Author Topic: "How much do you bench?"  (Read 18405 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: "How much do you bench?"
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
I agree and I understand. You have valid reasons to be skeptical. In the end, I know I did and my training buddies know I did so I'm satisfied.

It's believable as there are genuine beasts on this board. I know getbig has two posters who are verified monster benchers - Mike Wolfe (BigBadWolfe) has done massive numbers shirted and Ryan Dewitt (liquid_c) has done +600lbs raw.

Were you competing in PL when you did the +500lb bench?

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
Really?! How many double their bodyweight on the bench WITHOUT the use of drugs? And I'm not talking about the 165-pound guy, either. I am talking about the large man (250+).

To me, this is the serious flaw in thinking as it concerns poundage lifted: Our concept of strong has been SO warped by the several decades of rampant drug/hormone use. We begin to think a 600-pound squat isn't such a big deal; or that a guy who can pull 700 isn't all that terrific a deadlifter.

Seriously, how many on this board can HONESTLY state they've pressed four or greater without the help of steroids? And if you had done them, but were not at the time of your pressing achievement, for what length of time had you been off, prior?

As with everything in this world, it would seem, the world of weight training has become so in incredibly twisted and distorted.

Things have been distorted. Yet only to some extent. Ive done 395 at 183lbs raw in upa, same in usapl. Around 10 years ago... stopped using insulin for 5 years before. Currently just started a traing cycle to compete again. Only doing 360 for pause rep sets right now, going for 165 lb class. However ive also worked out 25 years. Competed with and trained with founders of some of the most popular templates out there, nd been fortunate. If youre around powerlifters (not some guy v running sheiko, cube or some other nonsense) then the numbers you say arent impressive at all. Have you seen some of the recent numers. Things have changed in the last 10 years. This isnt wpo days anymore. I rember training with guys that did 900plus in a shirt. And only 550 raw. Today theres guys at 198lb class and under over 500. The standard in powerlifting has changed. As for guys saying a 3plate bench is rare.
Youre in box gyms. Thats why.
Ive done 4plates in training at bill crawfords years ago. And was one of the weakest people there. Adirondack barbell had teens repping 3 plates. Box gyms and strength gyms arent the same. Anyone remember ken liesters iron island gym?
At 24hour or la fitness these numbers are rare. But at a serious strength gym ive seen women with 3 plates. Granted im also tlking abot gyms where most ofbthe members compete.
i

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
It's believable as there are genuine beasts on this board. I know getbig has two posters who are verified monster benchers - Mike Wolfe (BigBadWolfe) has done massive numbers shirted and Ryan Dewitt (liquid_c) has done +600lbs raw.

Were you competing in PL when you did the +500lb bench?

I wasn't competing but I did train occasionally with members of a PL club in my area.   
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with push ups and Dumbbells Grape. I have always liked Parallel Bar dips more than Bench press too.

I agree.  Now that my shoulder is on the mend, I'd love to do dips again.  We used to go nuts on those - 3 plates on the belt.  Probably another reason my shoulders got fried.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »
I do a lot of dumbell and machine work myself.   325 at 175 is damn good.

Thanks.  I actually used the Sean Phillips routine "how to increase your bench press 50lbs in seven weeks"....I truly believe it works.  After that rep, I put 225 on and got 18.  It's been all down hill since that.....today, if i get under, say the squat bar with 325, I can't imagine how I could ever have benched it.

And I get that it's not much weight for the seriously strong people, like what you did, but as a natural ecto with shitty muscle bellies, I'll take it.
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »
Thanks.  I actually used the Sean Phillips routine "how to increase your bench press 50lbs in seven weeks"....I truly believe it works.  After that rep, I put 225 on and got 18.  It's been all down hill since that.....today, if i get under, say the squat bar with 325, I can't imagine how I could ever have benched it.

And I get that it's not much weight for the seriously strong people, like what you did, but as a natural ecto with shitty muscle bellies, I'll take it.

I admit I wasn't natural at the time. I used that routine.
A

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
About sixty pounds heavier. Three strick reps to the chest no assistance. And no bitch ass bench shirt  Ive got a degenerative form of arthritis and stopped lifting heavy and have slimmed down a lot. My body couldn't handle the weight anymore.  I had surgery for a torn labrum in late 08 and that was it for super heavy lifting for me. I tore my labrum playing baseball and it only got worse over the years until I got it fixed.

not judging at all... i totally beleive you. But were you all natural during this time? Im asking because Im doing an informal information gathering expedition for myself on juices and heavy lifting and its effects on joints, actually connective tissue to be more specific.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »
not judging at all... i totally beleive you. But were you all natural during this time? Im asking because Im doing an informal information gathering expedition for myself on juices and heavy lifting and its effects on joints, actually connective tissue to be more specific.

