Author Topic: Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide  (Read 16980 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
I don't know the statute for murder, but I'm pretty sure my ass would be in the slammer if I decided to start gunning people down. 

Police officials in Baltimore admitted that their officers should have provided medical attention immediately following the arrest of Freddie Gray.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/04/24/402046909/baltimore-police-freddie-gray-shouldve-gotten-medical-help-at-scene-of-arrest

So we can agree your comment that they "broke the law" and should be in jail was emotional and not based on facts. You do really well in the political arena.. Don't know why you leave that to come here to basically piss all over yourself... but to each his own 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
So we can agree your comment that they "broke the law" and should be in jail was emotional and not based on facts. You do really well in the political arena.. Don't know why you leave that to come here to basically piss all over yourself... but to each his own 

is your argument really "it's okay for police to deny medical attention to prisoners" because as a florida fat kid on getbig, I cannot list the # of the BAL statute regarding denying prisoners medical access - particularly after the BAL govt has indicted them for it? 

I guess I don't know where to go from here.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
is your argument really "it's okay for police to deny medical attention to prisoners" because as a florida fat kid on getbig, I cannot list the # of the BAL statute regarding denying prisoners medical access - particularly after the BAL govt has indicted them for it? 

My point is that you can't just throw them in jail because you imagine there is a law that says they are required to call an ambulance when someone complains about pain. They most likely violated policy, but policy is not law.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »

No law, Rob. Prisoners whine about medical shit all the time; cop's not obligated to jump every time. It's left to their discretion.

Argue this dude required it, fine, but you can't invent some law that doesn't exist.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
No law, Rob. Prisoners whine about medical shit all the time; cop's not obligated to jump every time. It's left to their discretion.

Argue this dude required it, fine, but you can't invent some law that doesn't exist.

Prisoners are constitutionally guaranteed health care before being booked into jail.

True or false?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/sun-investigates/bs-md-gray-jail-rejections-20150509-story.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
After arriving at Central Booking, detainees are examined by intake nurses to determine whether they are stable enough for the four- to five-hour booking process, said Gerard Shields, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services. If someone is rejected, the responsibility falls on police to get medical care, he added.

"The police are not medical personnel and may not be aware of the severity or presence of all injuries," Shields said. "Our protocol is to assess all detainees at the door to see if they can medically withstand the booking process. We are able to treat many injuries on site so these are determined on a case by case basis. If we can treat them, we will."

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »
We have the same process here.... prior to booking, if there is complaint of pain or visible injury a nurse assigned to the jail will evaluate the subject to determine if they can be booked in at that time or transported to the hospital to be examined by a doctor. I haven't seen anything yet that would suggest this did not occur with Freddie Gray

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
Prisoners are constitutionally guaranteed health care before being booked into jail.

True or false?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/sun-investigates/bs-md-gray-jail-rejections-20150509-story.html

He was being transported, no? If he'd survived until booking, yes. If he was bitching every five minutes about pain on the ride, they're not obligated to stop and check him every five minutes.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
An overview in general of what happens in many cases.

People who are arrested on a regular basis or who hang in circles where members are arrested on a regular basis know that complaining of illness/injury can deter an arrest to the hospital where the officer weighs the time he will have to spend waiting for the subject to be seen with the seriousness of the violation. For example, Public Intoxication requires the officer to stay with the subject a minimum of 4 hrs before he can issue a citation at the hospital and leave.  Females will claim pregnancy complications and it can be hours at a hospital to find out they were likely faking it. So after playing that game many times the empathy fades and some cops are less likely to put the same value to a transient claiming pain vs the average citizen claiming pain and requesting medical.

As I have said more than once, it's clear with 20/20 hindsight that officers dropped the ball on his request for medical attention. It costs the officers nothing to call for an ambulance, and as just an CYA, after repeated/continued requests as the reports seem to indicate, they should have had him checked out. As Chris Rock says in his routine, "I UNDERSTAND it... but I don't condone it"

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
An overview in general of what happens in many cases.

