over it soon enough!"

The blog also saw something of a threat in Obama's comments. "This is our chance to choose to jump up and party with all the same-sex marriage celebrators before you come down and force us to do it?" the blog asked. "What are you going to do if we're still not on board with it? If we still cling to God and religion? 'Cause I'm pretty secure in the knowledge that God will have something to say about that in a future day."

Obama, as we reported in 2012, has spent some time shifting and evolving on the issue of gay marriage. In February 1996, he wrote on a candidate questionnaire: “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” In 2011, however, then-White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer claimed the statement was written by someone else.

"What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman … What I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God, and it’s not simply the two persons who are meeting,” he said during his 2004 U.S. Senate campaign. In 2008, he supported civil unions, but not gay marriage.

In 2012, he came on board with gay marriage, apparently reverting back to his 1996 position. But as we reported at the time, there was one caveat. He still supported the states' right to decide the matter for themselves.

Celebrating the Supreme Court decision, the White House was lit up in the colors of the gay rainbow flag Friday. The Interior Department marked it with a picture of two men kissing on the edge of Colorado's Black Canyon, drawing praise from many and criticism from others.

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-americans-need-to-shift-religious-views-to-accept-gay-marriage

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2015, 07:10:45 AM »
Obama is wrong

You are free to have whatever idiotic religious belief that you want in this country.

What you don't get to do is claim your religious beliefs supersedes the laws that everyone has to follow

If your religious beliefs are in conflict with your job then find a new job because you're not qualified or capable of doing whatever job it is that is creating the conflict

Also, although you are free to believe whatever idiotic thing that you want you're not able to claim exemption from criticism for those beliefs

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »
Funny and sad at the same time.

Bill Donohue to Gay Pride Rowdies: Spit at Me and I'll Clock You
By Bill Hoffmann   
Monday, 29 Jun 2015

Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, erupted in fury on Monday at reports that Father Jonathan Morris, a Catholic priest and noted Fox News religion analyst, was spat on at the Gay Pride Parade in New York City.

"If some gay guy — or a straight guy — starts spitting in my face, I'll floor them. That's the right answer," Donohue told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.

On Sunday, Morris tweeted that he was in downtown Manhattan when "I ran into gay marriage parade. Two men walked by and spat on me. Oh well ... I deserve worse."

In another tweet, Morris, who also serves in campus ministry at Columbia University, appeared to forgive them, adding: "The two men who spat on me are probably very good man [sic] caught up in excitement and past resentment. Most in that parade would not do that."

But Donohue — author of "The Catholic Advantage: Why Health, Happiness, and Heaven Await the Faithful," published by Image — is not as forgiving.

"This idea that we are just piñatas, like a doormat to be walked upon, is because you've got some of these fascistic elements in the gay community doing this kind of thing," he told Steve Malzberg.

"Can you imagine if, in the St. Patrick's Day Parade, that some of the people there would spit upon some of the gays, for example, who are saying we want inclusion? That would be front page all over the place...."

Donohue believes that the Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states is just the beginning for the groups who were celebrating the ruling.

"They don't really care about marriage equality. What they want is to force the churches, the mosques, the synagogues, all the churches to fall in line and do exactly what they want us to do," he said.

Donohue is also concerned about some recent appointments of bishops by Pope Francis.

"[They are] very soft on gay marriage. He just appointed one in Berlin. I don't know what's going on quite frankly. A lot of Catholics are scratching their heads," Donohue told Steve Malzberg.

"The Pope is very much a maverick. I appreciate his comments on same-sex marriage made in the past … but you take a look at some of the appointments that he's made, including in this country, I begin to wonder.

"I hope that he stays a steady course on this. He's done a lot of good work, but you're dealing with somebody who's a little bit unpredictable."

http://www.newsmax.com/US/catholic-league-bill-donohue-gay/2015/06/29/id/652737/#ixzz3eZqhMWO8

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
The fallout is coming.  If you have a faith-based belief in traditional marriage and/or homosexuality, you are a "bigot."  Although the marriage issue is over, the consequences are not. 

ABC/Univision Network Editor: Tax 'Fanatical,' 'Bigoted' Churches
By Matthew Balan
June 30, 2015

On Monday, Fusion senior editor Felix Salmon echoed New York Times writer Mark Oppenheimer's call for the end of the tax exemption of religious institutions, but took it one step further: he called for the specific targeting of churches that "remain steadfastly bigoted on the subject" of same-sex "marriage." Salmon contended on Fusion.net that "if your organization does not support the right of gay men and women to marry, then the government should be very clear that you're in the wrong. And it should certainly not bend over backwards to give you the privilege of tax exemption."

