Author Topic: Hise Shrugs  (Read 2032 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
Hise Shrugs
« on: February 25, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
Anyone here use this exercise?  Comments?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: Hise Shrugs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:38:02 PM »
Anyone here use this exercise?  Comments?
Describe it.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:06:53 PM »
As I understand it, using a bar, say in the squat rack area, place desired amount of weight on barbell and position the bar on your traps and shrug as high as possible.  The rep range is high, based on suggestions from the site where I saw this exercise mentioned, in the 20-25 rep range at least until your body becomes comfortable with the movement.  I have never tried it but I may, however trap day isn't til tuesday for me so I thought I'd research til then. 

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »
Ledd is right on the money about explaining the movement. The Hise shrug (JC Hise..old time strongman) is meant as a heavy support exercise with deep upper chest  breathing  done with each shrug of the shoulders. The very deep breathing is considered just as importnat as the shrug it's self. It's considered a growing exercise, like the breathing squat, not so much a trap developer but can  build that area. 500/600 lbs or more is not out of the question for this exercise for a higher rep range 20-30 and at times up to 40 reps. Seems to affect the CNS in a positive way if only one or two heavy sets are done.  The old theory being that the more weight your body supports the more  it will adapt to becoming stronger all over. Some guy's have preformed Hise shrugs in a standing calf machine but it's really not the same as with a BB resting on the traps/neck. Stablization and balance go along more so when the whole load (mass)is directly on the neck/traps.

I have played around with the Hise shrug but nothing in the nature of giving it much serious time. I have done regular support work since I've been lifting with favorable results. Like heavy back and leg lifts and have gotten good results with holding 50-100 lbs over my best BP/Incline press & overhead presses for  short periods of time (15-30 seconds or more). If Ledd or any one tries these Hise shrugs, feel free to give your take on them .Good Luck.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
traps get hit enough between deadlifts and shrugs
Valhalla awaits.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:58:34 AM »
Hise shrugs are not about trap development, per se. It's about heavy support work and deep breathing while lifting (shugging) the shoulder girdle as high as possible.  It's seems to stimulate & adapt the body to handle extremely heavy loads way beyond it's normal capacity. Strength and growth usually follows. Good Luck.