Author Topic: the importance of goal setting, the three times a week 2 month leg experiment!  (Read 13034 times)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
to go to the gym week after week month after month year after year with no clear goals is a mistake

goal setting is important!

i will buy a measuring tape and measure my legs and i will train them twice a week for 2 months using only the following exercises:

leg press
seated leg curl

that. is. it !

i believe i can make NOTICABLE gains on my legs in this short time, using only the two excersises mentioned above!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Squat and stiff leg deadlift with bar or dumbbell

ritch

• Getbig V
what kind of set/rep scheme you thinking of doing or just gonna go by how you feel?
?

Knooger

• Getbig V
Pics of your vagina?

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
I've been training legs twice a week for about a year...it's made quite a difference.
I agree with squats and straight leg deadlifts but I also do walking lunges.
I train them as heavy as possible when my body allows...

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Squat and stiff leg deadlift with bar or dumbbell

Great basic movements but hella rough on the lower back.

ritch

• Getbig V
Great basic movements but hella rough on the lower back.

Bah, 135 squats are rather easy on the back, lol...
?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
what kind of set/rep scheme you thinking of doing or just gonna go by how you feel?

ill probably mix em up like 4x12 and then for the other weekly session might try a little higher like 3x20 or something

oh yeah ill do some calves too, maybe one leg standing calf raise

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
ill probably mix em up like 4x12 and then for the other weekly session might try a little higher like 3x20 or something

aaaaahhh, the ol' 1 leg calf raise w/ DB.
An effective , under rated movement for the calf.

ritch

• Getbig V

Could do some unilateral leg training as well for variety.
?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Could do some unilateral leg training as well for variety.

Perhaps some 2 handed middle leg training for fun? :-*

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
You are really doing a disservice to your quads by skipping the leg adductor machine.

ritch

• Getbig V
Perhaps some 2 handed middle leg training for fun? :-*

you doug deep to get that one, lol!
Better bring an extra gym towel then...
?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
you doug deep to get that one, lol!
Better bring an extra gym towel then...

and a fresh grapefruit for any Kai fans.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
You are really doing a disservice to your quads by skipping the leg adductor machine.
Wasn't that a DC training staple at one point?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
I refuse to do "dogg crapp" training for fear out of sounding like a total asshole when someone asks what program I'm doing.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
Try to do this twice a week instead  :
-single leg press 3x8-12
-dumbbell lunges 3x8-12
-lying leg curls 3x8-12
-seated leg curls 3x8-12
You will grow quads,hams and gluteus without destroying your back.
This is for me the ultimate leg routine because will let you grow your legs in a balanced way without ever incurring any injury. ;)

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
Try to do this twice a week instead  :
-single leg press 3x8-12
-dumbbell lunges 3x8-12
-lying leg curls 3x8-12
-seated leg curls 3x8-12
You will grow quads,hams and gluteus without destroying your back.
This is for me the ultimate leg routine because will let you grow your legs in a balanced way without ever incurring any injury. ;)

what a crap routine.

no need at all to do 2 kinds of leg curls.
and lunges are a complete waste of time and effort.

if u need to do 3 sets of leg press then you simply arent using enough weight or doing enough reps.

to build big legs you have to train hard. to train hard means you use all your energy. you dont have any left to spend on useless lady movements like lunges.

2-3 sets of leg press for 10-20 reps, with failure at the last rep...real failure, not just a B.S. im tired failure.
2 sets of leg curls.

finished. if u have gone hard enough then you are smashed.

swap out the press for squats every few sessions. for variety do 2 sets of extensions prior to the press.

thats it. twice a week seems excessive also. you shouldnt be able to go hard again for 5-6 days. day 3-4 soreness gone, then add 2 days or so.

too many people just dont work hard enough on legs.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
On leg day do:
- barbell bench press, heavy to failure
- standing barbell curls, heavy to failure

Problem solved.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
lets take a look at some studies:

- Light slow-speed training (55-60% of 1-RM, 3 seconds for eccentric and concentric actions) has been shown to increase both muscle thickness and maximal strength [7]. The results are comparable to those obtained with heavy normal-speed training (80-90% of 1-RM, 1 second for concentric and eccentric actions).

- Both heavy (4 sets of 8-10 reps with 80-85% of 1-RM) and light training (4 sets of 18-20 reps with 65% of 1-RM) activate the expression of various genes involved in muscle growth [8].

- One 8-week study found that training with higher reps and lighter weights (3 sets of 25-35 reps) led to gains in muscle size that were on par with heavier training (3 sets of 8-12 reps) [3].

- In contrast to the conventional wisdom dictating the use of heavy weights for myofibrillar hypertrophy and lighter weights for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, high reps and light weights (4 sets of 24 reps with 30% of 1-RM) elevate myofibrillar protein synthesis in the quads for 24 hours after exercise to a far greater extent than low reps and heavy weights (4 sets of 5 reps with 90% of 1-RM) [1].

- Light training (not done to failure) also stimulates protein synthesis in connective tissue just as well as heavy training, giving it a role during injury rehabilitation to improve regeneration of connective tissue [4].

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
what a crap routine.

no need at all to do 2 kinds of leg curls.
and lunges are a complete waste of time and effort.

if u need to do 3 sets of leg press then you simply arent using enough weight or doing enough reps.

to build big legs you have to train hard. to train hard means you use all your energy. you dont have any left to spend on useless lady movements like lunges.

2-3 sets of leg press for 10-20 reps, with failure at the last rep...real failure, not just a B.S. im tired failure.
2 sets of leg curls.

finished. if u have gone hard enough then you are smashed.

swap out the press for squats every few sessions. for variety do 2 sets of extensions prior to the press.

thats it. twice a week seems excessive also. you shouldnt be able to go hard again for 5-6 days. day 3-4 soreness gone, then add 2 days or so.

too many people just dont work hard enough on legs.

Try medium intensity every second day, your legs will grow bigger! Feel fuller, be stronger, feel better.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
On leg day do:
- barbell bench press, heavy to failure
- standing barbell curls, heavy to failure

Problem solved.

LMAO  ;D

Charfman84

• Getbig III
to go to the gym week after week month after month year after year with no clear goals is a mistake

goal setting is important!

i will buy a measuring tape and measure my legs and i will train them twice a week for 2 months using only the following exercises:

leg press
seated leg curl

that. is. it !

i believe i can make NOTICABLE gains on my legs in this short time, using only the two excersises mentioned above!

training the muscle is secondary, you must envision its growth, use all mental faculties and concentrate your focus on willing the muscle to grow.  Sleep 10+ hours and focus intently at least 4 hours a day on mental focus on the growth will be insane.

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
  • All the muscle in the world!
5 gal. Synthol each outer quad.  From Greg Valentino BB'ing school,  Trenton, NJ.
I

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
some solid advice in this thread!