The former Reuters financial blogger, who left in 2014 to work for Fusion (a joint project between ABC and Univision), began his article, "Does your church ban gay marriage? Then it should start paying taxes," by underlining that "now that the US government formally recognizes marriage equality as a fundamental right, it really shouldn't skew the tax code so as to give millions of dollars in tax breaks to groups which remain steadfastly bigoted on the subject. I'm talking, of course, about churches."

Salmon, a native of the United Kingdom, asserted that "for all that the US Constitution mandates the separation of church and state, the two do overlap in quite a few areas...One of those areas is taxation: the US government subsidizes churches to the tune of many billions of dollars per year by giving them tax-exempt status." He added that "it's important to note that the tax exemption for churches and other religious organizations is not embedded in the Constitution...Taxation is a purely secular affair, and by default it applies to everybody equally, whether they're a religious institution or not."

The Fusion senior editor argued that "it would be unconstitutional to single out religious institutions to make them pay more tax than anybody else, but the government has every right to stop giving them special tax-free privileges." But he soon contradicted himself, as he made it clear that he supported punishing "bigoted" churches who oppose same-sex "marriage:"

It's abundantly clear that religious institutions have no right to tax exemption. Most famously, in 1983, Bob Jones University lost its tax-exempt status when it continued to ban interracial dating....In the Bob Jones case, the US government made a very important statement. It's not enough, they said, to support the right of interracial couples to date and get married; it's also important to register official disapproval of any organizations which fail to support that right. To be given exemption from paying taxes is a special privilege bestowed by the state on deserving organizations. But there's nothing deserving about an organization which bans interracial dating. So, the state is entirely within its powers to remove that privilege.

The same argument can and should be applied to gay marriage. If your organization does not support the right of gay men and women to marry, then the government should be very clear that you're in the wrong. And it should certainly not bend over backwards to give you the privilege of tax exemption.

Salmon then brushed aside religious liberty concerns, and had the audacity to suggest to conservative that they should support his attack on dissenting religious groups:

We have religious freedom in this country, and any religious organization is entirely free to espouse whatever crazy views it likes. But when those views are fanatical and hurtful, they come into conflict with the views of any honorable legislator who believes in freedom and equality. And at that point, it makes perfect sense for our elected representatives to register their disapproval by abolishing the tax exemption for organizations who cling to narrow-minded and anachronistic views.

Conservatives should not object. The libertarian position here is simple and clear: everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of "picking winners", and deciding who does and who doesn't qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is "give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's". Which is to say, give to the country's secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.

The writer concluded by claiming that "it is entirely right and proper for the state to say to a church that if you want to thumb your nose at a fundamental right which is held by all Americans, then we are not going to privilege you with tax-free status. We'll let you practice your bigotry, at least within the confines of your own church. But we're not about to reward you for doing so."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2015/06/30/abcunivision-network-editor-tax-crazy-bigoted-churches#sthash.k8VpInBW.dpuf

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
Outrage After Iconic Iwo Jima Photo Is Recreated With Gay Pride Flag

Jul 01, 2015
As seen on The Kelly File

The iconic 1945 photo of Marines raising the American flag over Iwo Jima has been recreated with the gay pride flag.

The recreated image shows four muscular, skin-baring men raising a rainbow flag in place of the Marines and the American flag.

Brian Kilmeade reported on "The Kelly File" tonight that the controversial photo was taken nearly 10 years ago and appeared on the cover of a gay magazine at the time.

The photo began re-circulating last week after same-sex marriage was legalized nationwide in a historic Supreme Court ruling.

Kilmeade said the photographer, Ed Freeman, was shocked by the hate mail and backlash he has received on social media.

Watch Megyn's and Brian's discussion above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/07/01/gay-pride-photo-recreation-iconic-iwo-jima-image-sparks-outrage

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
Outrage After Iconic Iwo Jima Photo Is Recreated With Gay Pride Flag

Jul 01, 2015
As seen on The Kelly File

The iconic 1945 photo of Marines raising the American flag over Iwo Jima has been recreated with the gay pride flag.

The recreated image shows four muscular, skin-baring men raising a rainbow flag in place of the Marines and the American flag.

Brian Kilmeade reported on "The Kelly File" tonight that the controversial photo was taken nearly 10 years ago and appeared on the cover of a gay magazine at the time.

The photo began re-circulating last week after same-sex marriage was legalized nationwide in a historic Supreme Court ruling.