People who are arrested on a regular basis or who hang in circles where members are arrested on a regular basis know that complaining of illness/injury can deter an arrest to the hospital where the officer weighs the time he will have to spend waiting for the subject to be seen with the seriousness of the violation. For example, Public Intoxication requires the officer to stay with the subject a minimum of 4 hrs before he can issue a citation at the hospital and leave.  Females will claim pregnancy complications and it can be hours at a hospital to find out they were likely faking it. So after playing that game many times the empathy fades and some cops are less likely to put the same value to a transient claiming pain vs the average citizen claiming pain and requesting medical.

As I have said more than once, it's clear with 20/20 hindsight that officers dropped the ball on his request for medical attention. It costs the officers nothing to call for an ambulance, and as just an CYA, after repeated/continued requests as the reports seem to indicate, they should have had him checked out. As Chris Rock says in his routine, "I UNDERSTAND it... but I don't condone it"

Agreed, but it's very likely he/they would complain again after having been cleared by paramedics. Shit happens in jail all the time - whine, whine, whine ... cops can't play that game with every attention-whoring inmate.

Only an issue here because, well, he was hurt. And, oops, he died. Still shouldn't rewrite policy based on one incident.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
Agreed, but it's very likely he/they would complain again after having been cleared by paramedics. Shit happens in jail all the time - whine, whine, whine ... cops can't play that game with every attention-whoring inmate.

Only an issue here because, well, he was hurt. And, oops, he died. Still shouldn't rewrite policy based on one incident.

As an administrator, it's incumbent upon the department to insure reasonable care is afforded those in police custody. So I would encourage the department to review their policy and if they were within policy to ignore the repeated pleas, then they should rewrite them. For example, we have a policy where the normal complaint of pain of handcuffing a subject doesn't rise to the level that an officer should contact a supervisor to document the complaint.. however, if the complaint is continuous then it rises to that level. Most people will complain about pain of cuffs or the process of cuffing initially, but soon they move on to other things like swearing they will find, kill and eat your family dog. But sometimes a person does get hurt during the cuffing process or the cuffs are on too tight. So if someone continues to complain past the point of the initial incident, it warrants further examination to insure they are not unduly in pain.

I can see that if the policy didn't exist for that department, it soon will.     

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
As an administrator, it's incumbent upon the department to insure reasonable care is afforded those in police custody. So I would encourage the department to review their policy and if they were within policy to ignore the repeated pleas, then they should rewrite them. For example, we have a policy where the normal complaint of pain of handcuffing a subject doesn't rise to the level that an officer should contact a supervisor to document the complaint.. however, if the complaint is continuous then it rises to that level. Most people will complain about pain of cuffs or the process of cuffing initially, but soon they move on to other things like swearing they will find, kill and eat your family dog. But sometimes a person does get hurt during the cuffing process or the cuffs are on too tight. So if someone continues to complain past the point of the initial incident, it warrants further examination to insure they are not unduly in pain.

I can see that if the policy didn't exist for that department, it soon will.     

Do you have medical on site, or do they need to get transported?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
Do you have medical on site, or do they need to get transported?

The jail has a jail nurse at the jail.

We call EMS to check on prisoners prior to transport often. If there is visible injury, or they hit their head, or lost consciousness, or chronic complaint of severe pain.. EMS will come check them out before we take them to jail. Even if EMS clears them.. the Jail nurse... who seems to not want to accept anyone will examine them.. 9 times out of 10 she won't want the liability and will have the officers take them to E.R. to have a Doc clear them for jail. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »
The jail has a jail nurse at the jail.

We call EMS to check on prisoners prior to transport often. If there is visible injury, or they hit their head, or lost consciousness, or chronic complaint of severe pain.. EMS will come check them out before we take them to jail. Even if EMS clears them.. the Jail nurse... who seems to not want to accept anyone will examine them.. 9 times out of 10 she won't want the liability and will have the officers take them to E.R. to have a Doc clear them for jail.  

Ok.

Say, why is it so damn difficult to give a guy a little blankie in that freezing holding cell?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »
Ok.

