Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 59488 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Suicide Squad
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
Not so true.  The animated DC movies have been top notch.  They tend to go darker than the live action movies.  The Flashpoint paradox is by far one of the best comic book movies ever.  In the animation movies they have Superman being bad ass, Batman being bad ass and joker being a fucking ruthless lunatic.  Not sure why they can't just use the same scripts in a live action movie.

I'd like to see those.  Is there a sequence - where do you start?
Y

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

They are all pretty self contained.

Son of Batman is good. Flashpoint. Anything in the past 5 years is top notch.

I'm going to watch The Killing Joke as soon as I can.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
They are all pretty self contained.

Son of Batman is good. Flashpoint. Anything in the past 5 years is top notch.

I'm going to watch The Killing Joke as soon as I can.

I read the graphic novel - didn't know it got made into a cartoon.

Here's a take on why the movie sucked:

You’ve probably read or heard about the Suicide Squad reviews by now, so if you want to send a thank you note or a bloody horse head to someone, you can send it to Warner Bros.

The announced the movie in October 2014 then David Ayer rush and half ass a script instead of losing branding partners and making people say bad things on the Internet.

“[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went,” he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: “It’s not just that you’ve told the public the movie is coming, you’ve made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It’s a really big deal to move a tentpole date.”

The BvS STD infected studio executives so badly to the point where they hired the company who cut the trailer to cut a version of the movie without David Ayer for the simple fact that people liked the trailers.

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser. By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited.

David Ayer fought for his original vision, but men in suits apparently always know what’s best.

Other sources describe a fraught process — one cites “a lot of panic and ego instead of calmly addressing the tonal issue.” Clearly all wasn’t sitting right with Ayer, who in June suddenly dropped his longtime agent at CAA and defected to WME, though the agency won him back in a day. “He was under a lot — a lot — of pressure,” says one person with knowledge of the situation, arguing that Ayer was exhausted and needed time to process conflicting ideas.

Warner Bros. tested two cuts of the film, and surprise, theirs won, but they wanted to split the difference which led to reshoots and further fucking up.

In May, Ayer’s more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. “If there are multiple opinions that aren’t in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least,” says an insider. “That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus.” Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to “a very common-ground place.” (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars’ worth of additional photography.

Warner Bros. returned the favor by throwing David Ayer and Will Smith under the bus.

And there may have been other strains. Just weeks before the two versions were tested, Warner Bros. declined to ante up for Ayer’s next project, Bright, which will reunite him with Suicide Squad star Will Smith. He ended up at Netflix, which made a staggering $90 million deal.

You know why you’ll never get a big name director to touch a superhero movie anymore? Because of shit like this. Christopher Nolan became a big name director because of  The Dark Knight trilogy, but by the time he got to the “trilogy” part, even he was mailing it in. All of this won’t matter to the fanboy or Warner Bros., because they’ll tout the reported box-office record it’s gonna break, but the budget for this clusterfuck was $175M. That means it has to make $350M to break even. And if you add promotional costs and marketing, that number is closer to $750M. And it’s not getting a China release. So good luck with that. Also good luck ranting on Facebook about how “Suicide Squad: Ultimate Edition” is great and how “Suicide Squad: Even More Ultimate-er Editions 2 & 3” really shows that Warner Bros. knows what it’s doing while they suck every possible penny from your dumbass.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Is it worth it to just hit them all in order, or are the older ones weak?

2.1 Superman: Doomsday
    2.2 Justice League: The New Frontier
    2.3 Batman: Gotham Knight
    2.4 Wonder Woman
    2.5 Green Lantern: First Flight
    2.6 Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    2.7 Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    2.8 Batman: Under the Red Hood
    2.9 Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    2.10 All-Star Superman
    2.11 Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    2.12 Batman: Year One
    2.13 Justice League: Doom
    2.14 Superman vs. The Elite
    2.15 Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    2.16 Superman: Unbound
    2.17 Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    2.18 Justice League: War
    2.19 Son of Batman
    2.20 Batman: Assault on Arkham
    2.21 Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    2.22 Batman vs. Robin
    2.23 Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    2.24 Batman: Bad Blood
    2.25 Justice League vs. Teen Titans
    2.26 Batman: The Killing Joke
Y

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
More dogshit cinema.

