Author Topic: Diet guru's what's your take on "net carbs"  (Read 5956 times)

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
Diet guru's what's your take on "net carbs"
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Starting to see this more and more so I did a little research on this.

Basically the theory that since sugar alcohols and fibers are either slowly digested or not absorbed at all there is little to no insulin spike. So you subtract those carbs from fiber and sugar alcohol from the other carbs and you get be carbs

So let's say a protein bar is 30g total but 20of it is from fiber the bar "really" only has 10g of carbs

There seems to be no real studies that I can find to support these claims and none of it is backed by the FDA

Seems like bullshit and started to pop up around the same time the IIFYM People did.

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Diet guru's what's your take on "net carbs"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
they're still calories but I'd say they're more bb'er friendly than taking in sugar.
?

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:42:48 AM »
they're still calories but I'd say they're more bb'er friendly than taking in sugar.

Id agree with that, they are better then sugars for sure. But should I really look at say a quest bar that label says 30g but the net value is only 4. So if I was Keto style deit could I eat 4 and still stay Keto??    Would my body only see 16g or 120?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
Id agree with that, they are better then sugars for sure. But should I really look at say a quest bar that label says 30g but the net value is only 4. So if I was Keto style deit could I eat 4 and still stay Keto??    Would my body only see 16g or 120?

Good question. When I would cut carbs and feel super drained, I'd eat a quest bar and felt great. Was it because I had carbs or just the satisfying taste of the bar that gave me such a boost?

IF... they could keep you in ketosis, pretty sure they would be SCREAMING those claims to boost sales, so based on that, I'd say they won't keep you keto.
?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »
It's bullshit. This net carbs BS was started by the Atkins Diet plan after Dr. Atkins sold his name, diet, copyrights, and trademarks to a corporation. The corporation perverted his diet to sell products. So in the name of net carbs they started selling "low" carb candy bars, muffin mix, pancake mix, and a slew of other products, that make you fat, and at best slow your body fat loss. Other companies, with a diet and/or products to sell have taken up the scam. It's for people who want to pretend to be on a diet to lose body fat. Goes well combined with a Planet Fitness membership, for getting in shape.

If you want to lose body fat, and keep it off, then don't eat carbs at all. Everything else is just a case of fuckingarounditis.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
If you want to lose body fat, and keep it off, then don't eat carbs at all. Everything else is just a case of fuckingarounditis.

I've lost plenty of fat and kept it off eating carbs.
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
stay away from sugar alcohols.  They are sugar.  The same way a beer with 20 grams of sugar can claim 40 calories.  math never adds up

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
On a positive note, sugar alcohols can make you shit, so you end up lookin' leaner...
?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
I've lost plenty of fat and kept it off eating carbs.

What about the vast majority of fat people, who aren't endowed with a "special metabolism" such as you claim to have? Low carb works better that any other diet, for the majority of people, because eating carbs is what caused the obesity epidemic in this country.

Why don't you want fat people to lose their blubber? Why do you not want anyone to even try a diet that really works for the vast majority of fat people? What's your problem? No one is stopping you from stuffing your face with carbs, if that's what you want to do.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
What about the vast majority of fat people

It is too late for them and they should be put in a special camp.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
What about the vast majority of fat people, who aren't endowed with a "special metabolism" such as you claim to have? Low carb works better that any other diet, for the majority of people, because eating carbs is what caused the obesity epidemic in this country.

Why don't you want fat people to lose their blubber? Why do you not want anyone to even try a diet that really works for the vast majority of fat people? What's your problem? No one is stopping you from stuffing your face with carbs, if that's what you want to do.

Where did I claim my metabolism was anything special?

The workouts I did burned anywhere from 800-1200 calories.  I ate carbs and lost fat.  The math works.  There was no fuckarounditis, in fact quite the opposite.
Y

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »

The workouts I did burned anywhere from 800-1200 calories.  I ate carbs and lost fat.  The math works.  There was no fuckarounditis, in fact quite the opposite.

Of course that's true but good luck convincing that guy...

?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »

Why do you care if others go low carb? You worked out. Even without working out, you WILL lose body fat on a keto diet.

I said your metabolism is special, because I know you didn't get fat loss on your diet alone.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
It's idiotic.

While those carbs might not raise insulin as much, they're still going to be utilized by your metabolism, as opposed to the fat in your fat cells.

