Author Topic: Best cardio to shred fat and conserve muscle  (Read 11499 times)

alpha infidel

• Getbig II
Best cardio to shred fat and conserve muscle
« on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
I stopped gyming for a few years, and getting back into it seriously again for the last 2 months, but I have gained alot of fat, probably need to lose about 15kgs,

Now I been advised to do this HIIT technique for 20mins, as it's supposed to be better at burning fat upto 24hrs after you trained than like cardio which only burns during and shortly after, but I have found that it doesn't work, if anything I have put on a kilo or two with all the water retention and protein supps I been drinking.

I currently lift 5 days, and do cardio on 3 days, (sometimes in the morning on one of the days when I lift),

Should I go back to doing solid cardio like rowing at pace for 40 mins plus 30 mins on treadmill, I am scared that this will also burn up muscle.

As for supps, I am taking a test boost, amino's, whey, casein and creatin, should I dump the casein for now?

Any tips would be awesome.

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Best cardio to shred fat and conserve muscle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I would switch it up. I know it's not an exact recommendation but they each get very boring and have their reasons as to why they work.
?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
Excellent advise from ritch.  

After awhile most any system can become more like actual work, and turn into mental boredom, than a workout , for most people.  Might also suggest that if into running (rather than a treadmill) than run outdoors, a hilly trail can be ideal.  I've ran on fire trails (SoCal has lots of then in the hills & mountains) which can be fairly steep and will build up stamina as well as target fat loss. Also finding that mountain biking is great.

Though not mentioned, might I also suggest interval training, which can include many different versions. If your time is limited, than this can become a very good way to lost body fat and keep muscle mass. The Tabata protocol can be a good start. Three to four times a week is the normal requirement. A session can last between 4 to 8 cycles max.

Not sure why you need to work 5 days a week and do cardio 3 times that week....but that's your business. Rowing, as well as spinning (stationary bike), are some of the better ways to burn off excess fat.

Good Luck.
F

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:45 AM »
I stopped gyming for a few years, and getting back into it seriously again for the last 2 months, but I have gained alot of fat, probably need to lose about 15kgs,

Now I been advised to do this HIIT technique for 20mins, as it's supposed to be better at burning fat upto 24hrs after you trained than like cardio which only burns during and shortly after, but I have found that it doesn't work, if anything I have put on a kilo or two with all the water retention and protein supps I been drinking.

I currently lift 5 days, and do cardio on 3 days, (sometimes in the morning on one of the days when I lift),

Should I go back to doing solid cardio like rowing at pace for 40 mins plus 30 mins on treadmill, I am scared that this will also burn up muscle.

As for supps, I am taking a test boost, amino's, whey, casein and creatin, should I dump the casein for now?

it's all the same shit, find one that you can stomach. hell shoot hoops with your invisible friend in the driveway for 30mins a day, push a slead for 10 mins, swim for an hr. cardio isnt hard, tolerating the boredom is.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:36:24 PM »
Abbs are made in the kitchen.......

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:45:47 AM »
local hero is correct. cardio only helps speed up the process or breaks a plateau. I do fast walk on a treadmill at the highest incline. literally melts fat off for me

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
local hero is correct. cardio only helps speed up the process or breaks a plateau. I do fast walk on a treadmill at the highest incline. literally melts fat off for me
yes.. the best forms of Cardio in my opinion are the most weight bearing ones such as running/walking using the legs. Run 30 minutes and 3 times a week. cut back on your eating...fat loss. aside from helping to lose weight you will be in better condition for your weight sessions. Donīt get caught up in this HIIT is the only way idea. As Kevthekid wrote walking on an incline works for most big guys.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 01:13:30 AM »
20mins on the stair machine before I lift every day does wonders for your look

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »
Two schools of thought on cardio for bodybuilders. Most will say low intensity and long like walking on a treadmill incline. Some will say high intensity like intervals. I guess it goes to the bodybuilding  HIT vs volume debate. I would suggest you mix it up. High intensity intervals can be so over bearing when used in addition to lifting and quick burn out can happen. A third general category is short but hard miles. Something like a hard two mile run is what I'm talking about.  Another school of thought for bodybuilding doing cardio is to mix machines up to spread the stress but I think if you want performance feedback on cardio improvement you should stick to one method at a time. Just an opinion.

Some of the methods I use without going into too much detail is the following.

1. Walking on a treadmill at 3.8 MPH. It's a fast walk. Every lap I go up 1% grade. I keep going up every quarter mile lap or .25 until I'm toast then I reward my self by going down to level grade for the final lap.

