Author Topic: Very stubborn calves..  (Read 8318 times)

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
Very stubborn calves..
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »
CALF TRAINING CONCEPTUAL KNOWLEDGE
I understand the frustration one can have in trying to move heaven and earth in an attempt to build their calves. I myself have carried this heavy burden for years. For the majority of people who experience this level of difficulty in obtaining superior calf development, the problem usually stems from having what is referred to as high calf inserts of the gastrocnemius muscle, with what appears to be little or no development of the soleus muscle. This is a genetic drawback. Before I take you deeper, Let me make clear that I understand about fast-and slow-twitch muscle fiber classifications and the relationship of these fibers to the individual calf muscles. What this classification of fast-and slow-twitch fibers indicates is that one muscle, the soleus, uses oxygen with greater efficiency, which allows for a higher rate of supplying fuel (ATP) to the muscle, thereby increasing endurance. This difference between fast-and slow-twitch muscle fibers is not indicative of how you should train calves. I also understand that the soleus, when the knee is in a bent position, is activated more than the gastrocnemius when the calf is contracted during exercise. (1) Here is problem number one. You have been led to believe that when training calves, higher reps are required for building mass for the soleus or the calves in general, due to the classification of muscle fiber type, which is incorrect. (2) Here is number two. You have been led to believe that soleus work should be primarily exercised when you have poor calf genetics or high inserts. This concept has been perpetuated by the premise that working the soleus will give you more of a flare to your genetically poor, high-inserted gastrocnemius muscles. This could hold true if you were born with a great pair of soleus muscles. Unfortunately, many were not. (3) Problem three. You have been influenced by the belief that you must fully stretch your calves on the negative portion of each repetition. This overstretching of the Achilles tendon limits the total amount of weight that can be used in the performance of your set. This limitation of the weight used when one is overstretching is self-defeating. You’re also at risk of an injury, as the calves themselves, unlike the tendons, can take heavy resistance, even when you are overstretching. If you are genetically blessed with great calf symmetry and are not looking for an alternative method to add more size, you can stick with your customary routine. If you are genetically challenged, in that your soleus muscles are poorly developed in relationship to your high-inserted gastrocnemius muscles, you will not be able to place enough stress on the stubborn soleus muscles, when you are in a seated position, to stimulate new growth. Many, if not all, of you, have included seated calf raises in your calf routines, and are aware that you cannot perform this exercise using the maximum weight that can be handled with other calf exercises. If you want your calves to increase in size and hardness, despite any genetic disadvantage, this is what I recommend. Do not perform any direct soleus work that involves the use of a seated calf machine. You cannot, in a seated position, exert an appropriate amount of resistance on the muscle. It will not happen, and you will be wasting your time. Dorian Yates advocates that if you are going to do seated calf raises, you perform in the 4-6 rep range, using an incredibly heavy weight, as he is aware that in this bent-knee position, it is almost impossible to apply the amount of resistance needed to stimulate growth. Further, Dorian’s recommendation is for trainees who have favorable calf genetics. If you do not, you must perform a calf exercise that is designed primarily to stimulate the gastrocnemius muscle. A standing, toe-press, or donkey-calf-raise exercise, when you keep your knees slightly bent, will maximally engage, with appropriate tension, both calf muscles. The calves contain muscles that do not need to be placed in a fully stretched down position, contrary to popular belief. As stated above, this overstretching of the Achilles tendon limits the total amount of weight that can be used in the performance of your set. This limitation of the weight used when one is overstretching is self-defeating. Envision you are performing a standing calf raise on a smith machine your toes are elevated by placing the balls of your feet on 2.5lb weight plate placed flat on the floor. This is a very small elevation that would result in very little downward stretch during the negative. I have spoken to a professional bodybuilder that said no stretch is appropriate. For maximum calf development you should use an extremely heavy resistance for 4-8 repetitions that place the calf muscles under tension for 45 second plus, while keeping your knees slightly bent and minimizing the negative stretch. Maximum calf development is based on the amount of resistance during the peak contraction of the calf muscles, not the negative stretch. The amount of resistance that you would normally use will increase dramatically from nearly eliminating a negative stretch. This elimination of a stretch coupled with a greater increase in resistance will shock the calf muscles into new growth with no injury to the tendon. 2-3 all out maximum sets performed every 5th day, as described, is all you will need to turn your calves into a complimentary body part.

