Author Topic: Top 20% of earners pay 84% of Fed taxes  (Read 9777 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Top 20% of earners pay 84% of Fed taxes
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:37 AM »
The harder people work luckier they get.  So luck has something to do with it in some, not all, instances. 

agreed.....hard work ensures that you are in more situations where luck is bound to happen or at least be a factor

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
agreed.....hard work ensures that you are in more situations where luck is bound to happen or at least be a factor

Again, luck or opportunity?

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »
Again, luck or opportunity?

Hard work creates opportunities.

Luck is winning the Lotto.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Hard work creates opportunities.

Luck is winning the Lotto.

Exactly.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
I think I would call it more opportunity. if you're in the right environment and yes, work hard opportunity will present itself. Would you consider opportunity luck?

I've had clients want to invest in my gym because they see the success I've had and yes, how hard I work at it. Is that luck or opportunity?

It really defends how you define luck.  In this context you may think that luck suggests receiving something with out working for it, like winning the lottery. 

I think we do get lucky when presented with some opportunities, but that is usually because hard work put us in the right place at the right time.

Like Bill Gates for example.  He slaved away at coding for years.  One day IBM came knocking at his door because the people they were in town to see first weren't home.  He seized his opportunity.  Was he lucky that the other person wasn't home or was it his hard work?  I'd say both. 

In your case i think its 100% hard work on your part.....But not in every case and luck has had a part in some people's success.   However, rarely is it all luck and no hard work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
There is truth to what both of you are saying (Coach and Ozmo).  One of the common themes of very successful people is that they were working hard and pursuing excellence in their chosen field at the time when a greater opportunity arose. 

That's why I like the definition posted earlier that luck is where opportunity meets hard work. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
Hard work is not where it's at.
Dockworkers, foundry workers, electricians - all work hard.

Smart work is where it's at.
Smart work gets you paid better and moving up the ladder.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
Hard work is not where it's at.
Dockworkers, foundry workers, electricians - all work hard.

Smart work is where it's at.
Smart work gets you paid better and moving up the ladder.

I agree in part.  Yes smart work is very important. 

Where I disagree is that any class of worker cannot move up the employment, business, income, net worth ladder, etc.  I've probably posted this on here before, but some of the best advice I heard years ago is this:  if you're good at what you do, the money will follow you.

I believe that is true, regardless of your occupation.   

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
Unemployment is what 10%?

So the unemployed doesnt really have the votes.

The .gov unemployment rate ONLY refers to those individuals receiving an unemployment check.

If you're in an entitlement program and NOT working, you're NOT counted as unemployed. ( welfare etc)

If your 99 weeks of unemployment benefits run out and still without a job, you're NO LONGER counted in the official unemployment number.

Currently 97 Million working age Americans are OUT of the work force. Again, only those receiving an unemployment check reflect the official 5.5% unemployment rate.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153193487385238

And before any of you clowns scream "Faux News" they're not the source.

The top 20 also own 95% of the country, all of the politicians, can write their own laws, and most importantly want to take the remaining 5% of the country that the other 80% have left.  

Shut the fuck up, Joe.  BTW, the wealthy built their empires on the backs of the poor and middle class by usually exploiting their ignorance.  I can't say anything because I participated in it when I worked for Homegold Financial but that's the way it works.   
A

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
I agree in part.  Yes smart work is very important. 

Where I disagree is that any class of worker cannot move up the employment, business, income, net worth ladder, etc.  I've probably posted this on here before, but some of the best advice I heard years ago is this:  if you're good at what you do, the money will follow you.

I believe that is true, regardless of your occupation.   

Nope.  You can be a great, hard working cashier for Wal-Mart and love it.  You'll never go over what a top level cashier is worth...money will not follow.

Smart work would be to identify how senior level managers at Wal-Mart got to where they're at and follow suit.  Maybe educate yourself for a better position.  Learn, understand, and play the politics, etc.  Identify viable career paths.  That's gonna get you moving.  That's gonna get you paid.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »

The .gov unemployment rate ONLY refers to those individuals receiving an unemployment check.

If you're in an entitlement program and NOT working, you're NOT counted as unemployed. ( welfare etc)

If your 99 weeks of unemployment benefits run out and still without a job, you're NO LONGER counted in the official unemployment number.

Currently 97 Million working age Americans are OUT of the work force. Again, only those receiving an unemployment check reflect the official 5.5% unemployment rate.

Thanks.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

The top 20 also own 95% of the country, all of the politicians, can write their own laws, and most importantly want to take the remaining 5% of the country that the other 80% have left.  

Shut the fuck up, Joe.  BTW, the wealthy built their empires on the backs of the poor and middle class by usually exploiting their ignorance.  I can't say anything because I participated in it when I worked for Homegold Financial but that's the way it works.   

Is Coach in the top 20%?

Its weird he keeps campaigning for the people who have the most. Like a reverse Jesus or something.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »

Nope.  You can be a great, hard working cashier for Wal-Mart and love it.  You'll never go over what a top level cashier is worth...money will not follow.

Smart work would be to identify how senior level managers at Wal-Mart got to where they're at and follow suit.  Maybe educate yourself for a better position.  Learn, understand, and play the politics, etc.  Identify viable career paths.  That's gonna get you moving.  That's gonna get you paid.

A great, hard-working cashier at Walmart is probably going to move up the ladder, probably receive bonuses, stock options, etc.  That's how the money follows them. 

I agree with the rest.  That's called modeling and it is definitely a recipe for success. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

They make more than 84% of the income in this country, so it seems to me, they are getting a deal.  Quit carrying the water for the rich, you will never be in that group.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Is Coach in the top 20%?

Its weird he keeps campaigning for the people who have the most. Like a reverse Jesus or something.

No, he's middle class....he just thinks he's going in that direction
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

No, he's middle class....he just thinks he's going in that direction

You're naive at best Vince.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
You're naive at best Vince.

So you are in the top 20%?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
So you are in the top 20%?

Depends where you draw the line.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »
Is Coach in the top 20%?

I call him the reverse Robin Hood.....but you seem to get the picture :D

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 06:25:03 PM »
Depends where you draw the line.

Either way you make a good living.

Here is an idea: Why not enjoy your succes instead of stepping on people less fortunate than yourself?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »

Here is an idea: Why not enjoy your succes instead of stepping on people less fortunate than yourself?

Curious.....

The idea that being "rich" also means you are stepping on people less fortunate is false to me.   How would a person like Joe, someone's who owns a gym, be stepping on people by being financially successful?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »

I prefer to give my money to who I choose. The government has no right to steal my money and give to who THEY choose. I already stated that I give more than $10k a year to charity and tithe with my church. Of course that doesn't include the taxes I pay on top of that. What do you and Andre give voluntarily each year?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 09:49:07 PM »

Yes, I make a damn good living because I earned it and work my ass off for it. I started from literally NOTHING except some business cards while being a single parent. I took no loans, no handouts and definitely no government assistance.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »

This says as much about the fact that a lot of folks are at or near the poverty level and therefore taxed lightly or not at all. In fact if you are below the poverty level and you have earned income, you get an earned income credit which means the Feds actually pay you more in addition to any taxes you prepaid and which are refunded to you.

I paid nearly $10,000 to the Feds this year and I am probably not in the top 20%.This is on a retirement income where only a percentage of my SS is taxed. Am I happy about this? Hell no.