Author Topic: back day...how's this look?  (Read 3060 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
back day...how's this look?
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:45:15 PM »
i need to get my back in order..i have no taper what so ever...

here is what my back days look like

dumbbell rows:

120x10
150x8
150x8
150x6
150x6

barbell rows

3x10x225

not nearly enough?  ???

krazyweels

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: back day...how's this look?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:52:18 PM »
Deadlifts
Weighted chins or pullups
BB Rows

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
i need to get my back in order..i have no taper what so ever...
here is what my back days look like
dumbbell rows:
120x10
150x8
150x8
150x6
150x6
barbell rows
3x10x225
not nearly enough?  ???

Are you joking about the v-taper??  If not, it is your form..   Drop all of your weights by 20% and start digging into each rep.  Rowing is all about the contraction...

I would add Pullovers. Ez Bar & Across bench Db..  Immediately............. ........., do them NOW!!! 

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:26:40 PM »
why would i joke about it?

and today i finished off with extremely wide grip barbell rows with lighter weights.  the thing is when i'm done my back feels like it's been humped by a 300lb whore...

my lat spread is a joke...my middle back is very very thick but no matter what i try it won't widen out. the only time you see it is when i do a front or rear double bicep shot.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:04:16 PM »
PULLUPS PULLDOWNS
Valhalla awaits.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »
Might try:

Pullovers..warm-up with a light BB or DB, working for a full stretch. 20-30  reps.

1)   Bent arm pullovers....either DB or BB ( seem to get a better muscle action, for my self, with DB's but do which ever suits you.

2)  Medium grip(little wider than the shoulders) chins, touching the chest to the bar each rep. If you have gymnstic rings at you gym then use them over a chinning bar. If your chinning bar has a set of hammer grips on it than use that over a regular chinning grip.

3)  BB row..with a curl grip and the hands between 6-8 inches apart.. bring the bar into the lower abs each rep.

2 sets of 7-10 reps for each exercise.

Or

Bent arm pullovers....3 sets of 7-10 reps
Chins...rings or hammer grip prefered....2 sets of 7-10

The best insurance of getting any type of a taper will usually be through pullovers...either straight arm or bent. Not that it matter's that much, just an example, but I'll do a couple sets of heavy straight arm pullovers and than three sets of the bent arm version with DB's.

All forms of chinning are also great for the lat's. Don't see it much more but behind the next chins can affect the lat's and posterior delts very strongly also. Of course the bottom line is if your born with a potentional for a extra wide taper, but you can always make improvements. Good Luck.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:44:17 PM »
Hey JPM  i know you dont respond to PM's, so i was wandering if you could re-type the workout you posted for me a couple of months ago, it was the full body split you do with some of your clients.

I think the workout i am doing is pretty much exactly the same  (and dont worry i am happy with it at the moment, but like urself i like to switch back and forth every month or two for a wee change), but i was just wanting to make sure,. i think u had a couple or exercises different.
Thanks in advance!!!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »
Deadlifts
Weighted chins or pullups
BB Rows

That's what I'm talking about!

Some real fucking exercises. No Gay Machines.

Everyone knows about them, No one does them. Pussies.

SlackJaw Fagets

sli

• Getbig II
  • eat,sleep,pump iron, rinse & repeat
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »
Wide grip (I'm talking back splitting wide) weighted pull-ups are the gold standard for creating that V-taper.
You say you have the thickness you need, so the only other thing left is making sure your back has something to taper down to; that would be a fat free waist line....DIET...DIET...DI ET!
'move..and I'll snatch the life right out of you'

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
my hips....DIETED down..are 34 inchest around...my waist is a 32... :-/

my body will only let me get so skinny

sli

• Getbig II
  • eat,sleep,pump iron, rinse & repeat
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »
my hips....DIETED down..are 34 inchest around...my waist is a 32... :-/
my body will only let me get so skinny
I understand bro, you can only do so much and then it's just up to the gene pool.
'move..and I'll snatch the life right out of you'

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 01:56:13 AM »
 Like a few others have already said PULL UPS!! And also grab a pole or something and really stretch the lats out between every set. Arnold talks about this in his Encyclopedia of bodybuilding and it really works.
Also practice doing lat spreads..At least for me this really helps me to get my mind focused on my back so I pull with my lats as much as possible and not so much my arms.It is very important that you get a good contraction,and  feel it in your back,and not forearms and bicepts.I think it helps to use a thumbless grip on the bar too, not sure why really,but for me it helps to minimize the use of the arms.Don't forget your side delts to add to your taper.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »
my spread doesn't look too bad from the back..actually looks kinda full..but from the front..when i do the same mothion....there isnt' much of anything to look at...

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »
The stretching really helps.It is said to help spread the scapula apart farther,making it easier to flare your lats and adding to your v taper.It takes awhile but I could tell a differance.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 07:08:50 AM »
hell yeah thanks man..i'll try anything for awhile!  :)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
Stretching is a good idea and if you alternate each side, right and than left,  as well as stretching the arms together, will affect the lat's.  Also hanging from a bar (no pull-up or muscle action of any kind) with a extra wide hand spacing helps. Single DB (hands together) straight arm pullovers, with a light weight, while holding a complete stretch for 20-30 seconds can  help the potentional lat spread. Relax as you stretch, if you use in any of the above suggestions. Relaxing a muscle and it's opposite muscle is the key to a good complete stretch. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 09:10:12 AM »
Stretching may be psychologically rewarding for some, but there's no particular reason to think it really helps or is needed if a full stretch is obtained while exercising. Another more productive  stretch can be achieved by end of set partial ROMs done after reaching failure; the stretch & intensity's insane.

kstatus1

• Getbig I
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 10:17:46 AM »
If you are lifting that kind of weight and still do not have a back, I dont know what to tell you.  I lift 25% less than that and my back is nasty...  but, I will say chins, and try to add weight... maybe start to focus on extreme good form but not all the time... ; )

K

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
He's not doing any chin/pulldown motions nor DB pullovers nor other forms of rowing that might be more effective, like T-bars, so there's lots of options he hasn't even covered yet. Try each for a while, keep the best ones. Pulldowns/chins down to the lower chest, elbows back, minimal arm flexing.

Increase intensity by reducing work on each exercise to 3-4 sets. 9-12 total sets, go to failure almost always, and beyond on the last set of each exercise.