Author Topic: Bored of German Volume Training-Anyone got any good Contest Prep Routines?  (Read 11100 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
GVT was easy and boring.  Anyone got anything good?

Ideally, 45-hour each lifting session.  Any amount of sets/reps are fine.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Re: Bored of German Volume Training-Anyone got any good Contest Prep Routines?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:01:54 AM »
Giant set are great for the few weeks before a contest, very effrective - it's brutal, burns a ton of calories and keeps things interesting...circuits of 4-8 exercises for the same muscle group performs back to back in a non stop manner until ALL exercises are complete. You typically do 3-4 rotations of this circuit for all bodyparts - calves and abs included.

Normally did a 5 day split:

Legs
Back

Shoulders
arms
Chest

e.g. Leg day--

Rotation #1  ---(perform 4 rotations)

Smith machine squat --- feet close together (touching) and slightly in front.  --- 20 reps
+
Smith machine squat --- feet WIDE stance (as wide as you can) --- 20 reps
+
Squat press machine close stance (touching) but feet underneath you not in front targeting more quads. -- 10-15 reps
+
Squat press machine close stance (touching) but feet in front of you targeting more hams and glutes -- 10-15 reps
+
Walking DB lunges back and forth across the length of the gym  (shorter strides for more quads)

Rotation #2 --- (perform 4 rotations)

Reverse hack squat -- feet close together -- 20 reps
+
Leg press (feet near bottom of platform and close together) for quads --20 reps
+
Leg press (feet wide stance and to the top of the platform) for hams glutes --20 reps
+
Stiff legged deadlifts feet close together -- 10-15 reps
+
Hyper extensions for hams/glutes/lower back -- 15 reps

Rotation #3 -- (perform 3 rotations)

Laying ham curls --- 15 reps
+
Adductor machine -- 15 reps
+
Abductor machine -- 15 reps
+
Leg extensions - 20 reps

This is good stuff!!!!

Can you finish out the routine for me.  I will definitely do this!

Also, I always thought you had one of the best physiques on here by far, especially for a Lifetime Natural.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
Thanks Adam, I was lifetime Natty in that pic (from 2005) and up to 2013...I won't BS you though! I cannot claim lifetime natural since the 2nd half of 2013. Worked with Matt Porter for 6 months contest prep. Been drug free since Dec 2013 if that means anything - In retrospect I'm glad I tried it - lets just say it was an eye opener (night and day) compared to prepping natty! - glad I can say I've experienced both sides. Always been curious (No Homo) 

Regarding the full program I don't want to piss Matt off by posting up his full routine he gave me online. But I'm sure you can make your own giant set routine up by using that formatt/guide lines. I still use it now in short bursts of 4 weeks alternate with a lower volumn Max-Ot type training - doing Giant set training for too many weeks in a row I think I'd burn out.

All the best
SN

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »
To give you an idea, here's an example of what Matt had me do: Giant Set shoulders.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:56:17 AM »

Outdoor gym  ;) & is freeee.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »

I thought you were doing the NoOne training routine and making gains "every workout" and always feeling "pumped"?

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:20:54 AM »
One of the main problems with that giant set stuff is that you can only perform it in an empty gym ::)

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:04:25 AM »
One of the main problems with that giant set stuff is that you can only perform it in an empty gym ::)

yeah I hear you but It can be done, I had a bunch of training partners to book up all the machines needed.(especially leg day) I'm sure people hated us for hogging all the equipment  :D

If you train on your own. I made my own circuit I'd put an adjustable bench  in front of a machine/cable crossover with dumbells

e.g.

Chest –

Rotation #1 (perform 4 rotations)

Incline smith press – 15 reps
+
Flat bench DB flies – 15 reps
+
Decline DB press – 15 reps
+
Incline DB flies – 15 reps

Rotations #2 (perform 4 rotations)

Cable cross overs – 15 reps
+
DB incline press—15 reps
+
Flat bench DB press – 15 reps
+
Bench Pushups  – 15 reps

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:17 AM »

EXACTLY!