Kilmeade said the photographer, Ed Freeman, was shocked by the hate mail and backlash he has received on social media.

Watch Megyn's and Brian's discussion above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/07/01/gay-pride-photo-recreation-iconic-iwo-jima-image-sparks-outrage

LOL @ outrage over a ten year old photo that appeared on the cover of a gay magazine

who gives a shit

can't you fundies find something serious to get angry about

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
LOL @ outrage over a ten year old photo that appeared on the cover of a gay magazine

who gives a shit

can't you fundies find something serious to get angry about

10 years old?  LOL!!!!

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »

Can't this issue die already.  Die, die, die...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
Can't this issue die already.  Die, die, die...

The issue of homosexual marriage being legal is dead/decided.  The fallout, unfortunately, is not. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
The issue of homosexual marriage being legal is dead/decided.  The fallout, unfortunately, is not. 

Probably true.  Libtard rules are generally along the lines of gay people can be offended at any stupid, tiny, little thing, but straight people may not be offended by anything they do or say.  Then it's all ok.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »

yes, the fallout like you and Fox news being offended over a ten year old photo from the cover of a gay magazine

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »

Probably true.  Libtard rules are generally along the lines of gay people can be offended at any stupid, tiny, little thing, but straight people may not be offended by anything they do or say.  Then it's all ok.

Truth.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
Truth.

nonsense

Obama is wrong

You are free to have whatever idiotic religious belief that you want in this country.

What you don't get to do is claim your religious beliefs supersedes the laws that everyone has to follow

If your religious beliefs are in conflict with your job then find a new job because you're not qualified or capable of doing whatever job it is that is creating the conflict

Also, although you are free to believe whatever idiotic thing that you want but you're not able to claim exemption from criticism for those beliefs

Faux News is one big 24/7 cryfest of being offended so straight people (everyone at Faux News is straight, even the gay people) clearly have no problem vocalizing all the things that offend them in the world

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »
nonsense

Faux News is one big 24/7 cryfest of being offended so straight people (everyone at Faux News is straight, even the gay people) clearly have no problem vocalizing all the things that offend them in the world

remember when repubs used to be tough?   FOX is offended 24/7, just like msnbs.  always butthurt, always outraged, always "offensive statements made..."

They'are not about solutions, they're about bitching. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
Episcopalians Vote to Allow Gay Marriage in Churches
Thursday, 02 Jul 2015

The Episcopal Church has completed its embrace of gay rights, changing church law to allow same-sex religious marriages throughout the denomination, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The new policy won overwhelming approval from the top Episcopal legislative body Wednesday, following decades of debate and conflict. It came 12 years after the denomination blazed a trail by electing the first openly gay bishop.

"To finally get to this day is an incredible moment," said the Rev. Cynthia Black, of Morristown, New Jersey, a lesbian who has been campaigning for gay acceptance for years. "It is the beginning. It is not the end. There will still be people excluded, but at least we've gotten to this point."

The vote came in Salt Lake City at the Episcopal General Convention. Many dioceses in the New York-based church of nearly 1.9 million members already had been allowing their priests to perform civil same-sex weddings, using a trial prayer service to bless the couple. Still, the church hadn't changed its own laws on marriage until Wednesday.

The new law eliminates gender-specific language on marriage so same-sex couples could have religious weddings. Instead of "husband" and "wife," for example, the new church law will refer to "the couple." Clergy can decline to perform the ceremonies.

The changes were approved 173-27 by the House of Deputies, a voting body of clergy and lay people. The deputies also approved a gender-neutral prayer service for marriage on a 184-23 vote. The House of Bishops had given authorization for both measures a day earlier.

The measures take effect the first Sunday of Advent, Nov. 29.

The Episcopal Church is the U.S. wing of the Anglican Communion, an 80 million-member global fellowship of churches. Ties among Anglicans have been strained since Episcopalians in 2003 elected Bishop Gene Robinson, who lived openly with his male partner, to lead the Diocese of New Hampshire. Many more conservative Episcopalians either split off or distanced themselves from the national U.S. church after Robinson's election.

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, spiritual leader of the world's Anglicans, earlier this week expressed deep concern about the move to change the definition of marriage.

During debate Wednesday, the Rev. Jose Luis Mendoza-Barahona of Honduras said the new church law goes against the Bible and would create a chasm in the church.

"The fight has not ended, it's starting," he said during debate at the convention. "Those of us in the church who are loyal followers of Christ are going to remain firm in not recognizing what happened today."

But in an interview after the vote, Robinson said he was "delighted" and "proud" of the church.