Fuck millennials!

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
Will Smith sucks ass. Total annoyance. And his unbelievably unlikeable family doesn't help.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
Is it worth it to just hit them all in order, or are the older ones weak?

2.1 Superman: Doomsday
    2.2 Justice League: The New Frontier
    2.3 Batman: Gotham Knight
    2.4 Wonder Woman
    2.5 Green Lantern: First Flight
    2.6 Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    2.7 Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    2.8 Batman: Under the Red Hood
    2.9 Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    2.10 All-Star Superman
    2.11 Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    2.12 Batman: Year One
    2.13 Justice League: Doom
    2.14 Superman vs. The Elite
    2.15 Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    2.16 Superman: Unbound
    2.17 Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    2.18 Justice League: War
    2.19 Son of Batman
    2.20 Batman: Assault on Arkham
    2.21 Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    2.22 Batman vs. Robin
    2.23 Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    2.24 Batman: Bad Blood
    2.25 Justice League vs. Teen Titans
    2.26 Batman: The Killing Joke

The Atlantis one sucks but mostly because I hate Aquadude.  I haven't seen the last 3 yet but some are meant for older audiences and others not so much.  I assume the Teen Titans one isn't meant for older people.  I'm trying to remember which one Superman almost killed Luthor or did he kill him?  I remember when he killed the Joker in one after joker killed Lois.  Its shit like this that's needed in the real movies.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
I thought the movie was ok. It was entertaining. TuHolmes was accurate with the 3.5 rating.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
I'm not speaking of the animated movies as they live in a different universe than the DC Movie Universe (according to DC... confusing as hell), but yes, those movies have all been extremely top notch.

Suicide Squad wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. It was definitely above average. There will definitely be a sequel. Pre-release showings did 20 million. It's going to be fine from a money perspective.

I think people are reviewing it a little harshly to be honest. I thought the same thing of BMvsSM.

The next 2 movies will tell the tale on the DCMU. If they are good, then all will be forgiven.

I thought it was enjoyable enough.

I don't think Geoff Johns has had much involvement with movies prior to now, but he has been extensively involved in the Arrow and Flash TV shows. I also think he has written some TV show scripts.

I think he can right the ship.

I tend to not follow the opinion of critics and moviegoers as they tend to put expectations too high on films when they are in reality just mindless entertainment for 120 minutes for a cost of $20. Re the critics they dont even pay to see movies so they tend to rate faggy boring foreign pictures higher because they are typically jaded fucks. And comic book, like book fans tend to want a word for word, scene for scene interpretation of a movie which is why they end up dissapointed. I like it when a book or comic veers from the norm because then I am not expecting to see what I just fucking read and there will be an element of surprise.

Go to a nightclub, a concert, or a sporting event and see what $20 gets you? Nothing because you will spend $50 minimum and entertainment is still not guaranteed.
"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
The Atlantis one sucks but mostly because I hate Aquadude.  I haven't seen the last 3 yet but some are meant for older audiences and others not so much.  I assume the Teen Titans one isn't meant for older people.  I'm trying to remember which one Superman almost killed Luthor or did he kill him?  I remember when he killed the Joker in one after joker killed Lois.  Its shit like this that's needed in the real movies.

I'm going to watch them all over the next year, since they're only an hour or so long.

Thanks for all the spoilers though.
Y

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
I tend to not follow the opinion of critics and moviegoers as they tend to put expectations too high on films when they are in reality just mindless entertainment for 120 minutes for a cost of $20. Re the critics they dont even pay to see movies so they tend to rate faggy boring foreign pictures higher because they are typically jaded fucks. And comic book, like book fans tend to want a word for word, scene for scene interpretation of a movie which is why they end up dissapointed. I like it when a book or comic veers from the norm because then I am not expecting to see what I just fucking read and there will be an element of surprise.