Say, why is it so damn difficult to give a guy a little blankie is in that freezing holding cell?

no idea, our department contracts out to the Sheriffs Dept for jail operations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »
Freddie Gray's family settles with city for $6.4M
Associated Press
By JULIET LINDERMAN

BALTIMORE (AP) — The parents of Freddie Gray reached a tentative $6.4 million settlement with the city of Baltimore, nearly five months after their 25-year-old son was critically injured in police custody, sparking days of protests and rioting.

The deal, announced Tuesday, appeared to be among the largest settlements in police death cases in recent years and happened just days before a judge is set to decide whether to move a trial for six officers charged in Gray's death.

Gray's spine was injured April 12 in the back of a prisoner transport van after he was arrested. Gray, a 25-year-old black man, died at the hospital a week later. In the aftermath, Gray became a symbol of the contentious relationship between the police and the public in Baltimore, as well as the treatment of black men by police in America.

The settlement still needs the approval of a board that oversees city spending. That board will meet Wednesday morning.

"The proposed settlement agreement going before the Board of Estimates should not be interpreted as a judgment on the guilt or innocence of the officers facing trial," Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a news release. "This settlement is being proposed solely because it is in the best interest of the city, and avoids costly and protracted litigation that would only make it more difficult for our city to heal and potentially cost taxpayers many millions more in damages."

Rawlings-Blake refused to comment further on Tuesday at an unrelated news conference.

The settlement does not resolve any factual disputes, and expressly does not constitute an admission of liability on the part of the city, its police department or any of the officers. The settlement has nothing whatsoever to do with the criminal proceedings, the press release said.

In July, New York City settled for $5.9 million with the family of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who died after being put in a white police officer's chokehold. The city of Chicago settled in 2001 a wrongful death lawsuit by the family of LaTanya Haggerty, who was shot to death by police, for $18 million.

The proposed payment in the Gray case is more than the $5.7 million the city of Baltimore paid in total for 102 court judgments and settlements for alleged police misconduct between 2011 and last fall, according to an investigation by The Baltimore Sun. The city paid another $5.8 million for legal fees to outside lawyers who represented officers, the newspaper reported.

Detective Donny Moses, a Baltimore Police Department spokesman, said the agency's public affairs staff was under direct orders Tuesday not to comment. Billy Murphy, an attorney for the Gray family, also declined comment.

The head of the city's police union condemned the agreement and urged the Board of Estimates to reject it.

"To suggest that there is any reason to settle prior to the adjudication of the pending criminal cases is obscene and without regard to the fiduciary responsibility owed to the taxpaying citizens of the city," Lt. Gene Ryan said in a statement.

All six officers, including Edward Nero and Garrett Miller, are charged with second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. Lt. Brian Rice, Sgt. Alicia White and Officer William Porter also face a manslaughter charge, while Officer Caesar Goodson faces the most serious charge of all: second-degree "depraved-heart" murder.

Three of the officers are black and three are white. Their attorneys have asked the judge in the case to move their trials out of the city. The hearing is set for Thursday.

___

Associated Press writer David Dishneau in Hagerstown, Maryland, contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/freddie-grays-family-settles-city-6-4m-145735914.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
Trial for six officers charged in Freddie Gray's death to stay in Baltimore
Published September 10, 2015
FoxNews.com

A judge has ruled the trials of six Baltimore police officers charged in connection with the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man, will be kept in Baltimore, WBFF reports.

Attorneys for the officers had argued they would be unable to get a fair trial in the city due to media coverage of the case and the city’s $6.4 million settlement with Gray’s family.

According to WBFF, protesters cheered outside the courthouse, "The trial stays here.” At least one protester was arrested.

Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow has called the argument Baltimore residents can’t be impartial “insulting,” and told Judge Barry Williams on Thursday that the only circumstances under which a change of venue is appropriate is in "a small community where you have an armed lynch mob at the door,” the AP reports.

One officer, Caesar Goodson Jr., is accused of second-degree depraved heart murder. The charges against the other officers include misconduct, manslaughter and assault.

Gray died after suffering a spinal injury in custody. His death triggered protests and rioting on the day of his funeral and comes amid national outcry against police brutality and racial profiling.

