Author Topic: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat - 2015 MLB Discussion  (Read 154828 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat - 2015 MLB Discussion
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Signs 100 million dollar contract and shows up to Spring Training looking like this

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
Last three years:

Chase Headley: .262/.352/.429   OPS .781    HR 57  WAR: 13.6  dWar 2.4    4 years / 52M
Pablo Sandoval: .280/.335/.424  OPS .759    HR 42  WAR: 8.2    dWar -.1    5 years / 95M

Both players played in pitcher friendly parks for most of that sample.  Sandoval is 2 years younger, and 2 people fatter.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
Signs 100 million dollar contract and shows up to Spring Training looking like this

reminds me of john "i ain't no athlete lady", kruk.... great conditioning.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:12 AM »
Last three years:

Chase Headley: .262/.352/.429   OPS .781    HR 57  WAR: 13.6  dWar 2.4    4 years / 52M
Pablo Sandoval: .280/.335/.424  OPS .759    HR 42  WAR: 8.2    dWar -.1    5 years / 95M

Both players played in pitcher friendly parks for most of that sample.  Sandoval is 2 years younger, and 2 people fatter.
Those stats don't show clutch.

I don't think the Giants win two of those world series rings without Pablo. He was that good.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
Those stats don't show clutch.

I don't think the Giants win two of those world series rings without Pablo. He was that good.

He has performed well in the post season.  That doesn't not make it any more likely / unlikely that he will again.

Either way, that is a small sample.  Over the majority of games played in the last three years, Headley has outperformed Sandoval by a decent margin.  The 43M more Sandoval got is crazy, or the Yankess got a huge bargain.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
He has performed well in the post season.  That doesn't not make it any more likely / unlikely that he will again.

Either way, that is a small sample.  Over the majority of games played in the last three years, Headley has outperformed Sandoval by a decent margin.  The 43M more Sandoval got is crazy, or the Yankess got a huge bargain.
The way they throw out long term deals in baseball is moronic.

How hard is it to sign people to 3 or 4 year deals? Why do these front office morons continue to sign 8-10 year deals.

Look at Arod, Pujols, Hamilton etc...... they simply don't end well.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »

How hard is it to sign people to 3 or 4 year deals? Why do these front office morons continue to sign 8-10 year deals.

Agree completely.

The reason they do is because some owner/GM is always willing to take the risk, so it becomes necessary to procure the player.  It's what NY is dealing with now - players on the wrong side of the contract.

We're seeing it shift....a bit.  LTDs are given out to younger players in lieu of arb years.  Older players aren't fairing as well, although the elite who are older like Scherzer are still going to get paid.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »

giancarlo stanton is the worse right now 315 million for a guy who never hit 40 homers yet and has a hard time staying on the field....early on they said he had bad knees did someone forget something....
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »
Rangers infielder, former No. 1 prospect Jurickson Profar may miss a second straight season

Rangers infielder Jurickson Profar, who ranked as one of the elite prospects in baseball before missing all of last season with a shoulder injury, is now in danger of missing a second consecutive season following news that he needs surgery.

Profar initially opted for rest and rehab instead of going under the knife, but now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that a recent MRI exam showed “increased strain on the subscapularis muscle in his right shoulder.” There’s no official recovery timetable yet, but obviously it’s not good.

Profar debuted for the Rangers in 2012 as a 19-year-old, after which both Baseball America and MLB.com rated him as the No. 1 prospect in baseball. He then played 85 games as a 20-year-old rookie in 2013, but now his future is very much in question and Texas’ incredible injury woes are carrying over to another year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
He was supposed to be a can't miss - drafted him in my FFB league his first year.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
He was supposed to be a can't miss - drafted him in my FFB league his first year.

2 years ago was the top prospect in baseball and now his career is in question at the age of 21.

Crazy story.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:58:28 AM »
2 years ago was the top prospect in baseball and now his career is in question at the age of 21.

Crazy story.

It's one of the reasons why, as a Yankee fan, I never cared when they traded prospects for established players.

It's so hard to become a good MLB player.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 04:31:20 AM »
It's one of the reasons why, as a Yankee fan, I never cared when they traded prospects for established players.

It's so hard to become a good MLB player.

Yeah that's what the guys on the radio were talking about. Trading for proven players should always be something to think about if a good deal is on the table.

Then the discussion came up about about a big time prospect The Rangers have named Joey Gallo. 6'5 guy built like Josh Hamilton who has been hitting a ton of long distant home runs in Double A.

But the guys weren't too keen at the idea of letting him go.  :-\

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the hype, no doubt about it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 05:46:52 AM »
Yeah that's what the guys on the radio were talking about. Trading for proven players should always be something to think about if a good deal is on the table.

Then the discussion came up about about a big time prospect The Rangers have named Joey Gallo. 6'5 guy built like Josh Hamilton who has been hitting a ton of long distant home runs in Double A.

But the guys weren't too keen at the idea of letting him go.  :-\

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the hype, no doubt about it.

I guess it depends on the situation the club is in at the time.  If they're a contender, they need to go for the title.  If not, best to hold on.

Funny thing about the Yankees though - their rep was always free agents, free agents, free agents.....but, during that time over 40% of the roster was generally from their farm.  I guess it just comes down to continuously drafting well to have the balance.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
I guess it depends on the situation the club is in at the time.  If they're a contender, they need to go for the title.  If not, best to hold on.

Funny thing about the Yankees though - their rep was always free agents, free agents, free agents.....but, during that time over 40% of the roster was generally from their farm.  I guess it just comes down to continuously drafting well to have the balance.

