Author Topic: "How much do you bench?"  (Read 18481 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: "How much do you bench?"
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »
he has his head so far up his cottage cheese ass that he wouldnt know how bad he looked if he was in a house of mirrors

LOL.. Ok, that was funny  :D

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
Really?! How many double their bodyweight on the bench WITHOUT the use of drugs? And I'm not talking about the 165-pound guy, either. I am talking about the large man (250+).

To me, this is the serious flaw in thinking as it concerns poundage lifted: Our concept of strong has been SO warped by the several decades of rampant drug/hormone use. We begin to think a 600-pound squat isn't such a big deal; or that a guy who can pull 700 isn't all that terrific a deadlifter.

Seriously, how many on this board can HONESTLY state they've pressed four or greater without the help of steroids? And if you had done them, but were not at the time of your pressing achievement, for what length of time had you been off, prior?

As with everything in this world, it would seem, the world of weight training has become so in incredibly twisted and distorted.

Exactly... There's this pudgy Italian at work, 40 years old, lives alone, he dresses like Charlie Sheen and Mr. Rogers had a 3-way with Lawrence Welk, very odd dude. (Picture Charlie Sheen attire, plus a sweater vest, and a long sleeve dress shirt) (Kook).
He told me recently "I used to bench 325, double my body weight back in my 20's in the Air Force". I said "No you didn't, you must have your poundage's wrong".
I told him its a running joke in the iron game, everyone says "I used to  bench 300 lbs." Naturally, he stormed off with his twinkle toe'd strut.

If you saw the guy you'd laugh. 5' 7" or so, 160 lbs, with a fairly large gut (Not a lick of muscle or tone)... Receding greasy hairline, lives alone, does his garden (maybe nude men on weekends in private?? I dont know but I suspect things).

I dont care if so, but he always talks (over does it) about women. (Ive known him 8 years, never had a girlfriend or date)...

Some people just need to slice their wrist like a cheese pizza...

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
LOL.. Ok, that was funny  :D

No, it IS funny, for sure.  ;D

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »

a lot of girls are doing that on the leg curl machine. Looks kinda hot!
?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
There was some guy at my gym who was a former football player. I believe he played 1 year for the miami dolphins. He was 6'9" and about 310-320. Dude was juiced to the gills. Was benching 5 plates a side for reps. He used to incline press the 170 pd dumbbells for reps. Guy was insane.
X

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 05:51:36 AM »
Back when i gave shit to bench i hit 495,dont bench any more at all.Last time i benched was a couple years ago and got 205 for 50.now prob get 225 for 10 if i was lucky.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 07:01:20 AM »
At my max I benched 525.  Now I bench around 225 for reps.  I'm as skinny as a rail these days but I feel good.
Shit!!!

how much did you weigh when you got 525

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »
Shit!!!

how much did you weigh when you got 525

About sixty pounds heavier. Three strick reps to the chest no assistance. And no bitch ass bench shirt  Ive got a degenerative form of arthritis and stopped lifting heavy and have slimmed down a lot. My body couldn't handle the weight anymore.  I had surgery for a torn labrum in late 08 and that was it for super heavy lifting for me. I tore my labrum playing baseball and it only got worse over the years until I got it fixed.
A

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
About sixty pounds heavier. Three strick reps to the chest no assistance. And no bitch ass bench shirt  Ive got a degenerative form of arthritis and stopped lifting heavy and have slimmed down a lot. My body couldn't handle the weight anymore.  I had surgery for a torn labrum in late 08 and that was it for super heavy lifting for me. I tore my labrum playing baseball and it only got worse over the years until I got it fixed.

That's the classic story huh?

That heavy ass weight plays hell on the joints.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »
That's the classic story huh?

That heavy ass weight plays hell on the joints.