Nowadays gyms are littered with a sea of inert flesh sitting on equipment entranced by their cell phones.

I have to carry extra towels to "guard" equipment just for super sets. I'd have to bring my laundry basket to do giant sets. And I rearranged my whole life schedule just so I can train after midnight -- and still I have people in my way.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 04:08:17 AM »
EXACTLY!

Nowadays gyms are littered with a sea of inert flesh sitting on equipment entrance by their cell phones.

I have to carry extra towels to "guard" equipment just for super sets. I'd have to bring my laundry basket to do giant sets. And I rearranged my whole life schedule just so I can train after midnight -- and still I have people in my way.

LOL  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »
Thanks Adam, I was lifetime Natty in that pic (from 2005) and up to 2013...I won't BS you though! I cannot claim lifetime natural since the 2nd half of 2013. Worked with Matt Porter for 6 months contest prep. Been drug free since Dec 2013 if that means anything - In retrospect I'm glad I tried it once - lets just say it was an eye opener (night and day) compared to prepping natty! - glad I can say I've experienced both sides. Always been curious (No Homo) but afterwards decided that was it for me. Got married and have other prioritiues now than competitve bbing and the risks involved.

Regarding the full program I don't want to piss Matt off by posting up his full routine he gave me online. But I'm sure you can make your own giant set routine up by using that formatt/guide lines. I still use it now in short bursts of 4 weeks alternate with a lower volumn Max-Ot type training - doing Giant set training for too many weeks in a row I think I'd burn out.

All the best
SN

I was going to call B.S. on the natty claim but you seem honest by this post and I'll take you at your word. It's just that your level of development is astounding that's it's hard to believe you are natural. I mean that as a compliment.

At your best natural condition, what was your height and weight? And how many days a week do you train? What supps do you recommend if any? Do you have a minimum daily protein requirement? Have  you ever posted a log outlining your training and diet?

I find naturals that have achieved your level to be far more interesting than enhanced bbers at any level.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »
Why would someone who got a physique like that naturally start juicing?

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 05:11:16 AM »
Why would someone who got a physique like that naturally start juicing?

Good question!  after 20 years of trying (I'm 41 now) I just got sick of going to the World Champs (I qualified 5 times Drug free) working so hard/dieted for 20 weeks to never even make the top 15...not even a thanks for coming. I wanted more than anything to be competitve.. and to be competitve at the IFBB classic World champs you HAVE to. unfortunatley in this pic I was NOT good enough ... there is just that grainy/chemical look or level of conditioning/fullness those European guys have that just to me is impossible to achieved naturally - the IFBB judges rewarded that look....it wasn't so much about mass/size.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »
I was going to call B.S. on the natty claim but you seem honest by this post and I'll take you at your word. It's just that your level of development is astounding that's it's hard to believe you are natural. I mean that as a compliment.

At your best natural condition, what was your height and weight? And how many days a week do you train? What supps do you recommend if any? Do you have a minimum daily protein requirement? Have  you ever posted a log outlining your training and diet?

I find naturals that have achieved your level to be far more interesting than enhanced bbers at any level.

Thanks yeah, I know there are guys out there that lie ect. but I'm not BS in that pic the only drug i used was ECA. I have no reason to lie and I never BS on Getbig.

Height - 169 cm
Weight - 70kg

I've never posted a log/blog - But If you look up Jeff Rodrigues, jeff willet, skip La cour (they can defend themselves re their natty status) But to me what they did makes sence and is  pretty much what I do/did - diet, protein,training,cardio and supp wise.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »
Good question!  after 20 years of trying (I'm 41 now) I just got sick of going to the World Champs (I qualified 5 times Drug free) working so hard and never even making the top 15. I wanted to be competitve and to be competitve at the IFBB classic World champs you HAVE to... unfortunatley this was good enough to win at a certain level (our Nationals)... but there is just that grainy/chemical look or level of conditioning/fullness those European guys have that just to me was impossible to achieved naturally - the IFBB judges rewarded that....it wasn't so much about mass/size.

