Author Topic: critique routine  (Read 2870 times)

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
critique routine
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »
Older lifter (almost 50) , currently 180# basically played at weights for past two years after a decade and a half of obsessive lifting , got up to 270 with perma bulking then crossed to the dark side about 5 years ago and got down to a pretty impressive 190-200# before taking my extended break. I currently run 250mg Test-e wk (ran 125/wk during layoff - was running 500-750/wk during wieght loss/recomp phase before break). I intend to increase to 500 in 10-12 weeks depending on progress. I have always done best with low rep high set/ high intensity as opposed to volume - it's a temperament thing, sets of 3x10 and such kill my buzz quickly whereas I can always get up for a 10x3 @ 80% 1RM. So with all that in mind - how does this look to the more experienced?

1) Incline Bench 10x3
    Close Grip Bench 3x6
    BB Curl 3x6
2) Front Squat 4-5x6 (pyramid sets)
    Romanian Deads 10x3
3) off
4) BB Rows (supinated) 10x3
    Chins 3xFailure
    BNP 3x10-12
    Upright row (wide grip) 3x10-12
5) Off

this is a routine I can get psyched for as it suits my "temperament" and limited equipment, but is it viable in terms of hypertrophy as long as intensity and recovery are prioritized?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Re: critique routine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:52:21 AM »
Do more back movements!
w

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »
Do more back movements!
i think for his goals he has enough with Romanian Deads,BB rows,Chins.. upright rows hit upper back and traps, delts. could be said he has only incline press for chest but has close Grip Bench in there which is also hitting chest... looks fine to me. All round stimulation. depends on his body structure too.

sceagacros

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
I'm not sure if it's genetics, age (gravity), or that I way over prioritized flat bench for the better part of a decade when I first got into lifting, but my (lower and mid) chest grows very quickly hence my choice of Incline as the main horizontal press.

Another issue I've attempted to address is the realization over time is that (for me) , prioritizing chins over rows (putting them first, doing ungodly amounts of them etc.) was a mistake I made in the past thinking I would add width. I can progress the load on rows, where as with chins I can only do more or use more difficult grips. I've found that for me I can really give my all to rows and THEN chin my pre-fatigued lats and it seems to be producing MUCH more in the way of growth especially down lower in the lats whereas the chins seem to really work more right under the arm pit.

I considered JM presses in lieu of close grip because I have read that it's a cross between close grip and an extention and may hit the long head (tris) more effectively, but ultimately I went with the old adage that which ever you can move more weight on will yield the highest overall muscle gains, and I've been doing close grip for some time, am familiar with the groove and don't suffer wrist issues from them.

My front squats are actually fairly creative (where there's a will there's a way) - I put my bench uprights to the highest setting, straddle the bench and lean down(squat) to unrack. carefully back up and squat to a box surface set a few feet from the edge of the bench so that I can be sure I'm being consistent with depth, I have to leave enough in the tank to be able to make the trip back over the bench to rack it at the end. While not ideal, it works.

I'm not fooling myself at my age with unrealistic expectations, I just want to be fit, strong and turn a few heads once in a while. :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
I'm not sure if it's genetics, age (gravity), or that I way over prioritized flat bench for the better part of a decade when I first got into lifting, but my (lower and mid) chest grows very quickly hence my choice of Incline as the main horizontal press.

Another issue I've attempted to address is the realization over time is that (for me) , prioritizing chins over rows (putting them first, doing ungodly amounts of them etc.) was a mistake I made in the past thinking I would add width. I can progress the load on rows, where as with chins I can only do more or use more difficult grips. I've found that for me I can really give my all to rows and THEN chin my pre-fatigued lats and it seems to be producing MUCH more in the way of growth especially down lower in the lats whereas the chins seem to really work more right under the arm pit.

I considered JM presses in lieu of close grip because I have read that it's a cross between close grip and an extention and may hit the long head (tris) more effectively, but ultimately I went with the old adage that which ever you can move more weight on will yield the highest overall muscle gains, and I've been doing close grip for some time, am familiar with the groove and don't suffer wrist issues from them.

