Author Topic: Looking for a good gym in Chicago.  (Read 11016 times)

boxerz1

• Getbig II
  • deeet da dee
Looking for a good gym in Chicago.
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »
Im looking for a good gym in the Chicago area.  I will be there on business in march and would like to trin in my freetime .... any help would be appreciated...
I lost my ass in Vegas

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Looking for a good gym in Chicago.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
Where will you be staying, we got a shitload of gym.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
Quads

boxerz1

• Getbig II
  • deeet da dee
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:11:01 PM »
I will be staying in the Oak Brook Area.  Ive looked for a few on the net but wanted to hear from someone that actually uses one...
I lost my ass in Vegas

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:18 PM »
I will be staying in the Oak Brook Area.  Ive looked for a few on the net but wanted to hear from someone that actually uses one...
Quads is in Wrigleyville....that would be quite a ride for ya....sorry, not familiar with the Oak Brook area...

boxerz1

• Getbig II
  • deeet da dee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »
Try Brian Boitano's Light Stretch and Pilates Center.  I heard its fantastic!

No thanks Dicks are for chicks
I lost my ass in Vegas

boxerz1

• Getbig II
  • deeet da dee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 09:22:27 PM »
Quads looks cool but is a liitle far somthing like 30 minutes acording to MSN maps... Kinda like to find one near the Drake Wyndam Hotel In Oak Brook.  Thats where i'm staying There website says they have a fitness center but probably is actually 1 exercise bike and 2 pairs of 25lb db's
I lost my ass in Vegas

boxerz1

• Getbig II
  • deeet da dee
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »
I found one called USA GYM in Bridgeview. Website says its a new gym but no pics to see what it looks like.
I lost my ass in Vegas

bestposer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 01:24:49 PM »
Go to Xsport Fitness in Lombard.  It's on Roosevelt rd, not too far from your hotel.  Take rt.83 north to roosevelt rd and head west and you can't miss it, right by I-355.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »
I found one called USA GYM in Bridgeview. Website says its a new gym but no pics to see what it looks like.
when I use to live in chicago I went to USA gym very cool gym also Chuck Santos owns it......it's not a far ride either.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
I train at an XSport Gym in Darien on 75th Street and Lemont Road. From where you are at, you would go south on Rt. 83 to 75th Street, take a right and go several blocks to Lemont Road. It's on your left hand side. It's open 24 hours, 7 days a week. I would recommend that XSport or the one in Lombard.

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 08:43:46 PM »
Go to Xsport Fitness in Lombard.  It's on Roosevelt rd, not too far from your hotel.  Take rt.83 north to roosevelt rd and head west and you can't miss it, right by I-355.

I heard that was pretty good myself.
JM

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
Dear Friends
Kind regards
There are many good gyms in Chicago but my favourite would be Quads, although it is frequented by several homosexuals, but i guess most gyms are.
Yours Thankfully
John

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
X-Sport is a good gym, used to be a Powerhouse until they were bought out. They have good equiptment but the staff is really pushy for sales and stuff.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
Hit up the XSport, I go to the one in Piper's Alley and have been to most of them.  Just say you moved to the area and want to grab a workout and see the place, or else they'll charge you $20.

Quads has turned pretty gay recently but it's still decent.

Is there a Lifetime Fitness out there?  They're huge and have everything.

bestposer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »
I train at an XSport Gym in Darien on 75th Street and Lemont Road. From where you are at, you would go south on Rt. 83 to 75th Street, take a right and go several blocks to Lemont Road. It's on your left hand side. It's open 24 hours, 7 days a week. I would recommend that XSport or the one in Lombard.
Sup John!