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
Re: Very stubborn calves..
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
From pathetic to so so...

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
YouTube search ryan ergo and you will find video's on my calf training. Notice the bands I use in conjunction with free weights this is crucial tension required for forcing the calves to grow. Instrumental for myself!

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
I spent the better part of my life deranged by shitty ass calves. Don't even ask "did you try this" yes... I did.

Listen man... More than anything, calves are genetics, accept this now or waste and burn your CNS doing all sorts of crazy shit to maybe gain 3/4 inch to which nobody will ever notice.

The solution?
Glad you asked.

There are 2.
Synthol
or
implants.

Accept it or be very frustrated for a very long time.
?

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
I spent the better part of my life deranged by shitty ass calves. Don't even ask "did you try this" yes... I did.

Listen man... More than anything, calves are genetics, accept this now or waste and burn your CNS doing all sorts of crazy shit to maybe gain 3/4 inch to which nobody will ever notice.

The solution?
Glad you asked.

There are 2.
Synthol
or
implants.

this.
T

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »

The solution?
Glad you asked.

There are 2.
Synthol
or
implants.

I'm very glad I did not think this way. I never train calves with out using professional bands attached to the machine for a greater TUT. I like many require a higher level of continuous TUT that bands will create. If you want to stay a defeatist then do. I would evaluate what I'm talking about here and try it.  I show how in my video's using bands for calves. I did feel for the longest time the way you feel and contemplated implants I'm extremely pleased now and receive compliments. band resistance will maximize tension throughout the phase of the rep and create extra negative damage. Consider it before totally saying fuck it. I'm glad really glad I did!

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
Not the best pic. You can see the bands attached to this machine. Initially 400 pounds to start 1000 pounds or more at peak contraction and a very damaging pull into the negative...

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:27 PM »
I have very high inserts with little to no soleus development. Implementing a higher level of resistance with bands allowed me to finally add almost 2 inches in 3 years, after 20 years of no results. I will take 17 inch high shredded rock hard hockey pucks any day over what was my pathetic 15 inch hide behind sweat pants calves any day. I worked extremely hard with insane intensity using bands and the manner in which I described above and it worked a miracle for me.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:17:09 PM »
I have very high inserts with little to no soleus development. Implementing a higher level of resistance with bands allowed me to finally add almost 2 inches in 3 years, after 20 years of no results. I will take 17 inch high shredded rock hard hockey pucks any day over what was my pathetic 15 inch hide behind sweat pants calves any day. I worked extremely hard with insane intensity using bands and the manner in which I described above and it worked a miracle for me.

Great that it worked for you!
I flotter between 16-17 inchers. Only thing that ever made them a bit bigger was gaining weight. But as everything else gets bigger, they will always look out of proprotion. Meh, rest of me is rather good, so not so bad, lol...
?

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
I used the mtwain calve training method in the sticky thread and so far it's been working pretty good I get the most enormous painful pump at the end of the set and am borderline crying when I finish. I have the worst calve genetics hopefully this will add some size

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
if calves are so genetics why the oak built his so much in four years . 35 years ago .

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
if calves are so genetics why the oak built his so much in four years . 35 years ago .

Maybe for the same reason he's still got good calves today...

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »

probably because when they were not up to par, he did not put full effort into it.
?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
Thanks for your information
I like your videos and will try your advice tomorrow
w

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
probably because when they were not up to par, he did not put full effort into it.

Yeh, he never trained them seriously early on, he built the muscles that count, chest,arms,back, thighs....

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:46 AM »
arnold got results .robby robinson trained calves hard but well they were never great . yes some genetics ask dickerson.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »

because the insertions are already low enough to begin with...
T

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »
yes arnold calves were not that high like say grant . or even lou ferrigno . robby never got boyer coe calves . even lee haney calves didnt seems to be that great. for a multi olympia. winner

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 03:18:40 AM »
Not dissing on ergo and his training expertise, but take away the gear and those calves turn back into shin bine connected to his knees

I have a similar thing with my neck and forearms...