Author Topic: overtraining  (Read 34245 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
overtraining
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:04 AM »
subject is up to much debate but i think Ric has put it well in this video... I personally do not believe that you need to Hammer a muscle group 2 x a week(more with overlap) with a 3 on 1 off routine but i also do not like short Heavy Duty style routines.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: overtraining
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
What would seem Over Training may mean different things to different people, with different goals in mind.

Might be that Under Recovery (less, or no, rest between workout  days) can be more counter productive than over training.  It's how the body adapts and how you let it adjust to any given training workload. Some top level Olympic lifters can train 2 to 3 times a day, with steady progress. Though their training sessions are brief and to the point. Same could be said about gymnast, in some cases. And check out these gymnast with superior tricep, bicep, delt and total upper body development to those of the average BB'er..

BB'ers can have some of the most illogical approaches to workout of just about anyone.  The funny part is, quite a few work very well for them. It's the question of how each of us adapts to any training scheme, to what most would consider over training. What's one persons over training might be something that another person can make steady progress on. Just have to find out for yourself.

Good Luck.

F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
subject is up to much debate but i think Ric has put it well in this video... I personally do not believe that you need to Hammer a muscle group 2 x a week(more with overlap) with a 3 on 1 off routine but i also do not like short Heavy Duty style routines.

I don't think anyone is really hammering it 100% 2 or 3 times per week, they may claim to, but in reality one or two of those workouts weren't pushed as hard as possible

If your chasing the pump its a different matter all together, your not realy going to failure, just getting the blood in there

I still stand by my best gains comming from training 3 days a week, one muscle group per week....

A lot of these doing twice per day, 7 days a week would look no different if they cut it in half, there just too addicted to being in the gym

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:43:49 AM »
I don't think anyone is really hammering it 100% 2 or 3 times per week, they may claim to, but in reality one or two of those workouts weren't pushed as hard as possible

If your chasing the pump its a different matter all together, your not realy going to failure, just getting the blood in there

I still stand by my best gains comming from training 3 days a week, one muscle group per week....

A lot of these doing twice per day, 7 days a week would look no different if they cut it in half, there just too addicted to being in the gym
i totally agree.. iīm in the Gym anyway so i do the 5 Day thing..but a 3 Day split works great too.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:00:36 AM »
It grates on me when you hear some on here saying how hard they are training, doing everything 3 days a week, plus cardio, I would put money on them not gaining an ounce of muscle.

I think you said u prefer one muscle group per day, so your getting plenty rest, could you imagine tripling your work load

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:11:24 AM »
It grates on me when you hear some on here saying how hard they are training, doing everything 3 days a week, plus cardio, I would put money on them not gaining an ounce of muscle.

I think you said u prefer one muscle group per day, so your getting plenty rest, could you imagine tripling your work load
no way.. my shoulders would not take it. This is also an important factor, the soft structures take longer than muscles to recover..indeed by training too much i got bursitis in my shoulder. i donīt have a rugged structure like say Ro or chaos.. i need to train differently. big Ro would laugh at what i lift ;D

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:23:07 AM »
The more I overtrain the bigger and stronger and better I look

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
The more I overtrain the bigger and stronger and better I look
you know some people talk of planned overtraining or Priority training for a muscle group but Generally i think Vince Gironda was correct ... he called it overtonis... he spoke about this subject years before anyone.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
I train every thing once a week on a split. When using a whole body routine 2 to 3 times a week. Concerning strength I gained the quickest using a whole body routine and hitting it 3 times a week. It's just too brutal of a way to train. Split routines are easier.

I have to admit the best muscular shape I have ever been in is when I used a rotation schedule that Mike Mentzer and Mr. Florida Frank Calta who invented used. He would split his body in half. Work out A was on Monday. Workout B was on Wednesday. Friday was workout A again. Next week Monday's workout was B. Wednesday was A and Friday was B.  So body parts were hit directly once or twice a week.

A workout was legs, chest and triceps
B workout was back, delt and biceps

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
I had been suggesting a similar type program, based on the Monday-Wednesday- Friday workout scheme for a good amount of years. It would be upper body one day and lower body the next workout day. With alternating each Monday , starting a new week.  There should never be any thing closely approaching over training in these simple but productive workouts.

Example:

Monday...upper body
Wednesday...lower body
Friday...upper body

The next Monday you would start with lower body
Wednesday...upper body
Friday...back to lower body again.

The following Monday you would alternate back to upper body work.These are based on short workouts. With the attention on compound movements, which tend to encourage gaining muscle mass & strength quite well.

Upper body...BB Row, Bench, Overhead press, tricep/bicep work (can drop the arm movements if you wish).  3X8-10 reps each exercise
Lower body...Squats, BB Hack Squats & calf raises (can drop calf movements if you wish).   3X8-10 reps each movement.

These type workouts are usually done from 8 to 12 weeks. It works very well for sports training also, adding extra muscular weight and strength to many.

As far as what Pestosterone posted; What would seem Over Training may mean different things to different people, with different goals in mind. Looks like pestosterone found his method that is the best for him...at the moment.

Good Luck.

F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
you know some people talk of planned overtraining or Priority training for a muscle group but Generally i think Vince Gironda was correct ... he called it overtonis... he spoke about this subject years before anyone.
http://www.treningsforum.no/forum/index.php?topic=10103.5;wap2