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
  I wouldnt reccomend ANY of the X-SPORT Gyms. They may have a couple close to where you are staying but I'm going to warn you now. The split second you walk in their doors...you will have at least 6 salespeople humping your leg trying to get you to buy something. I have no problems with people on comission trying to make a living but I never been hassled so much by salespeople than at an X-Sport Gym. If you even make eye contact with a staff member...they will approach you and try to make you buy a tanning package or buy a lifetime membership. They do have some nice equipment and its bodybuilder friendly for the most part but if you dont like pushy salespeople that just dont get all you want is to pay for this ONE little waterbottle and DO NOT want a whole case and a super-tanning package and the whole line of "their own" supplement line and about the great deal if you sign up your grandmother if you put $50 down NOW. So it's up to you.

Otherwise take the trek to USA GYM in Bridgeview. IFBB PRO Chuck Sanow runs a great gym. Very serious facility. Cool staff people. You'll feel very welcome there. If you're interested in real hardcore G-Y-M-S...USA is one, there's BULLDOGS GYM on 67th street/Lavergne Ave. Lance's Gym on south Archer Ave. Or Pumps Gym on 43rd street off the Dan Ryan expressway. Those gyms are the kinds of places that encourage real down and dirty training. Chalk, 100lb plates galore, old school Nautilus machines the works! Go to any one of those gyms on a Monday night you will see majority of guys there squatting and deadlifting instead of pumping their chest and biceps up. From Oak Brook...they are pretty accessible. Just a tip...

?

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »
I agree with Blockhead about the staff at all the XSport Gyms. It's all about the sales and they don't give a shit about the members. However, if you're looking for a well equipped gym that's close to Oak Brook, I would recommend on of those XSport Gyms. If you want to go to Chuck's gym in Bridgeview, you'll have to hop on the expressway (294 South) and get off on 95th Street. Take that to Harlem Ave. (43) south and turn right on 100th Street. Go all the way down to the end of the block and USA Gym is right past the intersection on your left. I think they are open until 8pm on Sat and 6pm on Sunday.

clever_username

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 03:20:23 PM »
I was on assignment near Darien for 3 months, and trainied at the Xsport at 75th and Lemont which Natural_O mentioned above. It's average size as far as old Powerhouse Gyms go, but they cram a ton of good equipment choices in that space. I signed up for a year membership (knowing I'd be gone after 3 months), and there was no problem getting a prorated refund once I left.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »

I think there are alot of 'hidden gems' gyms in Chicago. Too bad most people only know X-Sports. The only X-Sports I would reccomend anyway is the one on Elston Ave. They cater to the hardcore crowd. If you go there in the morning...the sun shines in right through the windows, they play hard rock and metal and you'll see competitors in there really pushing themselves. Last time I was in there Jay Cutler's dvd(Ripped/Shreds) was playing on all the televisions which are like 50 of them on this one giant wall in the weight room. That was pretty neat...motivated you a little more. Just keep the COMMANDMENTS of entering an XSPORT Gym in mind...no eye-contact with any staff member, dont walk within 15' of the pro-shop and stay the hell away from the front counters. If you can...keep a real pissed of "dont fk with me" look on your face. 99% of the staff at all those gyms are completely not into fitness or even know anything about training or BB or anything so they would probably be intimidated to talk to you or try to hustle you.

I'll let all the Chicagoans here know a GREAT facility to train on the northwest side of the city. WORLD GYM on Irving/Harlem. I'm buds with one of the staff members there...so he lets me in to train once in a while. It isnt the biggest gym...I'd say about 7000 sq feet. it's in the basement of this ghetto-type mall called 'The Hip'. Has GREAT strength equipment...NEBULA and HAMMER STRENGTH. It has that leg press Ronnie made famous in his 'Redemption video'. Staff there are'nt by any means pushy and dont embarass themselves. Laid back. Very clean but hardcore at the same time. No problems with bringing chalk in or getting gritty. My only problem is the dumbbells only go to 130. I'm happy to announce I am part of the '150lbs dumbbell club'...for pressing that is! The owner of that place...Al Phillips...is a real hustler! A good guy...but a hustler. I can talk great Chicago gyms all day.

What other gyms do you like to train at Mr. Hanson? Will you be at the ASC this week?

