Author Topic: American Sniper - Truth or a Lie?  (Read 13258 times)

ChuckleHead

American Sniper - Truth or a Lie?
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:13:51 AM »
http://www.alternet.org/watch-chomsky-blasts-american-sniper-and-media-glorifies-it

By Janet Allon / AlterNet
January 26, 2015

Print
303 COMMENTS

Noam Chomsky had some choice words about the popularity of "American Sniper," its glowing New York Times review, and what the worship of a movie about a cold-blooded killer says about the American people.

It's not good.

During a Cambridge, Massachusetts event hosted by The Baffler, Chomsky first read the glowing recent review the New York Times gave the movie. That review begins inauspiciously by insulting, “America’s coastal intelligentsia, which has busied itself with chatter over little-seen art dramas while everyday Americans showed up en masse for a patriotic, pro-family picture which broke all attendance records in its opening days.”

So, Chomsky wonders aloud: “What was the patriotic, pro-family film that so entranced everyday Americans? It’s about the most deadly sniper in American history, a guy named Chris Kyle, who claims to have used his skills to have killed several hundred people in Iraq.”

Kyle's first kill was a woman who apparently walked into the street with a grenade in her hand as the Marines attacked her village. Here's how Kyle describes killing her with a single shot:

“‘I hated the damn savages I’d been fighting,’” Chomsky said, quoting Kyle. “‘Savage, despicable, evil — that’s what we were fighting in Iraq. That’s why a lot of people, myself included, called the enemy savages. There was really no other way to describe what we encountered there.’”

Chomsky also pointed out that The New Yorker loved the film, saying, "it was great, kept to the cinematic values, said it was well done." On the other hand, Newsweek's Jeff Stein, a former US intelligence officer, deferred, calling it appalling. In that review, Chomsky says, Stein remembered a visit he had made to a “clubhouse for snipers, where to quote him, ‘the barroom walls featured white-on-black Nazi SS insignia, and other Wehrmacht regalia. The Marine shooters clearly identified with the marksmen of the world’s most infamous killing machine, rather than regular troops.”

“Getting back to Chris Kyle,” Chomsky said, arriving at his larger point. “He regarded his first kill as a terrorist — this woman who walked in the street — but we can’t really attribute that to the mentality of a psychopathic killer, because we’re all tarred by the same brush insofar as we tolerate or keep silent about official policy.”

“Now, that [sniper] mentality helps explain why it’s so easy to ignore what is most clearly the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern history, if not ever — Obama’s global assassination campaign, the drone campaign, which officially is aimed at murdering people who are suspected of maybe someday planning to harm us.”

Chomsky recommends reading some of the transcripts with drone operators, calling them "harrowing" in their dehumanizing treatment of people who are targeted.

The implication is clear and chilling. Are we all, at least tacitly, American snipers?

Here's Chomsky via WGBH below.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
The American Sniper Liar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
Re: The American Sniper Liar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
I don't believe either of them, both had a reason to lie.  Jesse is a fucking fruit loop

Rudee

• Getbig V
Re: American Sniper - Truth or a Lie?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
Chris Kyle had a huge problem when it came to telling the truth.  I take anything he said with a huge grain of salt.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
just because he was trained by the Us Government to kill, does mean i trust his word

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
Lying and Glorifying.  

That has been the theme with this thing since day one, in case you hadn't noticed.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
Dorian vs Coleman.  Who was better?
a

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
soldiers are people who are given the right to murder other people because they are "bad". They re PAID to do so.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
SO wish Chomsky coulda been 161.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

:o
"

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »

To answer that one would have to know the mind of God.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
Liberal are low lives. He didn't write that book it was written by two guys with his name on it. Liberals claim to love soldiers unless they killed a lot of people. That's why Obama has given out so many Medal of Honor medals to soldiers involved in rescues. In the past the majority were given out to soldiers who through bravery killed the enemy.  Jesse Ventura is an embarrassment. He was a frog man. The SEALS didn't exist then. Yes the frog men evolved into the Navy SEALS.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
chris kyle is constantly called a hero in media and by talking heads on tv but they never say why  ???

why should the domesticated sheeple be worshipping a cold blooded killer?? exactly the type of person who we were brought up to believe was bad.