That said, this type of absurd logic works well on fat people who are forever looking for another pretext to stuff their faces.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
Why do you care if others go low carb? You worked out. Even without working out, you WILL lose body fat on a keto diet.

I said your metabolism is special, because I know you didn't get fat loss on your diet alone.

At what point in this did I ever express any opinion about the effectiveness of low carb and whether I care others use it?  Never, that's the angle you created for some reason.  I've used low carb before and it works.

But your statement about anything other than low carb being fuckingarounditis is completely 100% wrong.  That is the only topic I was discussing.
Y

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »
At what point in this did I ever express any opinion about the effectiveness of low carb and whether I care others use it?  Never, that's the angle you created for some reason.  I've used low carb before and it works.

But your statement about anything other than low carb being fuckingarounditis is completely 100% wrong.  That is the only topic I was discussing.

No. You said you ate carbs and lost body fat. You didn't respond to the OP question, and you didn't say low carb worked. You said you ate carbs and lost body fat. You failed to mention that you exercised your ass off too, which is not necessary to do on a low carb diet, to lose body fat. Most people will not, under any circumstances, exercise their ass off on any diet, but they can still lose their body fat on a keto diet, without exercising at all, and keto is the only diet that they can do that on.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »
No. You said you ate carbs and lost body fat. You didn't respond to the OP question, and you didn't say low carb worked. You said you ate carbs and lost body fat. You failed to mention that you exercised your ass off too, which is not necessary to do on a low carb diet, to lose body fat. Most people will not, under any circumstances, exercise their ass off on any diet, but they can still lose their body fat on a keto diet, without exercising at all, and keto is the only diet that they can do that on.

My response was not to the OP, it was to your incorrect statement about anything other than low carb being fuckingarounditis.  Which is why I quoted it.

If I was going to respond to the OP, I would have.......quoted the OP.
Y

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
"No real studies"

Yes there are. I've posted about it before. Glycerol does not count as "energy" IIRC.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
My response was not to the OP, it was to your incorrect statement about anything other than low carb being fuckingarounditis.  Which is why I quoted it.

If I was going to respond to the OP, I would have.......quoted the OP.

And as I explained to you over and over: you ate carbs and lost body fat, not because you ate carbs, but because you exercised your ass off. Keto type diet is the only diet that you will lose body fat with out exercise. Do any other diet without exercise, and you will lose zero body fat. So do you understand now why I called doing anything else, a case of fuckingarounditis? Stop eating carbs and the body fat melts away.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »
Sugar alcohol, I have heard mixed opinions on it.  However fiber cannot be digested therefore shouldn't really be counted as a true carb.  As for low carb diets...   They can without a doubt get you lean quicker that just about any other type of diet I have tried.  They however fail for most people trying to gain muscle mass and are horrific if your goal is maximum strength and performance. 

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
  They however fail for most people trying to gain muscle mass and are horrific if your goal is maximum strength and performance. 

Not true. The problem that those training for muscle mass, maximum strength, and performance, who go on a low carb diet, have, is that they fail to up their fat and protein intake, resulting in them also doing a low calorie diet. Not good for any of the above mentioned goals.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
I think you are looking for an excuse to eat crap. Stick to yams oats and rice. Keep things simple and get in shape for once

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
I think you are looking for an excuse to eat crap. Stick to yams oats and rice. Keep things simple and get in shape for once
TRIED AND TRUE..

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
Not true. The problem that those training for muscle mass, maximum strength, and performance, who go on a low carb diet, have, is that they fail to up their fat and protein intake, resulting in them also doing a low calorie diet. Not good for any of the above mentioned goals.

I have to disagree.  No amount of fat you can consume can compensate for a huge loss of carbs.  Carbs are not necessary, and yes your body can function fully on fat.  However this does not mean this is optimal for certain goals.  Carbs are the muscles primary source of fuel for a reason.  It is possible there are some people with odd genetics who can make more use of fat and lose less strength than others.  However I know of no powerlifters or strong men going for their max performance who eat a very low carb diet.  Most heavily carb load as much as they possibly can.  Especially if there is a 24 hour weigh in period.  I also know of very few bodybuilders that go ultra low carb in the offseason trying to add muscle.  The only times most people hear of ultra low carb diets are when people are trying to lose bodyfat and or stay very lean.  I can't recall any bodybuilder saying "time to add mass, I better cut all the carbs out and up my fat."   It all depends on what your goals are.    

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
I learned this shit before you were even born mike just keep eating roids like u do sugar alcohols my /\/igga
A