?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 06:31:02 PM »
I think there are alot of 'hidden gems' gyms in Chicago. Too bad most people only know X-Sports. The only X-Sports I would reccomend anyway is the one on Elston Ave. They cater to the hardcore crowd. If you go there in the morning...the sun shines in right through the windows, they play hard rock and metal and you'll see competitors in there really pushing themselves. Last time I was in there Jay Cutler's dvd(Ripped/Shreds) was playing on all the televisions which are like 50 of them on this one giant wall in the weight room. That was pretty neat...motivated you a little more. Just keep the COMMANDMENTS of entering an XSPORT Gym in mind...no eye-contact with any staff member, dont walk within 15' of the pro-shop and stay the hell away from the front counters. If you can...keep a real pissed of "dont fk with me" look on your face. 99% of the staff at all those gyms are completely not into fitness or even know anything about training or BB or anything so they would probably be intimidated to talk to you or try to hustle you.
  I'll let all the Chicagoans here know a GREAT facility to train on the northwest side of the city. WORLD GYM on Irving/Harlem. I'm buds with one of the staff members there...so he lets me in to train once in a while. It isnt the biggest gym...I'd say about 7000 sq feet. it's in the basement of this ghetto-type mall called 'The Hip'. Has GREAT strength equipment...NEBULA and HAMMER STRENGTH. It has that leg press Ronnie made famous in his 'Redemption video'. Staff there are'nt by any means pushy and dont embarass themselves. Laid back. Very clean but hardcore at the same time. No problems with bringing chalk in or getting gritty. My only problem is the dumbbells only go to 130. I'm happy to announce I am part of the '150lbs dumbbell club'...for pressing that is! The owner of that place...Al Phillips...is a real hustler! A good guy...but a hustler. I can talk great Chicago gyms all day.
  What other gyms do you like to train at Mr. Hanson? Will you be at the ASC this week?

The XSport on Elston is pretty sweet, tons of cops and fireman. 

What about B & W, you still can't beat that for the money, Ridge and Clark on the northside.

Mike Morris (pre-natural) used to train out of the Xsport no North and Wells when he was in town.  Ton's of stippers there too.

bestposer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »
Umm guys, he's not from here shouldn't we give him a gym near his hotel??????????????????

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:18 AM »
Good idea Boris

Greekzilla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »
Bucktown Fitness on North and I think Damen isn't bad. Quads south is probably too far.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 11:21:59 AM »
 Good call, MIKE. I forgot about B&W Gym. Over on north Clark st. Great powerlifting gym. I know we got a little off-subject here babbling about other gyms in Chicago instead of directing BOXERZ to the closest to Oak Brook but I really have a problem with the X-Sport's in case you people reading this thread hasnt caught that yet. Let me plug another great gym to train at...over on Archer Ave just before Pulaski...it's called 'Handle Bars Gym'. A good place to train. Real bare-bones. Hardcore. Mariuz P. trains there when he is in town. I've trained there a couple times. It's known as a great leg gym. There aren't any competitors there as far as I know but there's some animals lurking around in there. It has a little bit of a rough crowd(bangers) but then again thats any gym. The owner 'Big Donny' is a cool guy. I never thought I'd EVER mention this "gym" on a getbig post talking about good gyms in Chicago but I'm going to anyway...'Bally's' on 87th/Dan Ryan. Now...like most newbies I started out at a Bally's so I'm familiar with them. The one on 87/Dan Ryan...is hardcore actually. The weight room is tiny...but it's jammed w/ Hammer Strength and it actually has big dumbbells for a 'Ballys'. 130lbs I think. Alot of HUGE 500+lb bench pressers and 700lb squatters in there. The area is kind of 'Compton' but on a good note...I bought many many nice watches and sunglasses and quality bootleg dvd's at that intersection right there.  There is a new gym that opened not too long ago. I believe its in Tinley Park or I want to say...maybe Matteson. It's called 'Energy Fitness'. National level bodybuilder named Aaron Bonecki owns it. I never been there but heard alot of good things about it. Any Chicagoan here on GetBig ever been to it?
?