Author Topic: PRE-EXHAUST PRINCIPLE  (Read 7818 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
PRE-EXHAUST PRINCIPLE
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
Does the Pre-Exhaust Principle really work? I have a weak chest, so I do dumbbell flyes before presses to supposedly pre-exhaust the muscle.  The idea is that my pecs will get pre-exhausted before I press, so that my chest will give out before my shoulders when I do press.  Is there any science behind this principle?

Thank you.

X

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: PRE-EXHAUST PRINCIPLE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:46 PM »
I think it's a great method to use, just not too long. I once saw some scientific proof showing it deactivated the number of chest fibers from the pre exhaust method.

I used for chest, shoulders, triceps,bieceps and very good for quads. Combine some slow tempo training here with  a drop set at the end and sets like that, you don't need to do many...
?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
I think it's a great method to use, just not too long. I once saw some scientific proof showing it deactivated the number of chest fibers from the pre exhaust method.

I used for chest, shoulders, triceps,bieceps and very good for quads. Combine some slow tempo training here with  a drop set at the end and sets like that, you don't need to do many...

I use it every work out. Maybe I shouldnt?  ???
X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »
Pre exhaust is great if you want to get around the "weak link" like Triceps with Benches. Even with a wide grip they are trained too. I think Pre exhaust is excellent and works if you have a muscle group you want to shock or give new stimulus. a weak muscle can greatly benefit. I would only use it on maybe 1 or 2 muscle groups and not for a long period. I suggest you read , "Savage sets" from Bob Kennedy.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
examples of pre exhaust...

Side raises with Shoulder press

Incline Flyes with Incline Bench press

Leg extensions with Squats

Chins with Bent over rowing

Scott bench curls with Close grip chins ( love this )

Tricep press downs with close grip benches

Standing calf raises with jumping rope ( also a pre exhaust i like )

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »
I've had good results doing some flys or other pre-exhaust techniques for chest.  Doesn't seem to do much, but it's a way to change up your routine.

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
I've had good results doing some flys or other pre-exhaust techniques for chest.  Doesn't seem to do much, but it's a way to change up your routine.

8)
depends really how advanced you are and if you know what you are doing.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Pre-exhaust has it's place in any BB'ing long range training planning. If nothing else, your going to get a pretty good pump, which some equate as muscle growth....incorrect of course.

Example: As with the pec's, the idea is to tire them with flys (an extension movement) followed by a chest pressing movement which calls upon the delts and triceps, helping to push the pecs even more to complete reps and get max effort out of the exercises. .

Pre-exhaust seems to work the best with shoulder/delt exercises. One of he original concepts was to do side laterals combined with the overhead press behind the neck. Think Bob Kennedy (publisher of Muscle Mag International) was one of the first to start this trend in the 70's.

Can take this method even farther when applying Quad sets with Pre-Exhaust. Each exercise followed right after the other, no rest between movements.

1) Lateral raise
2) Press behind the neck or behind the neck presses....whatever name you wish
3) Front DB raise
4) Front BB press   all 8-10 reps and two cycle each.

Pre-exhaust for lats would be:

1)straight arm pullover (suggest a DB and the closer grip that it allows) full stretch.
2) Lat machine pulldowns  (would suggest chins but most can't do enough reps, after the focused pullovers, to get those 8-10 proper reps in). Or the BB row, which ever one you like. Could do Quad sets here also with a few adjustments. Another super pump combo.

Legs

1) Sissy squats..bwt & full stretch (can be a real killer)
2) regular flat footed squats  8-10 reps

Biceps
1) Incline DB curls...keeping the head against the incline board at all times
2) BB curl, standing, with a bit of a cheating start. 8-10 reps.

Lot's of other simple combo to explore with the Pre-exhaust or even Quad sets.

Good Luck.

4) Front BB press

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
I spoke to Bob Kennedy two times on the phone. He explained it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
WOW!!!

