Author Topic: Front Squats vs Back Squats  (Read 2272 times)

Farkenell

• Getbig III
  • Life Is Pain, Pain Is Everything
Front Squats vs Back Squats
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
Front Squats vs Back Squats

I want to know what people prefer and why???

I've been doing both for an equal amount of time and favour front squats over back. I believe it reduces the involvement of the lower back, as I keep my torso upright more so than back squats.

A lot of people moan about the difficulty of holding the bar across their shoulders and trying not to crane forward. But, I've never encountered such unless I use the smith which is never cause its restricting and plain fucked.

Last wednesday I lifted my PB of 3 plates a side for 4 reps (and a few more forced reps), I want to reach 4 plates for a single by the end of the year w/out drugs.. am I dreaming ??

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Front Squats vs Back Squats
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »
heavy front squats put pressure on my lower back like nothing else.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

chow747

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:01:43 PM »
Do deadlifts and you'll be stronger in front squats...

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »
Actually train with  GoodMornings and you will gain strength for doing front and back squats, even helps with DL's. If you feel undo stress in the lower back from doing front squats than your form should be checked out. The bar should be resting well upon your delts and the tips of the fingers in a rock solid position, with the elbows out and held high.  Some guy's will cross over there arms or even let the bar rest on the front delts when doing front squats after learning the proper style and gaining more flexability in the shoulder/arm/hand positions.

Most Olympic lifters will wear elevated heels for their squat clean's for a better balance as well as throwing most of the stress on the quard and away from the lower back. If you don't already, might place the heels on a 2X4 when front squating and notice the difference. The shift in load (weight) is quite noticeable. This will also influence the front quads much more than the regular back squats, which has a strong hip/butt recuitement. Good Luck.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 01:36:33 PM »
Excellent movement.  I prefer both ;D    Alternate them both and JPM is right on the money.

FARK - you are most definitely not dreaming, 4 plates no problem. Natural or not doesn't matter at all.  Just come up with a plan and put it into action.  Focus intensely on this movement.  Once you have a plan in place, it is all about the action.  How bad do you want it??

XS

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
Both are excellent leg exercises and one does not replace the other, both styles have their place in a routine.

I often do both in the same day because they both hit the quads a little bit differently...I'd say the bulk of my leg training revolves around these 2 lifts and lunges. I do use other lifts but they do not make up the bulk of the work.

For front squats, I like a slightly more narrow stance, with either a 2x4 or 5lb plates under my heals.

JPM is right about 2 things, elbows must remain up and GM will help with lower back stability. To add to that, HYP-EXT can also aid in this, as well as maintaining a regular ab routine. Keeping your mid-section strong, even while bulking will greatly benefit your training over-all, especially when you squat, do deads, and military-press.

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »
Fronts force the knees out further past the toes.  For me, this causes pain.  If you don't feel it now, you probably will in the future.  My biceps get sore when I do these because I contract them so hard holding the bar. 
The General

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 02:07:59 AM »
Fronts force the knees out further past the toes.  For me, this causes pain.  If you don't feel it now, you probably will in the future.  My biceps get sore when I do these because I contract them so hard holding the bar.
Joint pain is part of the game, especially after you've been in it a while. Even if your form is on point, at a certain point knees and elbows will throb, it's the nature of the beast. If I avoided any lift because it hurt one of my joints I would be limited to cardio and abs. :(

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 03:47:59 AM »
from what ive heard goodmornings is a potentially very dangerous exercise.
Z

Farkenell

• Getbig III
  • Life Is Pain, Pain Is Everything
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »

Thanks for the response.

I have good form for front squats, and never encounter pains.

I cross my arms over and lock the bar over my front delts against my throat.

And yeah, I want 4 plates real bad, thats the aim as well as a five plate deadlift, doesnt sound like a lot of weight but I am young and technique and muscle development are my aim, not so much the weight.

I weigh about 103kg at 178cm