Author Topic: A new place to GETBIG  (Read 2838 times)

sli

• Getbig II
  • eat,sleep,pump iron, rinse & repeat
A new place to GETBIG
« on: February 23, 2006, 06:53:49 AM »
I'm re-locating from the Midwest, to the Columbia, Maryland area, and I need some local gym beta!
I've done the net searches, but you can't get the flavor from a web page.
I'm shouting out to anyone in the Columbia, Maryland area: WHERE"S THE BEST PLACE TO GETBIG??!!
'move..and I'll snatch the life right out of you'

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: A new place to GETBIG
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
The only good way to find out about a gym is to vist the place and see if you could have a couple of trail workout (They will probably charge you for each workout).  Some of the chain gym's wouldn't let you do that (depends on the manager usually) but most of the smaller ones will. You get a feel for the other people around you and how they use the equipment. And if the gym has the equipment you really need. Also can gather what the general attutude is, weither serious or casual. If it's got more treadmills and other cardio machines and less heavy weight equipment than it may not be for you. May also want to vist a new gym around the hour(s) that you plan to workout. Different times of the day bring higher or lower traffic to the gym floor. Keep in mind that you don't want to wait in a long line just to use a peice of equipment. Check out the dressing rooms, lockers & shower rooms and if they have a towel service. If you do sign a contract (not always the best plan) than make sure that the gym has libel insurance , not just to cover their arse but your's also. Good Luck.. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »
yeah of course its fun to hear people recommending gyms etc but at the end of the day you gotta check it for yourself, you probably gonna be there 3-4 times a week for a year or more, need to make sure its right for you

one need to pay attention before signing up for a year membership or so, some things may not be obvious at first and can get annoying after a while... everything from number of people to the music they play
Z

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »
what is libel insurance in regards to a gym?
Valhalla awaits.

sli

• Getbig II
  • eat,sleep,pump iron, rinse & repeat
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
Thanks guys! Your right, you really have to be there and check it out, to know that it's right for you.
Problem is - there's got to be 50 gyms within 10 square miles and I was hoping to narrow the field a little. Yeah I'm lazy, but sh*t there's no way to check out that many gyms, even if I automatically cancel out anything with the word fitness or curves in the name.:)
'move..and I'll snatch the life right out of you'

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »
You're looking at it the wrong way-having TOO MANY choices is a good thing. Take literally just a few minutes to walk through some, and you'll generally know in no time, can then narrow the choices down further.