What's going on with A-Rod?

Is he going to have any impact whatsoever with The Yankees this year?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
What's going on with A-Rod?

Is he going to have any impact whatsoever with The Yankees this year?

Part of me is holding out hope he'll hit 20-25 HRs because his injuries were degenerative and repaired, and he's had a full year off to get healthy.

The other part of me says he's 39 years old and hasn't played pro baseball in over a year...so.....meh.

Yanks need a lot to click right.  If it does, they can contend.  A few wrinkles, and they'll be in trouble.  ARod performing decently would be nice.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
Part of me is holding out hope he'll hit 20-25 HRs because his injuries were degenerative and repaired, and he's had a full year off to get healthy.

The other part of me says he's 39 years old and hasn't played pro baseball in over a year...so.....meh.

Yanks need a lot to click right.  If it does, they can contend.  A few wrinkles, and they'll be in trouble.  ARod performing decently would be nice.

For some reason that whole story fascinates me more than anything else in this upcoming season.

New York Media. The Fans. His career stats. His past history with PED's. So many factors involved.

Gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
For some reason that whole story fascinates me more than anything else in this upcoming season.

New York Media. The Fans. His career stats. His past history with PED's. So many factors involved.

Gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I don't care for ARod....but it's weird how guys like him and Bonds are vilified, and the most roidy of roiding roiders like Ortiz skate for the most part.  I actually see sox fans mocking ARod for PEDs.  Unbelievable, since Manny and Ortiz are confirmed users who were major parts of their two titles since their drought.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
Yu Darvish Mulls Tommy John Surgery

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Rangers ace Yu Darvish might need season-ending Tommy John surgery after an MRI exam revealed partially torn ligaments in his troublesome right elbow.

Texas general manager Jon Daniels said Saturday that Darvish could try to pitch through the injury, rest it for up to four months or undergo surgery.

Daniels said the club would get a second opinion this weekend but indicated surgery may be the preferred option.

"The concern with the first two options is, are you delaying the inevitable?" Daniels said.

Darvish, a three-time All-Star, was shut down for the final seven weeks last season with inflammation in the same elbow. He underwent an MRI exam around Thanksgiving that came back clean, and had not experienced any trouble in workouts and bullpen sessions.

He first felt tightness while warming up in the bullpen before Thursday's game against Kansas City. He throttled back to protect the elbow while throwing 12 pitches in his only inning. Afterward, Darvish said through a translator he did not think the injury was serious. He had an MRI late Friday.

"I will be disappointed if I have to miss this season, but I want to look at all the options including getting a second opinion before I make a final decision," Darvish said in a statement Saturday. "My heart is with my teammates and our focus remains on accomplishing our goals."

Darvish will remain at camp while a second surgeon studies the MRI exam results. If surgery is required, it would likely happen in the next couple of weeks. That could give Darvish enough time to fully recover before the start of next season.

"Given the news, he's handled it extremely well," Daniels said. "He's very pragmatic about it. He's talking to the people he's close to before making a decision."

The news is a significant blow to the Rangers, who went through a devastating series of injuries last year. The club set a record for most players on a 25-man roster in a single season, and needed 40 pitchers to get through 162 games -- three of them position players. The starting rotation alone required 14 different pitchers, nobody making more than 25 starts.

Darvish was limited to 22 starts between neck stiffness that caused him to miss the beginning of the season the elbow inflammation that caused him to be shut down late in the season.

He was still effective, going 10-7 with a 3.20 ERA. But he seemed to lack the same kind of life on his pitches that he had his first two years, when he was in the running for rookie of the year and then logged more than 200 innings while leading the majors in strikeouts.

"I feel bad for him. I have empathy for him," first-year Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. "No doubt, there's some feeling there. You never feel good about any athlete in any sport that has some obstacles that they need to overcome."

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
My word.  They should just all get the surgery at 12...

It's insane how many pitchers need this.
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »

It's a mechanical issue.  To much torque on the shoulder trying to throw harder.
A

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »

Takes so long to recover from too....They are saying up to 18 months in some cases.  :-\

It's such a freaky deal too. Last week all I'm hearing is "Yu is getting more into the team, working hard on his English, looking good physically"

A few short days later...Tommy John Surgery.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
Cliff Lee: Surgery could possible end career

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee is awaiting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on his ailing left elbow and says surgery would end his season and possibly his career.

The 36-year-old left-hander didn't pitch after July 31 last year because of a flexor pronator strain in his left elbow. He said the elbow felt normal as he threw two scoreless innings Thursday against Houston in his spring training debut, but he felt discomfort the next day. An MRI on Sunday revealed "very mild inflammation," according to general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.

"Basically, if I have the surgery, this season will be done, possibly my career, I guess," Lee said. "I don't know. We'll have to see."

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »
Not called Panda for a reason, eh?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 05:18:43 AM »
Cliff Lee: Surgery could possible end career

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee is awaiting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on his ailing left elbow and says surgery would end his season and possibly his career.

The 36-year-old left-hander didn't pitch after July 31 last year because of a flexor pronator strain in his left elbow. He said the elbow felt normal as he threw two scoreless innings Thursday against Houston in his spring training debut, but he felt discomfort the next day. An MRI on Sunday revealed "very mild inflammation," according to general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.

"Basically, if I have the surgery, this season will be done, possibly my career, I guess," Lee said. "I don't know. We'll have to see."

Am I the only guy looking at his gamer going 'wow?'