Author Topic: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat - 2015 MLB Discussion  (Read 154869 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
Last three years:

Chase Headley: .262/.352/.429   OPS .781    HR 57  WAR: 13.6  dWar 2.4    4 years / 52M
Pablo Sandoval: .280/.335/.424  OPS .759    HR 42  WAR: 8.2    dWar -.1    5 years / 95M

Both players played in pitcher friendly parks for most of that sample.  Sandoval is 2 years younger, and 2 people fatter.

Headley & Sandoval probably are the two "worst" 3rd basemen in the A.L. East (yet will be the highest paid in 2015.)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
Headley & Sandoval probably are the two "worst" 3rd basemen in the A.L. East (yet will be the highest paid in 2015.)

The pay thing is irrelevant since they're the only two that made it to free agency so far.

Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »
The pay thing is irrelevant since they're the only two that made it to free agency so far.

not when Donaldson was (apparently) available with 4 years of control.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
not when Donaldson was (apparently) available with 4 years of control.

Donaldson cost players.  Headley and Sandoval only cost money.

As you've seen the Yankees and the Red Sox are holding on to prospects these days.  Either way, Beane liked what Toronto had to offer.  Nobody knows if he was openly available.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
Donaldson cost players.  Headley and Sandoval only cost money.

As you've seen the Yankees and the Red Sox are holding on to prospects these days.  Either way, Beane liked what Toronto had to offer.  Nobody knows if he was openly available.

yeah but money is not unlimited ... even (apparently) for the Yankees & Red Sox.

top dollar for Sandoval and top dollar for Ramirez means less $ offered to Lester (who would've helped them more than either Panda or Hanley.)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
yeah but money is not unlimited ... even (apparently) for the Yankees & Red Sox.

top dollar for Sandoval and top dollar for Ramirez means less $ offered to Lester (who would've helped them more than either Panda or Hanley.)

Oh I agree on that font.  I get signing one of Ramirez of Sandoval, but not both.  Especially when you're taking a injury ridden SS and making him play LF.

If the vaunted sox farm system was so great as we've been hearing ad naseum, those moves wouldn't have been necessary, unless they flip a bunch of prospects for Hamels/someone.

My main point was that for all the hype about Panda up here, a potentially better player was acquired by their rivals for half the cost.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
My main point was that for all the hype about Panda up here, a potentially better player was acquired by their rivals for half the cost.

Yes, that's true.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
Yes, that's true.

I have NY / Tor vying for the top spot, with Boston/Baltimore in the mix for 3-4.

If NY pitchers Tanaka/Pineda get injured, I drop NY down.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
I have NY / Tor vying for the top spot, with Boston/Baltimore in the mix for 3-4.

If NY pitchers Tanaka/Pineda get injured, I drop NY down.

yeah, it's pretty wide open with no obvious beast in the east this season.

the wind came out of Toronto's sails with Marcus Stroman goin' down ...
but MAYBE - after finishing behind NY for 21 CONSECUTIVE YEARS! lol - 2015 will finally be the year that the Blue Jays top the Yankees to begin the post-Jeter era?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
yeah, it's pretty wide open with no obvious beast in the east this season.

the wind came out of Toronto's sails with Marcus Stroman goin' down ...
but MAYBE - after finishing behind NY for 21 CONSECUTIVE YEARS! lol - 2015 will finally be the year that the Blue Jays top the Yankees to begin the post-Jeter era?

They should have done that last year when Jeter WAS at shortstop.  They've now improved defensively there.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 05:06:38 AM »
OK Joad - waiver wire in FBB opens tonight at nine.  I always grab a few minor league guys who could be call ups, and can do one transaction a day.

I have no backup OFs though......I'm thinking of grabbing Dalton Pompey.  What say you?
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
OK Joad - waiver wire in FBB opens tonight at nine.  I always grab a few minor league guys who could be call ups, and can do one transaction a day.

I have no backup OFs though......I'm thinking of grabbing Dalton Pompey.  What say you?

well, Pompey's gonna get his ABs this season.  They let Rasmus walk and dealt Gose to free up CF for him.  The Jays only other CF option is a guy name Pillar (who injured himself sneezing last week lol) but he's more a 4th OF type.  Pompey will be hitting ninth and not relied on to do very much with the bat ... just has to play solid D and be a smart baserunner.  Who knows how his bat will play this season?  My expectations aren't very high.  He flew thru a lot of levels of baseball last year and got a taste of the big leagues in Sept ... hit his first HR off of King Felix!  At year's end, Pompey could get some Rookie of the Year votes or he could be Jackie Bradley Jr.?  Pompey gets extra hype in Toronto because he's the first local kid to be a starter on the team's opening day lineup in Blue Jays history.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
well, Pompey's gonna get his ABs this season.  They let Rasmus walk and dealt Gose to free up CF for him.  The Jays only other CF option is a guy name Pillar (who injured himself sneezing last week lol) but he's more a 4th OF type.  Pompey will be hitting ninth and not relied on to do very much with the bat ... just has to play solid D and be a smart baserunner.  Who knows how his bat will play this season?  My expectations aren't very high.  He flew thru a lot of levels of baseball last year and got a taste of the big leagues in Sept ... hit his first HR off of King Felix!  At year's end, Pompey could get some Rookie of the Year votes or he could be Jackie Bradley Jr.?  Pompey gets extra hype in Toronto because he's the first local kid to be a starter on the team's opening day lineup in Blue Jays history.
[/b]

Boom...that is context you don't get on the 'net.....thank you.....
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
[/b]

Boom...that is context you don't get on the 'net.....thank you.....

I read a couple days ago that A-Rod cranked another homer and is batting around .270.

Maybe the Yankees have found their DH??

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »
I read a couple days ago that A-Rod cranked another homer and is batting around .270.

Maybe the Yankees have found their DH??

He hit an HR off a 98 mph fastball, so that's good.

But, a season is a long time, not expecting much, but would love it if he's productive.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Red Sox Pablo Sandoval is fat - 2015 MLB Discussion
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:39 AM »
Tom Joad - is Castro officially the closer now?
Y