Can you elaborate on the differences in natty/enhanced? How much more size? Strength? Were you pleased overall with the results?

BTW, props on coming clean. Your natty physique would have been a lifetime achievement for me.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
Pre-exhaust super sets are great for cutting:

Here are a couple body part examples.

Delts

1. side laterals 10 reps, superset with over head press - 8 reps
Do 1-2 warm up sets and 3 supersets

Triceps -

1. push downs superset with dips - same sets/reps as above

Try doing a 3 way split ( back, bis/  legs / chest ,delts tris), doing 2 days on, 1 day off, work abs every other day

I pretty much do all my training in supersets these days. Sample of triceps:

Superset, all right after each other:
- DB "crush press" (close-grip with DBs)
- incline plate OH tricep extensions
- ring OH extensions with bodyweight
- close-hand pushups
- tricep pressdowns with bands

Delts, superset:
- side laterals (have to use lighter weight and extreme form for my RC injury)
- trap bar military pin-pres
- DB front raises (higher than shoulder height
- face-pulls with bands

x5

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »
Can you elaborate on the differences in natty/enhanced? How much more size? Strength? Were you pleased overall with the results?

I competed at exactley the same weight - dieted down hard to 70kg.

I wouldn't say it was easier! The diet was as hard I **** suffered!  :P -  enables you to train harder, longer, more frequent (trained twice a day  -7 days a week) - no muscle loss ... I was more conditioned - better endurance not so much stronger - just better recovery, thinner skin, vascular, pumped there wasn't that smooth film over the muscles you see in the 2005 pic. that was the main difference. Can see how guys get "addicted" for sure but it's not for me.
You make a deal with the devil for sure...I was conservative and it's taken me this long to feel normal again - a year +

*I'm not going to go in to specifics of what Matt adviced me   - he definilty knows his stuff though...
here's a pic from 2013 to give you an idea of the difference.

p.s Thanks man, I always hated it when fake natties lied to me (I won't name names) so I swore I would never do that.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
    At your age keep away from trenbolone, winstrol, anapolon or deca. Your testicles may not survive them and you will end up on TRT forever.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »

I wouldn't say it was easier! The diet was as hard I **** suffered!  :P -  enables you to train harder, longer, more frequent (trained twice a day  -7 days a week) - no muscle loss ... I was more conditioned - better endurance not so much stronger - just better recovery, thinner skin, vascular, pumped there wasn't that smooth film over the muscles you see in the 2005 pic. that was the main difference. Can see how guys get "addicted" for sure but it's not for me.
You make a deal with the devil for sure...I was conservative and it's taken me this long to feel normal again - a year +

*I'm not going to go in to specifics of what Matt adviced me   - he definilty knows his stuff though...

p.s Thanks man, I always hated it when fake natties lied to me (I won't name names) so I swore I would never do that.

Wise man. Devil is never far away...he can grab anyone!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »

That's sick! Very impressive!

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
very impressive build & I belive natural claims props & respect but only 5'6" 154 lbs. would be much tougher to do if not impossible at 5'10" or taller   

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »
so basically with steroids you look like you rolled in sand a few times back and forth before getting on stage

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
You are awesome Super Natural!!!  Thanks for the routine and your honesty as well!

I will be able to do your routine as I have my own home gym with a ton of equipment.  I want to get to your best natural conditioning this year and I think I can do it shortly.  I have gone 136 days straight at 2300 calories and am in the best condition I have ever been in.  I think a few adjustments here and there and I will be good to do. 

What is the lowest you dropped your calories?  I don`t plan on dropping mine at all as time takes care of it.  The only way I could see dropping is if I got impatient, but I don`t get impatient so I don`t see it happening.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »

Andreas Munzer shredded right there

gettingbetter

• Getbig III
  • Fuck Yeah!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
Impressive! No homo...