You missed it - see above...not natural.

I should send you my surgery pics so you could tell me if I'm f'd or not.   ;D
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »

Dbol and low dose test but not the whole time.  I was only on a short six week cycle at the time. I wasn't a regular user.  I've done three short cycles in twenty-five years.  The third cycle was abandoned after I got pneumonia.
A

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
I never attempted a single, but in 1991 I hit 315 for 3 reps at 170lbs... not bad for my small boned frame.  In my experience, a persons joint/bone size is the major factor in how much someone can handle.  Notices how all mega-benchers have huge wrists and joints.  If you are small boned, forget about benching big weights.

During the last 30 years, I've seen many guys get hurt while attempting 1 rep maxes... a few almost killed themselves.  Barbell benching eventually destroys your shoulders.  IMO, guys over 40 should not be heavy/max benching.  

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
Dbol and low dose test but not the whole time.  I was only on a short six week cycle at the time. I wasn't a regular user.  I've done three short cycles in twenty-five years.  The third cycle was abandoned after I got pneumonia.

Correction.  Anadrol and low dose test cycle.  I had to think about it.
A

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
Correction.  Anadrol and low dose test cycle.  I had to think about it.

ok.. thanks. thats not really "Use" for the parameters Im researching. Im actually looking for more of the, "Regular User" that might have a pro longed effect on connective tissue.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »
ok.. thanks. thats not really "Use" for the parameters Im researching. Im actually looking for more of the, "Regular User" that might have a pro longed effect on connective tissue.

My joint issues are primarily genetic.
A

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
You missed it - see above...not natural.

I should send you my surgery pics so you could tell me if I'm f'd or not.   ;D

i was talking about Archer... 3 short cycles in 25 years is still pretty natural in my book.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
Many many moons ago when I was a younger man
And into powerlifting.
At age 21 bdywght of 75kg I benched 180kg in comp
No gear ever at that time.
Best Poundages to Bodyweight for me was in my
Mid 30's around 92/3kg & 210kg bench
Was using by this time though Into bodybuilding
Not powerlifting.

Mind in the gym the other day was a disabled man
Missing most of one leg & the other from knee down.
@ 62kg he benches 190kg.. :o
Awesome.

Thedragonborn

• Getbig I
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:38 PM »
My friend claims to be natural but he benches 405x10

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »
315 C+J>405 Bench

Too bad it's not even a close comparison. It's like comparing a plank to a deadlift.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »
My friend claims to be natural but he benches 405x10

I hope all of your friends don't lie to you

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »

Bret Contreras bugs the hell out of me. His arrogance is worthy of a bitch slap.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »
i was talking about Archer... 3 short cycles in 25 years is still pretty natural in my book.

I was talking about archer too...he posted he was not natural right above your post.
Y

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
Never been much of a presser. I maxed 315 with a pause years ago when my shoulders were younger, while squats and deads are both in the 525+ range. I usually go no heavier than 275 for 3-4 reps these days.
A

ramana

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
people still dont realize that "strength" on the "hardcore" exercises doesnt really mean much in terms of bodybuilding

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
Almost all of my time and energy is spent on sets of 5-15 reps of the big compound exercises, and 8-15 reps on most of the secondary and "isolation" stuff. I rarely go below 5-6 reps on much of anything - rack pulls / deads, and the occasional 3-4 rep set on the bench being the primary exceptions.
A

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
The joint problems actually arent just from the heavy weight. First steroids will greatly inhibit longevity. You dont need imbalance between muscles, tendons, ligaments. Notice natural benchers competing 20 years plus.Second, many are actually doing hypertrophy training. All that added volume will break you down over the long run. Third bad form to lift heavy. Benching like a bb and not staying tight. Horrible For longevity.
Havent competed in years. Meet this summer. Like to do not talK. But the current 165 usapl bench record is the goal... after that the all time regardless of fed.

Quality post here. Read it and learn, folks.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
this has been posted before but well...i know it´s not really funny but FFS...

LOL......hahahahhaha.... ..if I was in the room, I wouldn't assist