The trial has been set for October. The officers have pleaded not guilty.

Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/10/trial-for-six-officers-charged-in-freddie-gray-death-to-stay-in-baltimore/?intcmp=hpbt3

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
Baltimore Judge: All Statements by Officers in Freddie Gray Trial Admissible
Oct 13, 2015 // 9:50pm   
As seen on The Kelly File 

The statements made to investigators by two of the six Baltimore police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray can be used as evidence in their criminal trials, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams rejected motions by Sgt. Alicia White and Officer William Porter to suppress statements they made before being charged. The judge said he concluded the officers spoke voluntarily to investigators, and were appropriately advised of their rights.

Lawyers for three of the other officers - Lt. Brian Rice and officers Garrett Miller and Edward Nero - withdrew their motions to keep their clients’ statements from being admitted as evidence in their trials.

Officer Caesar Goodson, the transport van driver who was charged with second-degree murder in Gray’s death, didn’t give police investigators a statement.

Get legal insight from Mark Eiglarsh and Arthur Aidala from "The Kelly File" above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/10/13/baltimore-judge-all-statements-officers-freddie-gray-trial-admissible

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
Freddie Gray case: Hung jury in trial of Baltimore Officer William Porter
By Aaron Cooper, Catherine E. Shoichet and Jason Hanna, CNN
Wed December 16, 2015 | Video Source: CNN

Baltimore (CNN)They're on opposite sides of a controversial case that's sparked protests and left a city on edge.

But Baltimore police Officer William Porter and a lawyer representing Freddie Gray's family seemed to agree on at least one thing after jurors said they were deadlocked and a judge declared a mistrial in the case against Porter Wednesday.

"It's not over yet," Porter told The Baltimore Sun in a brief phone conversation Wednesday evening, according to the newspaper.

Bill Murphy, an attorney for Gray's family, gave a similar assessment to reporters.

"This hung jury does not mean it's the end of Officer Porter's case," he said.

But what happens next is anyone's guess.

Porter was one of six officers charged in connection with the death of Gray, a 25-year-old who died after sustaining a neck injury while in police custody. Prosecutors will decide whether to retry the case.

Freddie Gray case: The charges against six Baltimore officers

Legal analysts described the mistrial as a major setback for the prosecution that could affect the cases of the other five officers.

The judge told the prosecution and defense attorneys to appear in administrative court Thursday morning to set a new trial date.

Gray's family: 'We are calm; you should be calm, too'
A defense attorney declined to comment, saying he was subject to a court gag order.

Gray's family thanked jurors for their service and asked the public to remain calm.

Reading from a statement, Richard Shipley, Gray's stepfather, told CNN he is hopeful Porter will be retried.

"We thank this hard-working jury for their service to the public, their quest for justice, their personal sacrifice of their time and effort. We are not at all upset with them, neither should the public be upset. They did the best that they could," he said.

"We are hopeful that (Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn) Mosby will retry Officer Porter as soon as possible, and that his next jury will reach a verdict. Once again, we ask the public to remain calm and patient, because we are confident there will be another trial with a different jury. We are calm; you should be calm, too."

The police union said Porter and his attorneys will continue to press for his acquittal.

"When Officer Porter began this journey through the judicial process, we asked that everyone allow him his day in court as is promised to all citizens. Today, seven months later, Officer Porter is no closer to a resolution than he was at that time," Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #3 President Gene Ryan said in a written statement. "Our legal system, however, allows for outcomes of this nature, and we must respect the decision of the jury, despite the fact that it is obviously frustrating to everyone involved."

'A game changer'
Mosby was in court when the mistrial was declared and looked visibly upset. Prosecutors, who'd planned to use testimony from Porter in their cases against the other officers, appeared exasperated.

"They didn't offer him immunity. So now, they are in a situation where they have this charged defendant hanging out there, and they can't force him to testify against these other officers," CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin said. "And so, I think that this is, in many respects, a game changer for this prosecution."

Tensions flare following Freddie Gray mistrial

Tensions flare following Freddie Gray mistrial 00:53
Prosecutors are in "serious trouble," CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said.