"It's a day I wasn't sure I would live to see," said Robinson, who is now retired. "What we're seeing I think in the Episcopal Church, and last week with the Supreme Court decision, is an entire culture evolving into understanding that gay and lesbian, bisexual and transgender people contribute just as much as anyone else to this society and deserve all the same rights."

The Episcopal Church joins two other mainline Protestant groups that allow gay marriage in all their congregations: the United Church of Christ and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The 3.8-million-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in America lets its congregations decide for themselves, and many of them host gay weddings.

The United Methodist Church, by far the largest mainline Protestant church with 12.8 million members, bars gay marriage, although many of its clergy have been officiating at same-sex weddings recently in protest.

Black and her wife Becky Walker, who had a commitment ceremony in their home in 1988 and formally married four years ago in Massachusetts, said they hoped the changes would help reverse dwindling church membership, drawing young people looking for a welcoming religion. Faith groups across the spectrum of belief, from the Episcopal Church to the Southern Baptists, have been losing members as more Americans say they identify with no particular religion. The Episcopal Church has shrunk 18 percent over the last decade, after more than a generation of steady decline.

"People under the age of 30 don't understand what the fuss is about. They've grown up having LGBT folks as their friends and part of their life," Black said. "They don't understand why the church would ever exclude them."

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Episcopal-Church-allows-Gay/2015/07/01/id/653158/#ixzz3equq4q4E

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
finally.
so pleased with my  church.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »
Jimmy Carter: Jesus Would OK Gay Marriage, Some Abortion
By Andrew Miller
July 7, 2015

Liberals love to define the Bible the way they want. This time it was the 39th U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

About half way through the interview on Huffington Post Live, Carter was asked his opinion of gay marriage, to which he gave the obligatory, “That’s no problem with me. You know, I think everybody should have the right to get married regardless of their sex.”

Carter then switched to the topic of abortion, noting his not-quite-pro-choice stance. He supported this by saying that Jesus would not approve of abortion, except in cases of rape and incest (because suddenly God wouldn’t care about the inherent value of a life in these instances, of course).

But then, interviewer Marc Lamont Hill herded Carter back over to gay marriage where the following ensued:

Carter skipped the point where Jesus defined a relationship between a man and a woman in Mark 19:4-6. Here is the NIV version from Biblehub.com:

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Pretty clear to anyone except a former president.

Carter followed on the heels of actor Ryan Reynolds, who appeared on HuffPost yesterday, calling gay marriage opponents ‘monsters.’

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/andrew-miller/2015/07/07/jimmy-carter-jesus-would-ok-gay-marriage-some-abortion#sthash.DnqXGX9v.dpuf

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
Nobody cherry picks from the Bible more often than conservatives.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
 :-\

Democrats demand ‘bigoted’ words ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ be removed from federal laws
July 10, 2015
Michael Schaus

Democrats are playing word games again.

If you say “husband” or “wife,” you may be bigoted and not even know it, some Democrats apparently think.

In the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize gay marriage nationwide, more than two dozen Democrats have proposed legislation that would eliminate the “gendered” words “husband” and “wife” from federal laws and replace them with “gender-neutral” words like “spouse” and “married couple.”

“The Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act recognizes that the words in our laws have meaning and can continue to reflect prejudice and discrimination,” said California Democrat Rep. Lois Capps, according to the Washington Examiner.

Democrats have apparently declared a war on traditional words now that the Supreme Court has handed them a victory in the war on traditional marriage.

“I authored this bill because it is imperative that our federal code reflect the equality of all marriages,” Capps said.

Saying that “our values as a country are reflected in our laws,” Capps argued that the change is needed to help put an end to subtle prejudices.

In addition to making federal regulations and laws friendlier to gay marriage, Capps said the move would have other “benefits” for minority groups such as women.

As an example, her office noted that federal law makes it a crime to threaten the president’s wife but says nothing about the president’s husband, which she says illustrates an implied prejudice against women’s holding the highest office in the land.

The bill “would update the code to make it illegal to threaten the president’s ‘spouse,’” her office said.

The Examiner notes that the specific example of presidential spouses might be a nod to the candidacy of Democrat 2016 front-runner Hillary Clinton. After all, it’s unlikely Capps is thinking about Republican Carly Fiorina’s chances at the White House.

When the “social justice” warriors in the Democrat Party start nitpicking “gendered” words in the federal register, it may be safe to assume legislators have a little too much time on their hands.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/07/10/democrats-demand-bigoted-words-husband-and-wife-be-removed-from-federal-laws-223113#ixzz3fn0FOaHh