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
WOW!!!

did you ever speak to him ?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
I guess jpm101 never spoke to him. A very nice man and we spoke about Vince Gironda.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
GOSH!!!
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
GOSH!!!
  ??? ::) so you never spoke to him.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
Bob Kennedy was a nice man who made time to explain it. Pre exhaust is a very productive manner of training. Even Bill Pearl told me to use a preacher bench before chins.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
If ever having the chance to meet a magazine publisher it would have been Peary Rader, of the original IronMan magazine. Would have gone way out of the way to meet this gentleman.

Believe IronMan was the first to published a few articles by the late Bob Kennedy, before Kennedy started Muscle Mag International. Kennedy made a good effort with that magazine, but like all the other like magazines it became overloaded with ads, some questionable in nature.

May Mr. Rader and Mr. Kennedy rest in peace...each made a noble effort.

Good Luck

F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »

I used to read up on studies that cited EMG studies documenting which movements activated the greatest number of muscle fibers, etc.

Then, the realization of individuality hit me, and I conceded that different people respond differently to various exercises. Basically, you can take those electromyography studies and shove'em up your ass!

I've learned to research, experiment, and use only what is useful to YOU as an individual.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:31 PM »

I used to read up on studies that cited EMG studies documenting which movements activated the greatest number of muscle fibers, etc.

Then, the realization of individuality hit me, and I conceded that different people respond differently to various exercises. Basically, you can take those electromyography studies and shove'em up your ass!

I've learned to research, experiment, and use only what is useful to YOU as an individual.

Fuck, you're an idiot. I said I read about a study saying that what I said. I mentioned I used it before and liked it. The reason why I mentioned not to use it to long is it creates a very deep stimulation, won't recover doing it too much.

?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »
Fuck, you're an idiot. I said I read about a study saying that what I said. I mentioned I used it before and liked it. The reason why I mentioned not to use it to long is it creates a very deep stimulation, won't recover doing it too much.

Easy, friend; I wasn't attacking you.

I was actually agreeing with the first part of your original post, in which you said you have found the pre-exhaust method to be effective despite "studies" demonstrating a decrease in fiber activation.

My "shove it" statement was directed at people who rely solely on studies like that over real world results, and I was actually complimenting people like you who are smart enough to not dismiss a time-proven principle on account of some narrow scoped study.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »

Easy, friend; I wasn't attacking you.

I was actually agreeing with the first part of your original post, in which you said you have found the pre-exhaust method to be effective despite "studies" demonstrating a decrease in fiber activation.

My "shove it" statement was directed at people who rely solely on studies like that over real world results, and I was actually complimenting people like you who are smart enough to not dismiss a time-proven principle on account of some narrow scoped study.

Shit man, so sorry... I never understood those studies that totally fly in the face of what we all know.
Gonna try and read a bit slower, thanks for keeping a cool head on this one.
?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Shit man, so sorry... I never understood those studies that totally fly in the face of what we all know.
Gonna try and read a bit slower, thanks for keeping a cool head on this one.

8)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
I always do preachers before barbell curls. Did arms today. Preacher curls then barbell (ez bar) curls. I feel like I get an awesome pump from the strict movement of the preacher curl in the beginning. Pre-exhausted those arms! Arms were MASSIVE!!!!
X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
works, just don't use it too often.  takes away from stregth gains but definitely delivers soreness.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
I remember that Evan Centopani was enthusiastic about it (also chest related), but I believe it's best to start an experiment yourself by measuring your chest, training this way for 6 weeks and then measure again.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
I remember that Evan Centopani was enthusiastic about it (also chest related), but I believe it's best to start an experiment yourself by measuring your chest, training this way for 6 weeks and then measure again.
Pre-ex theory sounds very logically. Tried it, especially for quads and pecs it gave an incredible DOMS.
Still I am not sure, don't know why.
Maybe I should devote a full 6 months to it.