"A hung jury is a defeat for the prosecution, especially when they needed Porter to make some of these other cases," Toobin said. "Now, it's not impossible that at least some of these other cases can go to trial without Porter, but his testimony was going to be important."

Bill Murphy, an attorney for the Gray family, stressed that the hung jury doesn't mean Porter's case is over.

"I don't buy the nonsense that this is somehow a victory for either side. It's not," he told reporters. "It's just a bump on the road to justice, and you know, the road to justice has lot of bumps."

But prosecutors now have major strategic decisions to make, Toobin said, like whether to keep prosecuting Porter or offer him immunity.

They haven't spoken to reporters since court adjourned Wednesday.

Mayor calls for calm
Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake issued a statement calling for calm after the mistrial was declared.

"As a unified city, we must respect the outcome of the judicial process. In the coming days, if some choose to demonstrate peacefully to express their opinion, that is their constitutional right. I urge everyone to remember that collectively, our reaction needs to be one of respect for our neighborhoods, and for the residents and businesses of our city," she said.

"In the case of any disturbance in the city, we are prepared to respond. We will protect our neighborhoods, our businesses and the people of our city."

Riots erupted in Baltimore in April after Gray's funeral.

"We will not -- and cannot -- be defined by the unrest of last spring," Rawlings-Blake told reporters Wednesday. "As a community, as a city, we are stronger, and we are united to be better than what some displayed to the world last spring."

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said officers will respect protests, provided they don't turn violent.

"Protesters who are lawfully assembled have a friend in the Baltimore Police Department. ... Folks who choose to commit crimes and hurt people and break things and harm people are no longer protesters," he said. "You lose your ability to call yourself a protester when you choose to harm people and destroy property."

Tessa Hill-Aston, president of the Baltimore chapter of the NAACP, said she expected the group of protesters outside the courthouse and elsewhere in the city would grow.

"It's very sad," she told CNN, "because I think that everybody was very happy that police got indicted, and not to get a conviction is painful. We wanted victory in the sense that officers can't get away with killing someone."

As the possibility of a verdict loomed this week, the city of Baltimore said it activated its emergency operations center Monday "out of an abundance of caution."

Baltimore police canceled leave for officers who had days off from Monday through Friday. Officers will be scheduled to work 12-hour shifts instead of the usual 10 hours.

Involuntary manslaughter among charges officer faces
Gray's injury happened as he was being transported following an April 12 arrest. Prosecutors say Porter, one of three black officers charged in the case, was summoned by the van's driver to check on Gray during stops on the way to a police station.

Prosecutors say he should have called a medic for Gray sooner than one was eventually called and also should have ensured that Gray was wearing a seat belt.

Porter was charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office.

Jurors said Wednesday that they couldn't reach a unanimous decision on any of the charges against Porter.

For convictions on some or all of the first three charges, he would face no more than 10 years in prison combined. There is no statutory maximum sentence for the fourth charge, misconduct.

All six officers have been suspended. Porter remains suspended without pay, Davis said Wednesday.

Asked for his response to a mistrial being declared, Davis said it was "part of the process."

"I think we all have to respect the process," he said. "The process is ongoing. It's not the last time we'll talk about it. And I think we just have to be consistent, measured and thoughtful as we go forward."

Prosecution: It only takes a click and a call
During Monday's closing arguments, prosecutor Janice Bledsoe argued that any officer in Porter's situation would have called for medical assistance once Gray complained.

"'I need a medic.' How long does that take?" the prosecutor asked. "How long does it take to click a seat belt and ask for a medic? Is two, three, maybe four seconds worth a life? That's all it would have taken."

Prosecutors also argued that Porter could have prevented the injury by ensuring Gray was wearing a seat belt while he was in the van.

But during his four-hour testimony last week, Porter said that of the roughly 150 prisoners he has placed in police wagons since joining the Baltimore Police Department in 2010, none was secured with a seat belt -- partly out of concern for officers' safety while in the wagon's tight quarters.