Go to a nightclub, a concert, or a sporting event and see what $20 gets you? Nothing because you will spend $50 minimum and entertainment is still not guaranteed.

Great perspective man! I like what you're saying here. My friends all do this they bring up rotten tomatoes scores. Rotten tomatoes definitely isn't my film bible.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »
Great perspective man! I like what you're saying here. My friends all do this they bring up rotten tomatoes scores. Rotten tomatoes definitely isn't my film bible.

Mine neither... I don't give a shit what people on Rotten Tomatoes say... If I like it, I like it.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
I prefer moviepoopshoot.com

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
I prefer moviepoopshoot.com

lol

jay makes a drunk donny like post

"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »
Fuck critics. I remember when Jurassic Park came out the news paper critic gave it a C-  then it broke all box office records and a week later he changed his rating to an 'A' so he can have some relevance. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
Fuck critics. I remember when Jurassic Park came out the news paper critic gave it a C-  then it broke all box office records and a week later he changed his rating to an 'A' so he can have some relevance. 
Jurassic park sucks though. It just proves people will watch anything with some action and special effects.
A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »
Jurassic park sucks though. It just proves people will watch anything with some action and special effects.
No, it's just anything with dinosaurs tends to sell. You could have a Barney The Dinosaur Goes On Vacation, and it would generate box office sales.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »

Flashpoint Paradox

PARADOX WATCH HERE
Q

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2016, 06:50:20 PM »
Just finished watching suicide squad...
I really enjoyed it..
Plot was a bit weak..
But the action sequences were great...
Harley Quinn character was the standout of the movie.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
Just finished watching suicide squad...
I really enjoyed it..
Plot was a bit weak..
But the action sequences were great...
Harley Quinn character was the standout of the movie.
She WAS the movie, nothing else good about the rest of it.
The joker was so lame and shitty. Looked like Keith flint in the fucking 90's and sounded like he had a dick in his mouth.
A

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
Hey Stunt.

135 million opening weekend for Suicide Squad.

Shattered the previous record.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2016, 02:39:23 AM »

you sound poor

Svengoolie

• Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »
It was a simple, entertaining movie that was no worse than your standard Marvel movie. I think critics expect every DC movie to be on The Dark Knight's level and thats not going to happen anytime soon I don't think.

goku

• Getbig III
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2016, 06:20:32 AM »
Thought it was a letdown.
Not sure what purpose the Joker actually served in the movie??
was just chasing after Harley Quinn throughout the little time he had in it, actually seemed like her pimp more than the Joker!
also thought he was too sinister rather than disturbed and deranged. Modern spin on him from Ayer, but made him look a gangster instead of a psycho.
his look was great but Leto was trying too hard imo, Heath Ledger made it seem natural.
Leto seemed like the kid in school trying to be different to get attention.

Batman was just an extra, would have made no difference to the film if he wasn't in it as his role was so insignificant.
Will Smith did his usual great job playing the only role he knows how - that of Will Smith!
Harley Quinn was awesome though, Margot Robbie killed it.

Started off so good, just went to shit after the opening though imo.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:15 AM »
Thought it was a letdown.
Not sure what purpose the Joker actually served in the movie??
was just chasing after Harley Quinn throughout the little time he had in it, actually seemed like her pimp more than the Joker!
also thought he was too sinister rather than disturbed and deranged. Modern spin on him from Ayer, but made him look a gangster instead of a psycho.
his look was great but Leto was trying too hard imo, Heath Ledger made it seem natural.
Leto seemed like the kid in school trying to be different to get attention.

Batman was just an extra, would have made no difference to the film if he wasn't in it as his role was so insignificant.
Will Smith did his usual great job playing the only role he knows how - that of Will Smith!
Harley Quinn was awesome though, Margot Robbie killed it.

Started off so good, just went to shit after the opening though imo.
1.) joker was a pussy whip crazy town listening fake gangsta
2.)Leto was trying way too hard, and failed
3.) joker,batman and the flash were just extras, dc is trying hard to make a multi movie verse.
4.) yup, Leto did seem like those kids wearing clown make up in school because they need attention.
A