Author Topic: Floor Presses for Chest?  (Read 55798 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Floor Presses for Chest?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
Anyone ever tried "Floor Presses?" Are they good to just increase strength? Or will they add size to your chest?

X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Floor Presses for Chest?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
No
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
I did floor presses at the end of my work out just to try them out! Maybe they will increase tricep strength, thus increasing my bench press, which will give me Arnold-like pecs.  :D :D :D
X

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
They will help you through a sticking point.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
I would use many other techniques before doing that. Like benching in a squat cage playing with the pin positions and such.

?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
They will help you through a sticking point.

My bench (with barbell) has always sucked, but decent with dumbbells.

It doesnt make sense. I could push up the 100 pound dumbbells (flat) for 5-8 reps. Yet, I can barely bench a 45 and 25 on each side. How does that work?  ??? ??? :-\ :'( :'(
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:51 PM »
I would use many other techniques before doing that. Like benching in a squat cage playing with the pin positions and such.

My gym took out all the squat racks that have the adjustable pins. Now we just have these.  :'( :'( But I was using the squat rack to bench.

X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »
My gym took out all the squat racks that have the adjustable pins. Now we just have these.  :'( :'( But I was using the squat rack to bench.

That sucks, I hate those.

They take getting used to but better than nothing for legs but can't use for benching as we like to do. It's nice to have that little space to yourself (the cage) when you do your lifts. Often a mirror in front of you as well, no dipshit can pass within inches of your knee while doing a press or whatnot...
?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
the one arm dumbbell floor press is one of my go-to main exercises nowadays, its a great lift

if you're a thick t-rex like me then the range of motion is about the same as the bench, I usually do a set or two of 6-10 reps then a high rep backdown

There is obviously no magic exercise for 'the pecs' as all pressing works exactly the same with chest size depending on drugs, genetics and diet

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »
if you want to increase bench do the bench press where you put a wood block on your chest that's a couple inches tall maybe like 5 inches tall and add more than your usual bench press weight

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:22 AM »
They never did much for me.  I got better results from board presses and chains.

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
The better advantage (for me anyway) is to use a PR/Cage when doing these partial workouts. Which allows setting the pins to match your body frame (long/short arms and general body type). When doing this type heavier training I will usually start from a dead stop position, resting the bar on the pins themselves for 2 or 3 seconds each rep, than press out.

With floor/rack presses you are avoiding the weakest part of the bench, the first phase off the chest. The usual height of the floor press begins with the start of the  second phase of the bench press (there are three phases to the bench, like in most compound lifts). The strongest part of the lift is the 2 to 3 inches just below the lockout position. Might suggest using different grips now and than. A closer/narrow grip can build tricep power very well, if that is the main interest. A wider that regular grip can affect the pecs better.

I've done true floor presses where the 45's are hitting two heavy planks, which give a rebound to the lift. No dead stop here, and can increase the weight used greatly. More power stuff than general training.

The floor press is a good movement to help break a sticking point with bench training. And depending on the rep range, can increase mass...and certainly strength.

Good Luck.

Just to note: thank you for that video that does not include crappy music and some guy shouting at the top of his lungs (not cool at all). Just a straight forward very helpful training video.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
Jpm, it's funny you say that the weakest part of the lift is off the chest as I feel that's my strongest area. I usually fail a lift mid range. My lockouts are good, so for me, floor presses help improve that middle ground.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
The better advantage (for me anyway) is to use a PR/Cage when doing these partial workouts. Which allows setting the pins to match your body frame (long/short arms and general body type). When doing this type heavier training I will usually start from a dead stop position, resting the bar on the pins themselves for 2 or 3 seconds each rep, than press out.

Same here. A good baseball coach will tell you, every time you swing a bat you swing it like you would in a game. Otherwise you develop poor habbits and mess up your form. I always felt like after floor pressing once I got back on the bench I had a harder time getting my legs into it, and I felt off balanced. I'd much rather use the safety bars and turn it into a partial movement while keeping the exact same form as I do regular pressing.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
"Jpm, it's funny you say that the weakest part of the lift is off the chest as I feel that's my strongest area. I usually fail a lift mid range. My lockouts are good, so for me, floor presses help improve that middle ground"

If starting from a dead stop position, and your start position is stronger than the second phase and lockout position are than you are truly blessed. Most guy's are capable of at least 100-120+lbs over their bottom start position to lockout (reason chains work so well is because the resistance is increased from the weakest bottom position ((usually dead stop)) to the strongest lockout position...the Nautilus cam designed machines are all built on this concept).

Floor presses can greatly improve the middle pressing position if most guy's would pay more attention to that middle range. Need not be a sticking point in a bench press.  I still prefer a PR/Cage, where anyone can adjust the pins to whatever height they want. Even moving a bar only 2"-4" (from the start position, which a lot of guys do) gives benefit. The much overlooked static hold can have a surprising greater influence on becoming very powerful, with added muscle thickness when used correctly.

I've got pretty long arms, and a wider body frame, so regular floor presses never quite worked out well for me.

Good luck.

F

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:27 AM »
"Jpm, it's funny you say that the weakest part of the lift is off the chest as I feel that's my strongest area. I usually fail a lift mid range. My lockouts are good, so for me, floor presses help improve that middle ground"

If starting from a dead stop position, and your start position is stronger than the second phase and lockout position are than you are truly blessed. Most guy's are capable of at least 100-120+lbs over their bottom start position to lockout (reason chains work so well is because the resistance is increased from the weakest bottom position ((usually dead stop)) to the strongest lockout position...the Nautilus cam designed machines are all built on this concept).

Floor presses can greatly improve the middle pressing position if most guy's would pay more attention to that middle range. Need not be a sticking point in a bench press.  I still prefer a PR/Cage, where anyone can adjust the pins to whatever height they want. Even moving a bar only 2"-4" (from the start position, which a lot of guys do) gives benefit. The much overlooked static hold can have a surprising greater influence on becoming very powerful, with added muscle thickness when used correctly.

I've got pretty long arms, and a wider body frame, so regular floor presses never quite worked out well for me.

Good luck.

Yes I have abnormally long arms my wingspan is like 5-6 inches longer than my height (6 ft) And I have very skinny limbs (Wrists, ankles, neck etc.) it took me a while to build my neck up but my wrists and ankles are still skinny no matter what I do . I found that board bench presses helped me tremendously with strength I recommend trying it.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
I don't have chains in the gym but I do bring in my own bands. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »

Seen a few unpacking their  bands in the gym. Useful, with that steady resistance, even with push-ups , a very overlooked exercise for weight men. Can use them for dips also. Bands can increase TUT quite well.

Board presses use more of the rebound affect, which can greatly improve basic strength. And also saves the breast bone. Like saying before, using planks, on floor presses, are a great power inducer for me. If I use a extra wide grip on floor presses, I have better results (the long arm thing again).

Would still suggest that working from a dead stop, from the bottom to middle start position, may help quite well for those who seem to be stuck at a certain weight in the bench. Anyway...your choice.

Good luck.

(just to note...one of my favorite bands was Led Zep)
F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
I did these in highschool for football never did it again

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
I did these in highschool for football never did it again

I tried them last week. Didnt feel much.  :-\
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
Also, my gym got rid of the squat rack, so I cant even perform chest presses with the safety bars set at different heights :(
X

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
Also, my gym got rid of the squat rack, so I cant even perform chest presses with the safety bars set at different heights :(
Join new gym or barrow my squat rack I have 3 at home and 3 at my local gym