My front squats are actually fairly creative (where there's a will there's a way) - I put my bench uprights to the highest setting, straddle the bench and lean down(squat) to unrack. carefully back up and squat to a box surface set a few feet from the edge of the bench so that I can be sure I'm being consistent with depth, I have to leave enough in the tank to be able to make the trip back over the bench to rack it at the end. While not ideal, it works.

I'm not fooling myself at my age with unrealistic expectations, I just want to be fit, strong and turn a few heads once in a while. :)
you have a good Doctor ?

sceagacros

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
you have a good Doctor ?

It's the Front Squat technique I'm guessing that prompted this? ;D

I'm just very , very careful and keep everything tight - I can't go anywhere near the intensity I'd like and remain safe , so I've made this an accessory to Romanian Deads which I can do safely at a more acceptable intensity. I'm considering Zerchers as an alternative to Front Squats on the premise that racking/unracking may be safer , it would certainly be easier. :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
It's the Front Squat technique I'm guessing that prompted this? ;D

I'm just very , very careful and keep everything tight - I can't go anywhere near the intensity I'd like and remain safe , so I've made this an accessory to Romanian Deads which I can do safely at a more acceptable intensity. I'm considering Zerchers as an alternative to Front Squats on the premise that racking/unracking may be safer , it would certainly be easier. :)

just joking mate.. seems like you got a great plan going. maybe Barbell Hacks might be safer. Dumbbell squats after hacks will give you a great workout. Zercher squats are also great as you said.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »

Can you turn the bench around to use the uprights? At least that way you won't have to maneuver around the bench.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

sceagacros

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »
I'll give that a try next time and report back, thanks for pointing it out, it seems so obvious, I'm laughing at myself for not thinking of this before. ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
Yes, as suggested, BB Hack squats are excellent for the quads. Some will have the heels raised on a 2X4, plates,etc for increased focus on the lower quads (tear drops) And with Romanian DL's, the hams are getting their fair amount of work. The Romanian DL has been know to increase one's regular squatting power also. They also give the lats/traps a good stretch and involvement in the exercise.  I would mention squat cleans but don't think your going in that direction.  A top mass and stamina build for most.

Might also consider working the legs one at a time for awhile. As Bulgarian squats, which many believe is better than the regular front lung (personal choice for any of us). Also the step-up, which also hits the hams very well. Last by not least, the one legged squat. Suggest using DB's for any of these, rather than a BB.

The higher the angle/incline raised from a flat bench, the more the delts become involved. Saying that, you will  be getting more of a front delt/upper chest tie in with inclines (but your still working the lower pecs fairly hard also..can't take them out of the picture).. If you using a BB with inclines, might suggest trying DB's  for a change of pace. Should be getting a better stretch and new feel to the upper pec's. If a certain incline degree doesn't seem to be doing it for you, that try adjusting to a different angle. With lifting, a few inches and the way a bar is gripped can sometime make a whole lot of difference.

I've seen guy's switch from the bench (flat or incline) to dips  and watched the following improvement they made. Seems to be more kind to the elbows, for most. If haveing a "V" bar to preform the dips on, so more the better. Feel free to add more weigh from time to time, as with the bench press.

Good Luck.

F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
Giving your age, I would suggest to up the reps (around 10) / lower the weights, just to spare your joints.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:32:07 AM »
Not so much the amount of weight, or reps used, but more the unnecessary need of going to a point of failure (and beyond) on most workout sets. That's when the joints/tendons/ligaments come under an extreme degree of stress..in turn, invites injury. PL'ers and Olympic lifters understand this and why there are still older men still lifting in meets, and holding their own quite well.

Even the more experienced BB'er (Pro or otherwise) will understand this also. If wanting to save the body for the next great workout, and insuring better recovery time and progress, they will back off a rep or two before reaching any point of failure. That's why so many burn out from training after following the misconception that you must reach failure every set. OK to check your progress every 3  weeks (or so) and attempt your personal best (as PL'er & Olympic lifter do), but certainly not every training session.  Even BB'ers who are using light to moderate weight  may fall into the trap of too many sets to failure each workouts.

Good Luck.
F