Bluez

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »

Dorian

Its the future now and Dorian still lifts and has hot girlfriend..

Coleman

Is riding a mobile scooter and trying to get his arms back too 19 inches..

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
Dorian

Its the future now and Dorian still lifts and has hot girlfriend..

Coleman

Is riding a mobile scooter and trying to get his arms back too 19 inches..
dorian had back, calves, and conditioning thats it

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »
chris kyle is constantly called a hero in media and by talking heads on tv but they never say why  ???

why should the domesticated sheeple be worshipping a cold blooded killer?? exactly the type of person who we were brought up to believe was bad.

Chris Kyle saved the lives of many of his fellow soldiers by killing a bunch of fucked up Jihadists.

Good enough for me.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
Chris Kyle saved the lives of many of his fellow soldiers by killing a bunch of fucked up Jihadists.

Good enough for me.

you are right.

But isn't he just as bad a human being as the people he was killing?

In your society, murder is murder no?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
you are right.

In most societies, the definition of murder is very different in the context or war or military action.
Y

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
you are right.

The intent in war is to kill the enemy.

The rules in war are not the same as the rules in everyday life

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »

Good enough for me.

They were Iraqi citizens that were illegally invaded and occupied, some of which tried to defend themselves. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
I am not too sure what he said was true. But what I do know is that most people who fight in war do not glorify it. My grandfather fought in World War 2 in the Battle of the Bulge, which was the most bloodiest battle in all of WW2. When people or myself would ask my grandfather about the war, he would always say, "I had a job to do and I did it. There is nothing else to say." Toward the end  of his life, him and my grandmother made a video for our family (my grandma is still alive). The person doing the interview asked my grandfather about the war, he teared up and again reiterated, "There is not much to say."

This Chris Kyle guy is a total clown. He had a job to do and he did it. Fine, I will not hold that against him. But the way he glorifies killing and war is really strange. Truly a sociopath. And the fact that most Americans glorify him is equally disgusting. I will not glorify war and say how awesome Chris Kyle was. He had a job to do and he did it. I will not hold that against him. But none of the war veterans Ive met or seen interview talk like him. We all have seen interviews with WW2 vets and I have never seen any of them glorify war.
X

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »
movie would be better if they added the part where he shoots 30 americans from the top of the superdome and dispatches two carjackers with some underarm shots. 
"

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Liberal are low lives. He didn't write that book it was written by two guys with his name on it. Liberals claim to love soldiers unless they killed a lot of people. That's why Obama has given out so many Medal of Honor medals to soldiers involved in rescues. In the past the majority were given out to soldiers who through bravery killed the enemy.  Jesse Ventura is an embarrassment. He was a frog man. The SEALS didn't exist then. Yes the frog men evolved into the Navy SEALS.
Kyle has been caught in too many lies to be credible.

When Ventura completed buds training he chose udt because his brother was udt. Like him or hate him he earned the right to be called a navy seal.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
bob hoshkins died  wtf

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »
I am not too sure what he said was true. But what I do know is that most people who fight in war do not glorify it. My grandfather fought in World War 2 in the Battle of the Bulge, which was the most bloodiest battle in all of WW2. When people or myself would ask my grandfather about the war, he would always say, "I had a job to do and I did it. There is nothing else to say." Toward the end  of his life, him and my grandmother made a video for our family (my grandma is still alive). The person doing the interview asked my grandfather about the war, he teared up and again reiterated, "There is not much to say."

This Chris Kyle guy is a total clown. He had a job to do and he did it. Fine, I will not hold that against him. But the way he glorifies killing and war is really strange. Truly a sociopath. And the fact that most Americans glorify him is equally disgusting. I will not glorify war and say how awesome Chris Kyle was. He had a job to do and he did it. I will not hold that against him. But none of the war veterans Ive met or seen interview talk like him. We all have seen interviews with WW2 vets and I have never seen any of them glorify war.

Right, seems he enjoyed killing.