Prisoners were never secured with seat belts during field training, and though cadets were instructed to secure prisoners with seat belts, they were not shown how, Porter said.

Controversial police encounters fast facts

During his closing arguments, defense attorney William Murtha said the prosecution's case was full of holes, and that the law requires them to reach a verdict based on the "standard of a reasonable police officer."

Baltimore police officers break silence on riots, murder spike and Freddie Gray

"There is an absolute absence of evidence that officer Porter acted in an unreasonable manner," he said.

Testimony in the trial began December 2.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/16/us/baltimore-police-trial-freddie-gray/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »
Maryland's Court of Appeals delays officer's trial in Freddie Gray case
Published February 18, 2016 
Associated Press

BALTIMORE –  Maryland's highest court has agreed to take up a key issue in the trials for the Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, postponing trial proceedings until it can make a ruling.

The state's Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that it would take up the issue of whether one of the officers, William Porter, whose October trial ended in a mistrial, could be forced to testify against the other officers even though he is awaiting retrial. The issue had previously been pending in the Court of Special Appeals.

The order stalls the trial for Officer Edward Nero, whose trial was scheduled to begin with jury selection Monday.

Nero's attorney, Marc Zayon, could not comment because of a gag order in the case.

The court will hear oral arguments March 3.

Thursday's ruling will streamline the process for resolving the issue of compelling Porter's testimony, which had prompted opposing motions in the Court of Special Appeals.

Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams initially ruled that Porter must testify against two other officers, Sgt. Alicia White and Caesar Goodson. All three are facing assault, reckless endangerment, misconduct in office and manslaughter charges. Porter's attorney appealed the order, and the Court of Special Appeals stalled the trials for Goodson and White until its judges could issue a ruling.

In the meantime, Williams denied a motion from prosecutors to compel Porter's testimony against the three remaining officers, Lt. Brian Rice and Officers Edward Nero and Garrett Miller, on the grounds that prosecutors never indicated their intent to call Porter to the stand in those trials, and accused the state of simply attempting to stall proceedings. Prosecutors appealed the denial to the Court of Special Appeals.

Freddie Gray died April 19, a week after his neck was broken while he was handcuffed and shackled, but unrestrained by a seat belt, in the back of a police transport van. The officers were indicted in connection with his death on May 1, after more than a week of peaceful protests that at times gave way to unrest, arson and looting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/18/marylands-court-appeals-delays-officers-trial-in-freddie-gray-case.html?intcmp=hplnws

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
Freddie Gray Arresting Officer Edward Nero Found Not Guilty On All Charges
May 23, 2016

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Freddie Gray arresting officer Edward Nero was found not guilty on all counts by Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams Monday morning.

Nero faced second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and two counts of misconduct in office.

Nero waived his right to a trial by jury. His bench trial began May 12 and final arguments were heard Thursday.

WJZ’s Ron Matz says the trial was attended by a group of Baltimore City police officers, most in plain clothes. After the verdict was read, they came up to Nero one by one, embracing him and patting him on the back. Nero was seen with tears in his eyes.

Gray, a 25-year-old black man from the Sandtown area of Baltimore, died on April 19, 2015 of a spinal cord injury he sustained while in police custody.

His death set off more than a week of protests followed by looting, rioting and arson that prompted a citywide curfew.

According to WJZ’s Mike Schuh, who was outside the courthouse, there was a huge “roar of disapproval” that came from the protesters outside.

One of the people leading the charge is Rev. Wesley West.

“I’m angry because this is what we deal with, and when I say ‘we,’ we’re talking about the black community and I’m a part of and represent that community as well, it seems like we have no voice when it comes to these issues,” he said. “When it comes to conversations like this, we’re not involved. This should have been a jury trial where the community had a voice in this case. Of course a system works in a system’s favor, that’s how I look at it. That judge represents the system, and the police officer represents a system, but they’re all one system working together. And again I don’t think case was actually tried fairly when it comes down the community being involved.”

Gray family attorney Billy Murphy also spoke with WJZ outside the courtroom.