It definitely is the classic story.  I'm getting close to forty and I don't want to be all mangled when I retire. I feel better smaller and way more spry.  When I get above 240 my body starts to ache.
A

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 07:26:01 AM »

Pic taken a ;D ;D ;D ;D i think that chrome Russian Olympic set is now in the possession of one william pearl whom stern trained early on....
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
I'm in that lightweight mode that Fortress mention, but I did do 325 at 175 ish, but that was without proper bench form.....Probably could have work up to double body weight if I had known about proper technique, deloading principles, etc....

But I ran into the same issues as archer - degeneration in the shoulders where bone hit bone.  Just got the second shoulder fixed up.  Although I could bench again, it'll probably be dumbbells and pushups from here on in.

If the internet was the way it is now back then, I think I could have avoided a lot of problems.
Y

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:29 AM »
I'm in that lightweight mode that Fortress mention, but I did do 325 at 175 ish, but that was without proper bench form.....Probably could have work up to double body weight if I had known about proper technique, deloading principles, etc....

But I ran into the same issues as archer - degeneration in the shoulders where bone hit bone.  Just got the second shoulder fixed up.  Although I could bench again, it'll probably be dumbbells and pushups from here on in.

If the internet was the way it is now back then, I think I could have avoided a lot of problems.

Holy shit thats a good bench bro! I can barely do that at 200lbs lol

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:50 AM »

But I ran into the same issues as archer - degeneration in the shoulders where bone hit bone.  Just got the second shoulder fixed up.  Although I could bench again, it'll probably be dumbbells and pushups from here on in.
Nothing wrong with push ups and Dumbbells Grape. I have always liked Parallel Bar dips more than Bench press too.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »

But I ran into the same issues as archer - degeneration in the shoulders where bone hit bone.  Just got the second shoulder fixed up.  Although I could bench again, it'll probably be dumbbells and pushups from here on in.

I do a lot of dumbell and machine work myself.   325 at 175 is damn good.
A

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »
I've been across numerous gyms in London over the past decade, some commercial and some more hardcore. During that time, I can probably count (with one hand) the amount of times I've seen a legit +400lb press performed. Even 315 is a rare occurrence.
Seems to be standard lift on the internet though. :D

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
I've been across numerous gyms in London over the past decade, some commercial and some more hardcore. During that time, I can probably count (with one hand) the amount of times I've seen a legit +400lb press performed. Even 315 is a rare occurrence.

I think it's customary to double your bench numbers on the Internet, it's also customary to call out the other motherfuckers doing it.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »

I get that.  Who is going to believe me on the internet.  It took me close to a decade to get up to that weight.  I know people like to lie and exaggerate on the Internet but you're going to have to trust me.
A

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2015, 07:47:19 AM »
I get that.  Who is going to believe me on the internet.  It took me close to a decade to get up to that weight.  I know people like to lie and exaggerate on the Internet but you're going to have to trust me.

Hard to take you seriously when you have "Team Shizzo" in your profile.  :D

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
The joint problems actually arent just from the heavy weight. First steroids will greatly inhibit longevity. You dont need imbalance between muscles, tendons, ligaments. Notice natural benchers competing 20 years plus.Second, many are actually doing hypertrophy training. All that added volume will break you down over the long run. Third bad form to lift heavy. Benching like a bb and not staying tight. Horrible For longevity.
Havent competed in years. Meet this summer. Like to do not talK. But the current 165 usapl bench record is the goal... after that the all time regardless of fed.
i

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2015, 07:49:57 AM »
Hard to take you seriously when you have "Team Shizzo" in your profile.  :D

Damn, that was a harsh burn.  You got me knooger. I'll change it to team knooger
A

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »

I'm not necessarily saying you're lying (or anyone in this thread is for that matter) but it's just that there clearly is a trend for people to exaggerate their strength on internet boards.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm not necessarily saying you're lying (or anyone in this thread is for that matter) but it's just that there clearly is a trend for people to exaggerate their strength on internet boards.

I agree and I understand. You have valid reasons to be skeptical. In the end, I know I did and my training buddies know I did so I'm satisfied.
A

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »
 ive got a custom bench so im able to have one bar for each arm with a modest 8plates on each bar which I bang out for reps just to warm up, get the blood flowing you know before I do my actual lifts lads