2. Running intervals. I will do something like 8 sets of 440 yards or one lap on the treadmill display. The rest interval will be 220 yard fast walk.  Sometimes I will go to 6 x 880 yards with a quarter mile fast walk.  

3. Most of the time I just run 2 to 5 miles.  

Regarding burning off muscle if you are a bodybuilder then weights come first and cardio is just an add on.  Yes, doing a too much cardio will send a signal to your body to eliminate fat and nonfunctional muscle as it concerns the adaptation to becoming a better runner. Even though I talk about running and fast walking anything I wrote will apply to other cardio methods. Personally at my age I care more about health and fitness than looking good in a speedo. I don't care if I lose an inch off my arms because I had a couple of big running weeks. When I was big and strong I never had a lot of gas in the  tank concerning cardio It's all what's your own personal priorities.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »

Before.... I've always done mine after, save energy for the weights

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
Before.... I've always done mine after, save energy for the weights
plus better for fat burning.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
shouldnt you wait till after?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
I do it before if u r cutting then fat loss is the main goal my weights never suffered or do my workouts if they do add intrai workout nutrition or up your dosage lift any way plus u get warm all over and sweaty before less chance of injury I do my cardio before because when I'm done lifting there isn't a damn thing left in the tank

keesh1

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »
I think doing one thing might be boring. I personally enjoy swimming. But after a while I switch to treadmill or spinning. I do it after lifting. Good luck.

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 03:30:20 AM »

I know from firsthand experience that constant high intensity sports, going for long runs, running miles etc are DETRIMENTAL to having a muscular physique at a low BF %...There are mistakes i made at a younger age that stopped me from progressing past low BF with a decent amount of muscle and i blew up once i realized that little to no cardio, with TWEAKS in my diet changed my physique and made it LOOK like i was conditioned like i was on the stepmill every morning with an empty stomach...When that is NOT THE CASE MANNN!!!! ::) ;D ;)...What you need is to figure out TDEE with a TDEE calculator (they're not 100% accurate it's the fucking internet) but they'll give you a good rough estimate and eat about 300 cals below it while eating clean and training hard...You'll see the fat melting off SLOWLY while you maintain more % of your muscle than you would if you were doing otherwise..Unless you have a contest coming up and you only have 8-10 weeks to cut i would suggest a slower cut because that will benefit the physique the most in the end/

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 01:33:43 AM »
Walking at a fast pace 30 to 45 min 3 times a week. Worked great for me.
Even better do that first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a yohimbine or clen/albuterol.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
Clinical trials have demonstrated and proven that Tabata cardio yields greater fat-loss and muscle preservation than more "conventional" moderate-intensity aerobic work.

But, man... You've got to do it the right way for it to be effective, which means using enough intensity. This is where many trainers fall short.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »
Hill sprints. If you take a smart and patient approach with this, I have found that long term, hill sprints are the only form of conditioning that are compatible with getting stronger in the big lifts, including the squat (the prowler or sled might also fit into this category).

The issue of course is being smart and patient. If you go from no conditioning to full intensity hill sprints your squat will go down the toilet. However if you prioritise goals, maybe add the hills while maintaining or lowering your squat max, you can then add the heavy squat training back in once your body adapts to the new stress. It takes a while though...

But ultimately, long term it just makes sense - if you are sprinting up a steep hill at full blast how are your legs not going to get stronger?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 02:33:08 AM »
I tried this and wasn't patient enough burnt my self out in 2 weeks but noticeable fat loss when I did try. Mayb I'll try it again but a much slower approach

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
So, which form of suffering have you chosen?
?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Hill sprints. If you take a smart and patient approach with this, I have found that long term, hill sprints are the only form of conditioning that are compatible with getting stronger in the big lifts, including the squat (the prowler or sled might also fit into this category).

The issue of course is being smart and patient. If you go from no conditioning to full intensity hill sprints your squat will go down the toilet. However if you prioritise goals, maybe add the hills while maintaining or lowering your squat max, you can then add the heavy squat training back in once your body adapts to the new stress. It takes a while though...

But ultimately, long term it just makes sense - if you are sprinting up a steep hill at full blast how are your legs not going to get stronger?

How is your approach to this... I've lost all intrest in cardio at the moment

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 02:02:02 AM »
Cardio is a short term solution. Long term weight management is all about diet. No shit meals. No cheating. Eat like a champ.