“I have to commend Judge Williams on not being influenced by public opinion,” Murphy said. “It’s a very, very difficult job to sit as a judge under these enormously stressful conditions, and once again Barry Williams has shown he is a fair and impartial man… He showed tremendous courage in ruling against public opinion.”

“I don’t think anybody should be upset with this verdict nor do I think anybody should have been elated about a guilty verdict,” he added. “Only the people who sat through this trial and heard all of the evidence have a right to have an opinion about whether his opinion was fair and whether or not it was warranted under the circumstances. So we should all understand that we all have opinions, but unless they’re based on the facts and all of the facts, those opinions are essentially irrelevant to this process.”

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake shared a similar sentiment in a statement she released shortly after the verdict was handed down.

“Today Judge Barry G. Williams found Officer Edward Nero not guilty of all criminal charges. This is our American system of justice and police officers must be afforded the same justice system as every other citizen in this city, state, and country. Now that the criminal case has come to an end, Officer Nero will face an administrative review by the Police Department. We once again ask the citizens to be patient and to allow the entire process to come to a conclusion. In the case of any disturbance in the city, we are prepared to respond. We will protect our neighborhoods, our businesses and the people of our city.”

Nero is one of six officers who was charged in relation to Gray’s death, and the second to be tried. Officer William Porter’s trial ended in a hung jury and mistrial in December.

“I think to convict a police officer it requires very strong evidence,” University of Maryland Law Professor Doug Colbert told WJZ outside the courthouse Monday. “Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is protection for every accused person, but there have been so few successful prosecutions of police officers … so it’s going to take a lot of evidence that an officer should be held criminally responsible.”

Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 also responded to the verdict shortly after it was announced.

Four other officers — Officer Garrett Miller, Lt. Brian Rice, Sgt. Alicia White and Officer Caesar Goodson Jr. — have not yet been tried.

Goodson’s trial, which was already delayed once, is set to begin June 6. He was the driver of the van that transported Gray from the spot where he was arrested to the police station. When the van arrived at the Western District police station, Gray was already critically injured and unresponsive.

Goodson faces charges of second-degree depraved heart murder, manslaughter, second-degree assault, two counts of vehicular manslaughter and misconduct in office.

“Officer Goodson’s case, factually, is a very different case than this one and so Officer Goodson’s attorneys are going to be weighing heavily the question whether they want to go forward with a jury trial or whether they want to go forward with a bench trial,” said Adam Ruther, an attorney with Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP.

“This will certainly factor into their decision making as they have had a little bit of a glimpse at the way Judge Williams is looking at the case, but it certainly will not answer the question for them and that question is solely the defendant’s. The lawyers cannot make that decision for the defendant, they can only advise and help the defendant make that decision for himself.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/freddie-gray-arresting-officer-edward-nero-found-not-guilty-on-all-charges/

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »
I thought it was extremely amusing that Nero's defense basically boiled down to: "Officer Nero, a poor cop on a tough beat, shouldn't be held responsible for failing to secure Mr. Gray per department policy because he didn't read the e-mail that stated that prisoners being transported should be secured with seatbelts!" I was sure the jury would see through such a thin ploy. More evidence that impaneled jurors aren't the brightest bulbs.

All that said, the prosecution did a horrible job.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:51 PM »
I thought it was extremely amusing that Nero's defense basically boiled down to: "Officer Nero, a poor cop on a tough beat, shouldn't be held responsible for failing to secure Mr. Gray per department policy because he didn't read the e-mail that stated that prisoners being transported should be secured with seatbelts!" I was sure the jury would see through such a thin ploy. More evidence that impaneled jurors aren't the brightest bulbs.

All that said, the prosecution did a horrible job.

LOL @ "I didn't know I had to put people in seat belts".

You had ONE JOB, idiot.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
LOL @ "I didn't know I had to put people in seat belts".

You had ONE JOB, idiot.

A man's dead. Funny to you, that's your take-away here?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »
A man's dead. Funny to you, that's your take-away here?

I'm mocking the idiotic defense by the officer "I didn't know I was supposed to use seatbelts, I must not have read the memo"

They arrested him for zero reason, they did that brake test thing, they denied him medical attention - they deserve prison.