Author Topic: elliptical trainer  (Read 2556 times)

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
elliptical trainer
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
I'm thinking of purchasing an elliptical trainer so I don't have to always go to the gym to do cardio. I would welcome
any advice out there about which one to buy. I considered an elliptical above an exercise bike because I think you
burn more calouries with an elliptical.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Re: elliptical trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 08:42:50 PM »
how much are you willing to spend?

do you want a new one, or used one?

if you go with a commercial model that is not battery/ alternator power, can you re-wire a plug in your house for a 20 amp circuit?

Buzz363

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:27:49 PM »
I have a Precor elliptical. I like the no impact but I still believe a treadmill is more versatile.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:51:37 PM »
IMO you should be willing to spend more to get something that is both durable and effective. Getting a cheap one's barely worth it. A treadmill's also good but is much harder on the joints.

I'd go with a used or new Precor home or pro gym version both because they're reliable and because unlike many of the other brands, they have an adjustable incline which makes a huge difference in workout intensity. Given their inherent durability, I'd prefer buying used at a big discount, as long as the machine's in good condition and works properly.
http://www.precor.com/cons/efx/

There are a couple of other brands that have home versions, including Life Fitness, but they don't have an adjustable incline.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:32 AM »
IMO you should be willing to spend more to get something that is both durable and effective. Getting a cheap one's barely worth it. A treadmill's also good but is much harder on the joints.
I'd go with a used or new Precor home or pro gym version both because they're reliable and because unlike many of the other brands, they have an adjustable incline which makes a huge difference in workout intensity. Given their inherent durability, I'd prefer buying used at a big discount, as long as the machine's in good condition and works properly.
http://www.precor.com/cons/efx/
There are a couple of other brands that have home versions, including Life Fitness, but they don't have an adjustable incline.

pumpsters right. there are many places that you can get gym quality coomercial equipment that is used for a decent price. in regard to gym equipment....you do get what you pay for. now, i know there will be 30 posts about guys who have a 15 year old treadmill from sears that "still runs great", but that is typically not the norm.

try

gymsource or leisure fitness, big fitness...or global fitness for used equipment.

just remember what i said in my previous post, if you get one that has a power cord...be prepared to have a circuit re-wired in your home. 20 amp, 125 volt

sli

• Getbig II
  • eat,sleep,pump iron, rinse & repeat
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:34:48 PM »
I'm not knocking elliptical trainers, cause I've had some great workouts on them; but if it is the only piece of equipment you use and you go hard on it everyday, you could be in for some repetitive motion sorness in your knee joints at some point.
You typically don't have a lot of options where your feet go, so your usually in the same exact motion everytime, everyday and it does begin to wear on your knee ligaments.
After experiencing this first hand at my gym, I bought a gym quality tredmill that provided me with more flexability and options, the knee soreness left and never returned.
Just my experience, and I'm sure genics have something to do with it.
'move..and I'll snatch the life right out of you'

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 05:03:36 PM »
Running has a similar degree of repetitious motion, plus far more bodyweight impacts that happen over and over again, so I don't agree.

As far as foot motion, the pedals are large, leaving plenty of room to accomodate natural foot movement as needed.

I'd rather run but can't. Elliptical's very easy and very low impact, which is why they're so popular.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys - at this stage I haven't had a chance to look round. I want to spend about
$500-$700 dollars (australian) but this may not get me a good quality elliptical. I have to look at a few
before I decide whether I should spend more money.

I have had knee soreness both from running on a treadmill and using an elliptical trainer. I found that the
treadmill was more severe on the joints.

mombasa3

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 07:15:20 AM »
I just picked up a Smooth 7.4.  I spent a number of hours on-line researching for the best on out there and I do feel this is it.  I am accustomed to the commercial ones, but for home use this one fits my needs.